China made Strat serial CXS

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by sooper8, Jan 12, 2015.

1. sooper8

sooper8 Squier-Meister

Mar 13, 2012
    UK
    Hi all,
    looking for a little insight into these before I make a drive to go see it.
    Seller has a made in China Squier Strat with serial beginning in CXS which the wiki page has this to say of it...

'Some Squiers that are sold only in the Chinese and Asian markets are made by Axl in China, these guitars usually have the serial number starting with CXS; with the 'X' standing for 'Axl'."

Would these be any comparison with a Standard or CV in terms of build and playability?
    Is it worth making a drive to see/play?

Any pointers appreciated
    Thanks

Flying Z likes this.
  2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    A lot of the CSX are Squier SE's - nice modding platform but not as good as a Standard or CV by any means out of the box. Ceramic pickups etc. What's the price on it? Do you have photos?

drewcp and Flying Z like this.
  3. SquierJesus

SquierJesus Squier-Meister

Oct 11, 2014
    Fort Smith, AR
    The squiers that were made at the AXL factory will usually have a serial number sticker rather than being painted directly on the headstock. The serial will start will most likely start with CXS or in rarer instances CAE. AXL made the much desired SE (Special Edition) model. The SE is desired because it has a full size 1 3/4 agathis body. Most Bullet and Affinity models are thin 1 1/2 bodies. The SE measures 43mm at the nut. Most Affinity models have 41mm nuts. They were made well, have fantastic 9.5 radius C shaped necks and they are just an all around perfect modding platform. They are very easy to identify due to the logo just saying "STRAT" on the headstocks, as well as them being the model of Squier to have a Squier logo stamped into the sealed tuners. I think most people consider them inbetween an Affinity and a Standard as far as quality. I see tons of them on Craigslist for around $100 but most of the time you can get them for much less in pawn shops and just negotiating.

My 2009 SE...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. sooper8

sooper8 Squier-Meister

Mar 13, 2012
    UK
    I can only get this thumbnail type pic off the selling site.
    I think from what I hear I might give it a miss as I don't really have the cash to start another modding job with pups and such like. The guy wants £120 , so isn't really giving it away.
    Thanks for info everyone

[​IMG]

Flying Z likes this.
  5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Yeah if you were expecting a really high end squier that wouldn't need any mods....this isn't it...but it's a great modding platform, it's a little better than an Affinity model in my eyes....

drewcp likes this.
  6. adam1138

adam1138 Squier Talker

Jan 25, 2015
    earth
    i bought that yesterday. £50 with the amp etc :)

drewcp likes this.
  7. mwmeci

mwmeci Squier-Meister

Jun 28, 2015
    Minneapolis
    "The SE measures 43mm at the nut." Quote from Squier Jesus.
    Both my SE's ( 2000 & 2004) have 42mm nuts.

StratVegas and Las Palmas Norte like this.
  8. Paully

Paully Squier-holic

May 29, 2014
    Maine USA
    Yup,
    My SE is the 42mm as well.

9. willy99999

willy99999 New Member

Jul 4, 2016
    California
    SE Special serial #CXS made in Usa. Information Squier Official..

10. Lenny

Lenny New Member

May 7, 2017
    Matthews NC
    Call Fender they have the info on Squiers too.

11. delliott101

delliott101 Squier Talker

Oct 23, 2020
    Crestline OH
    I got one of these yesterday for modding, including a refinish in LPB or Ocean Turq lacquer. Are the tuners any good? And I wonder if a Squier Classic Vibe trem bridge will be a direct replacement. Thanks