China Squiers when did they start?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by houseguitarshop, Jul 30, 2010.

1. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    Yeah, that's what I should have said. Not 2009. I new it was not 1990, I'm not sure they were made in China back then?

2. sonicgene

sonicgene Squier Talker

Dec 10, 2013
    Germany
    More Fotos.......

More Fotos.......

by the way, this bargain sound really marvelous....

;-))))))))))

held it´s place even against a 83 Tokai Goldstar, which i sold....

Attached Files:

3. sonicgene

sonicgene Squier Talker

Dec 10, 2013
    Germany
    "YN5" = made by Yako in 1995

definetly not so easy to Date....

if you take it Yako wise

"YN5" = made by Yako in 1995

1999 / 2009

but 2009 is impossible i have it from a Guy was Talking about the 90ies......

have it for 3 Years now.....

4. turbokev

turbokev Squier-Meister

Jul 22, 2010
    NH
    I have a NC 1996..

I replaced all the electronics with CV50's stuff and added a mint guard..
    Its a great player..

[​IMG]

5. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    Look for this kind of headstock, notice the bullet series on the ball end and the truss rod adjustment in the neck heel. I missed one 5 miles from me a few years back and am still waiting for it to resurface. This is not the exact one from around here, but one on strat-talk for reference.

Attached Files:

6. turbokev

turbokev Squier-Meister

Jul 22, 2010
    NH
    I do have that headstock, however my truss is up top..

[​IMG]

7. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    Hey Turbo, did those tuners come on that guitar? There is a story behind those early china squier's.

8. turbokev

turbokev Squier-Meister

Jul 22, 2010
    NH
    No .. forgot to mention I replaced those..

I did use the insert, but the tuner itself was replaced..

This is one of the old tuners.. 4 were 'acceptable' but 2 were junk so I swapped them out.

[​IMG]

The tuners on the guitar now are the vintage style that GFS sells..

9. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    USA
    That's what I thought, but you never know with squier's. I have been waiting on a guy about 5 miles from me to post his again to buy it. He bought it new and it is unplayed. Fingers crossed. How do you like yours?

10. turbokev

turbokev Squier-Meister

Jul 22, 2010
    NH
    The weight and the neck are great.. but the sound is 100%
    Classic Vibe 50's Strat.. I had a set of electronics left over from
    a recent build..and they sound significantly better than the
    stock pickups that were in it.. So between that and the tuners,
    it's a pretty nice guitar for short money.
    (I traded a MIM Strat body for the whole NC guitar.. it was very
    dirty but after a couple hours of love and setup, it's a decent player)

Here's a shot of the whole guitar..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  11. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Squier-holic

Apr 19, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Depends on who you talk to. While Taiwan effectively governs itself, mainland China does not recognize Taiwan's independence and considers it a rogue rebel state. This has been true since the effective end of the Chinese Civil War in the late 1940s when the Nationalist forces led by Chiang Kai-shek were defeated by Mao's "communist" army and forced to retreat to the island then known as "Formosa", now known as Taiwan. FWIW, many Nationalists still consider themselves the true government of China and don't recognize the legitimacy of the "communist" government of the mainland.

No longer completely true. The UK's lease on Hong Kong expired back in 1997 and control reverted to China. While the Chinese allow Hong Kong a greater degree of autonomy than most of the rest of their holdings, the Hong Kong government ultimately answers to Bejing. And in 2017 China's control will increase as the transition period ends.

12. Newtopian

Newtopian New Member

Feb 11, 2014
    california
    I don't think any squiers were made in taiwan

There seems to be a belief that some Yako Squiers were made inside Taiwan, but I don't think this is accurate unless it specifically says so on the label. If it reads Made In China, like on the neckplates from these early china/taiwan squiers, I'm pretty sure that means the mainland.

This doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but a product produced in Taiwan would likely never bear the mark "made in china". I personally have never seen it, and even wikipedia says taiwan doesn't do that (I know wiki isn't considered the most reliable source). The closest I've seen to a made in china label from taiwan is some products from the 80s and 90s marked "made in taiwan r.o.c." or "made in r.o.c." (Republic of China), and nowadays it seems the r.o.c. part is usually left off.

If anyone can confirm that any early Yako Squiers were manufactured in Taiwan, please do! It's commonplace for taiwanese businesses, like Yako, to do manufacturing in china.

I chalk up the made in taiwan claim to internet guitar mythology reinforced through repetition, but I have no way to prove my theory. Although maybe someone can disprove it.

13. barakimou

barakimou Squier-Nut

Jul 27, 2010
    Belgium
    According to Tony Bacon squier's bible, the first model produced in china was in 1995.

14. gwince

gwince Squier Talker

Jan 9, 2013
    Leeds, UK
    If it counts for any valuable addition to the discussion, I have a 1996 Taiwan Squier Strat, bought in 1997.

[​IMG]

15. UncleTed

UncleTed Squier-Meister

Jul 5, 2012
    Texas
    I had an NC4 serial stamped on the neck plate. I haven't seen earlier than that.

16. UncleTed

UncleTed Squier-Meister

Jul 5, 2012
    Texas
  17. tokaiguy3

tokaiguy3 Squier Talker

Jan 29, 2014
    Carrollton Tx
    I did time at Guitar Center in 1995 for about a month and they were selling Squier from China and they were really poor!

18. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Squier-holic

Apr 19, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    Definitely wrong. It was 1994. In this thread alone someone posted a neck plate for an NC4...

19. finn_vintager

finn_vintager New Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Finland
    I have also guitar with identical NC4 neck plate sn NC436511. Sorry, no picture this time. My phone has a bad camera.
    ...but this guitar is not Squier it is a SUNN Mustang (by Fender). Anyway guitar is 100% identical with mid 90`s squier strats (China,Taiwan). Same tuners, same vintage style bridge, alder body. 8 hole pickguard. Guitar is currently under restauration and will be ready in few weeks.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  20. tvize3

tvize3 New Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Burbank,CA
    So is this a 1993 Squier Strat?

[​IMG]

Attached Files: