China Squiers when did they start?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by houseguitarshop, Jul 30, 2010.

1. houseguitarshop

houseguitarshop Squier-holic

Apr 1, 2010
    hello, everyone,

some of you may have seen I working on a time line of squier models (the squier history thread)

well I have ran into a wall,

I thought Squier started makeing guitars in china in 1999 but now I have found some bullet squiers with an NC serial number and made in china and the owners are saying they date to 1996 on a different thread

does ayone have one, and confirm when they bought it? I am not a member of the other thead and it is a few years old.

or better yet, does anyone know when squier started makeing guitars in china?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
    mduganjr and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  2. ratdog472

ratdog472 Squier-holic

Jun 17, 2010
    Austin MN
    I can vouch for the pre 99 ones. I have a 98 affinity that is chinese.

3. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I'm thinking mid 90's .. CY serials

4. Robb.

Robb. Squier Talker

Jan 6, 2010
    Sussex, England
    Im pretty sure they made them pre 99, ive played 98 china made squier strat...

5. mightymouse55

mightymouse55 Squier Talker

Mar 8, 2011
    jersey shore
    chinese bullets

I own a 1994 China Bullet serial # starts with NC..

6. uglyvw

uglyvw Squier-Meister

Dec 13, 2010
    Little Rock, AR
    My 98 affinity is a nc serial #, and in my research, I saw other affinity models from 96-98, I'm glad to have stumbled onto mine, since it is a full thickness alder body, 22 fret neck and the wider nut, compared to the later affinity models. I think the nc serial guitars are kind of a short run jewel in the squier line.

7. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Squier-holic

Apr 19, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    I think these and the YN4 made by Yako in Tiawan are about the earliest Chinese Squiers I've ever heard of.

8. Hiker

Hiker Squier-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Suffice it to say that there are two countries with the word China incorporated in their country's name.

CA serial (AXL plant) Peoples Republic of China-called China by the U.S.
    CY serial (Yako plant) Republic of China-called Taiwan by westerners.

IMO, you will not find CA serial numbered Squier guitars that would coincide with a manufacture date of pre-2000. You will find serial numbers etched, or inscribed on Taiwan (Yako) made instruments from the 1990's-not to be confused with China!

CY serial numbers are Taiwan, not the country aka China. A history lesson will straighten out anyone reading this to the fact that Taiwan (ROC) is not the same country as People's Republic of China (PRC) called China by westerners!

It is not accurate to call CA & CY serial numbered Strats 'China' due to the legal and political differences between Mainland China (PRC) and Taiwan. BTW, Taiwan has a democratic form of government unlike PRC.

Here's a very interesting Affinity .pdf from Squier:
    http://www.squierguitars.com/pdf/current/Strat/Affinity Strat- Service.pdf

9. stradovarious

stradovarious Squier-Meister

Dec 24, 2010
    shangri-La
    Thanks, man. You are right to post this. We do tend to generalize, I think people are referring to geographical areas though, as in "North America" which includes two distinct and separate Countries with separate governments too. I think when Westerners discuss products and they use the word "China" they are not distinguishing between Taiwan or China because they are not talking politics or governments but rather the general direction that the ship sailed from when it delivered the product cartons to the Western shipping dock.
    Yeah I was in Beijing myself not long ago, and Tianjin too- saw a bunch of the interior countryside of mainland PRC and jogged on the great Wall at various points, very amazing, with another week in Taiwan and I can concur with you that they are in fact as different as Norway is from Australia, and that is not to compare these four countries. Just a figure of speech. Westerners discussing these products are just talking similar general geographical region, if viewed from outer space (and very general, at that).:)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  10. Hiker

Hiker Squier-Meister

Feb 20, 2011
    Alabama
    When I was searching for 'serial number' photos from 1990's Squiers (made in Taiwan or mainland China) through various forums, and search engines-yesterday, I reached one conclusion...

They must be really tough to find, and I'm like a ferret-during a web search!

Who has photos of 1990's Squier serial numbers other than Japan, Korea, Mexico, or USA?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  11. stratphobic

stratphobic Squier-holic

Jan 15, 2011
    Arkansas
    isn't taiwan considered part of and governed by mainland china?

nomadh likes this.
  12. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Nope. Seperate country. Even Hong Kong is not governed by mainland China

13. sonicgene

sonicgene Squier Talker

Dec 10, 2013
    Germany
    Here it is, the CY90 "China" Yako 1990 Serial Strat Squier.........

Here it is, the CY90 "China" Yako 1990 Serial Strat Squier.........
    you want more ?

Attached Files:

14. mikm

mikm Dr. Squier

Jun 4, 2012
    NY
    That,s not 2009 is it? CBS headstock.

15. houseguitarshop

Apr 1, 2010
    that is a 1999, I have a cy9 serial squier standard.

it can hold its own next to some of the other great squiers.

16. houseguitarshop

Apr 1, 2010
    1994 is the earliest we have seen so far.

17. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Definitely two different countries. When Mao led his revolution, the powers that were overthrown moved into Taiwan. Probably the only reason that mainland China hasn't invaded Taiwan is because of US support of Taiwan. As for Hong Kong, it was annexed into China in '97 but there is an agreement that China made with the British that changes to Hong Kong would not take place for fifty years after the handover, i.e. 2047. The prevailing thought was, China will leave Hong Kong alone as it is the financial epicenter for all of Asia and allowing Hong Kong to remain Hong Kong fills the Chinese coffers and allows China to fund their communism through their capitalism.

18. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    I don't think that's a '90 because of the big head stock. With the exception of the MIJ SQs, I don't think that they used the big headstocks unitl the late 1990s. Not saying that I'm right but it's just more consistent with a late 90s, 2000's model.

19. sonicgene

sonicgene Squier Talker

Dec 10, 2013
    Germany
    "CY97" = made by Yako in 1997.

Hi Folks,

to my understanding, of the Info´s on the net

For example

"CY97" = made by Yako in 1997.

my CY90 is 1990 ??????????

not ?

Attached Files: