Chevy Bowtie guitar build

miket1117

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 31, 2018
Kansas City
Few form factors I've aleays loved in a car are the long hood short deck coupe (eg: 70s Camaro, Datsun Zs, superbird Thunderbirds), the fastback sports coupes (Fox Mustang GTs, AE86 Hachirokus), the big flat brick cruisers (1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with a mild angle drop, low profile 24" front tires and 28" fat rear tires and a hairy 455/TH400/12-bolt).
mention of the Cutlass reminded me of this... an '87 Buick Grand National GNX. (okay, now back to our usual thread... sorry, @beerbelly!)

1653225865540.png

Hugh2

Squier Talker
Apr 29, 2022
Kentucky
Thank you for the kind words. However, I decided long ago to not do commissioned work. I'm retired and just do this for fun; commissions would be too much like work, with expectations, deadlines, etc. I do occasionally put my guitars for sale on Reverb.com or Craigslist; I recently sold a ZZ Top fuzzy spinning guitar and a car muffler guitar there:

View attachment 233788 View attachment 233789
ZZ Top

Ever thought of building a Lone Star Beer bottle guitar ? Should be a hoot !

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
My good friend has a '72 340 Challenger, and I've thought about making him a Mopar guitar, but I can't find any Mopar or Challenger logos that would work well as a guitar body.
For starters, here's the the mopar logo that has been in use since 1964.

16536723135081291020182266957761.png 16536724249876192160423242595838.png

For the Challenger, the brand has mostly been using either the word Challenger as it's logo. In fact for most part Chrysler had mostly used wordmarks or more traditional heraldery type logos, both of which dont translates well to guitar body ideas.

Chrysler itself didnt use anything other than the old world style heraldic emblems until 1962 when they started using the pentastar logo, which remained in use on and off until about 2010 after Chrysler got bought out by Fiat.

1653674299177130981761691019975.png

So right off the bat, I can envision either a round guitar or a pentagon guitar.

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
Yes, and neither seems to work well as a guitar body.

LOL, I guess not, unless ye want to use a round body with a notch in bottom so the Floyd Rose microtuners are hanging off the middle of the M like those headless guitars trem. Can ye imagine how much travel it could do then? LOL 😆 Personally I'd keep the head on the neck tho.

The pentastar would be a pentagon body with a raised point center. I'd consider a HH hardtail for this one.

Personally I'd rather be doing that Pontiac V and paint it red metallic and use bright chrome body binding. Chrome covered HH, chrome Floyd Rose. Chrome Poncho emblem as the neck plate, probably use one of the chrome and red epoxy metal hubcap emblem. The headstock also be shaped the same as the emblem so it's a double V guitar with an inline-6 tuner configuration. Id go reversed Inline-6 chrome locker tuners and chrome lock nuts.

However, your friend is a Mopar/Challenger guy. The other option I could think of is to build a "normal" guitar, whether it be a Strat, Tele, LP, V, etc. and style it in same manner as his car. Same Dupont body paint, use same body chrome and striping/markings (if any). Heck maybe take one of those Challenger fender wordmark and tastefully incorporate it onto the body.

Lanaka

Squier-holic
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
However, your friend is a Mopar/Challenger guy. The other option I could think of is to build a "normal" guitar, whether it be a Strat, Tele, LP, V, etc. and style it in same manner as his car. Same Dupont body paint, use same body chrome and striping/markings (if any). Heck maybe take one of those Challenger fender wordmark and tastefully incorporate it onto the body.

Take it a couple steps further, adapt the hubcap emblem into the neck plate, use a lefty Rhoads V body but cut the body cavities as a normal righty. This way the long V leg is the bottom one then ye have PLENTY room to install the Challenger name along the bottom edge of the body top, along with chrome binding on the top and bottom body edges.