China Squiers when did they start?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by houseguitarshop, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

I have 13 NC's ... probably owned about 5 or 6 more. I love them. Trap tuners are probably the weakest link, but are often adequate for my needs. I've never had tuning issues with the trap tuners.

Whenever I finds an NC, I buys it ... within reasonable price.

2. FanofJapan

FanofJapan Squier Talker

Jun 23, 2019
    Uk
    I've owned YNs and now more recently, my first NC4. Which is rare here in the UK. I believe these are incredible guitars for the money and actually people are too quick to replace the pickups. The pickups are lively and are much better in my humble opinion than people care to think. But as I said that's just my opinion. They are a great base to 'mod' them, and will only go on to be future classics as more of them will be harder to find in original untouched condition, due to the modding that happens with almost any guitar on the planet!

Eddie and John Slinger like this.
  3. taddy

taddy Squier Talker

Feb 20, 2021
    St. Helens
    i just bought this Squier off the bay? full sized body not the slim affinity version i bought it for modding?
    the decal on the squier looks ok serial number is supposed to be (as it hasnt been delivered yet) yn817426 which is coming up as yako plant 1996 also has made in china under the main neck decal s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg just my thoughts :) also hoping its not fake :)

Eddie likes this.
  4. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

That's not a YN. Not sure what it is but not a YN.

YN's are 22 frets with the serial number stamped on the neck plate.

It also doesn't say Made in China on the headstock.

I've also never seen a Squier trem with only 4 screw holes.

5. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Also, there was no YN8 serial number.

YN7 was the only YN available in the USA. (Europe has YN4 through YN7).

The NC and YN lines were consolidated to the CY line in 1998 ... so the first 1998 line was CY98.

There's no YN8.

6. taddy

taddy Squier Talker

Feb 20, 2021
    St. Helens
    as i said i haven't received it yet Eddie..so i'm still in the dark about the serial its just what the seller said? on the pictures he posted there are no serial marks on show? as for the 4 point bridge? there are several guitars on this forum all showing the same bridge and made in china under the decal on the head stock with members asking the same questions, i will know more when i get my hands on it and take the neck off also the truss rod is adjusted at the heel ..i have a SE that's nice to play and i just modified an american 2006 strat for a friend with two s/duncan humbuckers and super switch wired vol/vol/tone he really likes it i was thinking of doing it to this one? but if its a fake squier i dont think i will be spending money on it. cheers Eddie.

Davis Sharp and Eddie like this.
  7. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Keep us updated. I'm assuming St. Helen's is in the USA, but if not ... that could explain the discrepancy.

8. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Dr. Squier ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    It's downriver from Portland, OR.

9. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    West Coast Landia
    Mount Saint Helens. May 18, 1980::eek:
    [​IMG]

10. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier-Meister

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    That 4 point trem is so confusing.

11. stratmanshow

stratmanshow Squier-Meister

Feb 7, 2014
    BC Canada
    I don't know much about MIC's so maybe the shape of the tuner covers has been mimiced but they look like still currently available Gotoh economy tuners used off and on MIJ Squiers and Fenders since 84 or 5. Not that that makes them any good...same old design under the can

12. taddy

taddy Squier Talker

Feb 20, 2021
    St. Helens
    I'm from St Helens Merseyside England Eddie :) but i have visited Boston New Orleans Chicago drove up from Sandiago to San Francisco in a rental up the big sur coastline, visited Kern river up in the Nevada mountains and several other places i had a great time, round about 2006 the food is amazing.

Eddie likes this.
  13. taddy

taddy Squier Talker

Feb 20, 2021
    St. Helens
    My thoughts exactly? it gets delivered Thursday so i will know more when i get the neck off and have a look inside, also the head stock underneath the logo doesn't have the slight curve its dead straight? really weird? anyhow i will keep all informed :) i have seen 4 early Squier guitars with this same bridge & head stock? i cant see different people modding the Squier this way using the same bridge? doesn't make sense. That serial number doesn't show anywere and the seller has not mailed me back where he got the information from? so i'm well confused to if its real or a fake.

14. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    It could be a European version of a guitar we don't have in the States. That would explain a bunch of things.

Sorry, I just assumed St. Helen's was near Mt. St. Helen's.

taddy likes this.
  15. nomadh

nomadh Squier-Nut

Jun 11, 2010
    SD CA
    Dont rush it. The US is just a few behind in line next :)

16. taddy

taddy Squier Talker

Feb 20, 2021
    St. Helens
    OK I stripped it down after delivery and found pv-4 in the neck pocket, so it's definitely a peavy body? The neck has a serial number on the heel and the heel truss rod works well the serial number I stated earlier was nowhere to be found although on lifting the pickgaurd I noticed it had full sized pots and old type rocker 5 way switch? See pics? i have now decided to carry on with upgrades as neck produced a nice tight low action I will post pics as it takes shape twin seymour duncans and a 5 way super switch plus fender cts pots and orange drop cap wired vol vol tone.

Attached Files:

mduganjr likes this.