Cheap Pickups

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by THRobinson, Oct 20, 2020.

1. THRobinson

THRobinson Squier-Meister

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Good call.

Samsung browser, never tried it before, tried to boot me to .ca but was able to choose to stay .com and brings up the full list.

Very weird... wonder why it shows 9 items... you'd assume it would show all or none.

drewcp likes this.
  2. Nduro

Nduro Squier Talker

Oct 17, 2020
    Poland
    I'm negotiating a discount because I've already bought a lot from them. I am also thinking about arming my telecaster. Donlis Vintage 50's Alnico 5
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_BPeGTA

3. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    strat81, drewcp and GunnyPlaysLoud like this.
  4. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychopathic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    I have used Wilkinson pups before, very decent.
    I Also used Warman (from UK) and Dragonfire hotrails, very good also.

5. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Those Donlis ones look identical to the GM 70s ones. Even the specs are the same. They're probably both from Artec's OEM offerings.
    s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg

THRobinson and drewcp like this.
  6. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    If you're willing to spend a little more, you can get the Fender Deluxe Drive and Tex Mex sets for $79, the Yosemite set for $99, and the Pure Vintage 64 set for $109 from Sweetwater.
    I put the Yosemites in my LPB Bullet Tele, and I love them!

7. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Nope... you missed in my OP where I was using Canadian dollars as currency. ;)

$79USD is $105CAD, plus about $20 to ship and possibly another $20 for duty fees... those $79 pickups are almost $150 for me. :confused:

drewcp likes this.
  8. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Figured it out for Guitar Madness... those 9 items that I can see on ebay.ca have shipping rates to Canada. Everything else they have has no shipping to Canada and says may not ship to my country.

When on eBay.ca or .com... if logged in, it doesn't matter if I say Canada, North America, Worldwide, etc... it see's my postal code as a destination and auto-filters out the rest of their stuff.

I'll ask... but suspect that after exchange and shipping, I might have to try AliExpress instead.

Any particular ones.... mostly into classic rock, rock, heavy rock... I'd like to start learning blues... no country music. :D

EDIT - Nope... says will not ship internationally. When I click to contact the seller, it says seller will not respond because of my location and won't let you email them. So... those are a no go and a bit of a disappointment.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  9. nomadh

nomadh Squier-Nut

Jun 11, 2010
    SD CA
    Not all. I hated the GM firebird copies. Turned out 5o be exactly the same as the cheap ones that came in the washburn ps10. Made me sound like paul Stanley. :)

cool gouhl likes this.
  10. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Completely unrelated but nice avatar Zim.

11. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Thanks... picked it years ago, probably over a decade now... I want to change it but had it so long on so very many sites, I feel committed to it now. :)

cool gouhl likes this.
  12. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    Bootstrap is $9.99usd to ship to ON.

So $79cad shipped?

Viking likes this.
  13. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Yup. About right... it's a gamble with duty and import fees. Guitar Fetish and Philadelphia Luthier, never get hit with duty... but ever so often something from the USA or UK shows up with duty that costs half what the item did.

I bought Warman pickups from UK, which ships DHL which is the worst... paid $90 for pickups and got hit $47 for duty when they arrived. Ouch.

I wanted the IronGear, sounded great, but about $110, and they ship through DHL so just assuming another $40 when arrives.

14. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    I wish I weren't so lazy, and had my workshop done. I have the plans drawn up for a pickup winder. Be handy right now.

Project already been delayed long enough, gotta just grab a pair. Probably grab the AliExpress ones depending on what the shipping ETA is.

15. Viking

Viking Squier-Meister ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Apr 10, 2010
    Winnipeg,Mb Canada
  16. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Price is right... anyone have experience with them? I assume the Strat pickups were decent?

I want cheap but better than stock Squier... though $24.85CAD and free ship, isn't too shabby....

Viking likes this.
  17. crang

crang Squier Talker

Oct 21, 2020
    united states
    I'm also a fan of the Guitar Madness pickups. I have a set of the premium Alnico II strat pickups and two sets of the 57 Special Alnico II pickups. I haven't done any direct comparing to expensive pickups though. I put them in Squiers and they mopped the floor with the pickups that were in those guitars. They have nice character to them and don't sound offensive in any way.

18. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The Fleors seem very similar to the GM and Donlis ones, and sound good in a YouTube video I saw of their Strat alnicos.

Viking likes this.
  19. THRobinson

Aug 28, 2017
    Zurich, ON (Canada)
    Sigh... but I can't get them. :(

20. Nduro

Nduro Squier Talker

Oct 17, 2020
    Poland
    I bought from Aliexpress with dhl, ups, fedex, I always had customs and taxes added, now I choose the cheapest mail option and wait for parcels from China for two months, but never paid extra fees, even for electronics and I buy a lot from the Chinese

Viking likes this.