Candy Tangerine underway

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by 5thumbs, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Vott

Vott Squier-Nut

Apr 21, 2010
    Louisville, Ky.
    Hey 5thumbs, Willis music was selling a David Gilmour Fender Strat (available only through them) wired like his guitar. But for some reason instead of black they painted it some flavor of tangerine.
    Man it sure was beautiful, I'm wondering if you have seen one and if it influenced you color decision?

2. 5thumbs

5thumbs Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    usa
    No. I had no idea fender offers a Tangrine colorbut i didn't see that one.

3. motoman45

motoman45 Squier-holic

Dec 29, 2009
    portland, Or
    love pics.... gives me inspiration...

4. Vott

Vott Squier-Nut

Apr 21, 2010
    Louisville, Ky.
    Yeah I asked the salesman about it, he said it was special made for willis. Only 100 or something like that were made. Anyway I have a general idea how your guitar is gonna look........ Fantastic! Cant wait for the pics

5. 5thumbs

5thumbs Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    usa
    Well i have had a few set backs, the paint showed last weekend ( about 3 weeks to get)! My lungs have been acting up and painting would not have been the smart thing to do. But im back for now i got some Tangerine paint and health is better so look out this weekend, im a paintin redneck. I gota do something im going crazy just setting here.

6. DagerOne

DagerOne Squier Talker

Aug 12, 2010
    Fishers, IN
  7. 5thumbs

5thumbs Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    usa
    Yep respirator is a must. I have some real good equip. im just unlucky to have some lung damage that slows me down from time to time.

8. 5thumbs

5thumbs Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    usa
    It's on the way to orange!

Attached Files:

9. peskypesky

peskypesky -----------

Dec 19, 2009
    NYC
    excellent! i recently played a Custom Shop 1964 tangerine strat that was the most beautiful strat i've ever seen. hope yours comes out just as pretty.

10. edandis

edandis Squier-holic

Jan 12, 2010
    Orlando, Fl.
    Interesting color, can't wait to see the finished product.

11. 5thumbs

5thumbs Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    usa
    Here is the final color, its hard to get a good photo of the color.You can't see the candy color in the pic. Next up (when its dry) sanding, dump on the clear sand buff.

Attached Files:

12. Strat-toter

Strat-toter Squier-holic

Aug 12, 2010
    USA
    That looks like a real pretty guitar in the making! I had a Candy Tanger a few years back...way pretty color, good luck with the build!

13. 5thumbs

5thumbs Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    usa
    The pic. don't show the color or the candy pearl at all once it drys and i can get some clear on it mabe the color will show up better in pics.?

14. jmain

jmain Squier Talker

Jul 26, 2010
    Alexandria, VA
    That looks awesome. I dig the color. I have a black Squier Jazz Bass V that I wanted to refin candy orange. That's inspiring, but can't see me doing it.

15. dman

dman Squier-Nut

Dec 12, 2009
    Antioch, IL
    Thumbs, that's gorgeous!

A question, though (and forgive me if you answered this in a previous post); did you just sand, then primer the original black finish or did you strip it down to wood?

16. Sparkfire

Sparkfire Squier-holic

I can hardly wait to see the finished axe. I think your colors will really show through once it dries and ya get the clear on. Should almost look 3-D. I see awesome.

17. 5thumbs

5thumbs Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    usa
    Thanks,
    I block sanded to the wood but i could have used striper.I was to cheep to go buy some.:eek:

My pearl white P/G should be here this week now im getting close :D

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  18. 5thumbs

5thumbs Squier-holic

Dec 19, 2009
    usa
    Update ........ some phots of the loaded p/u just set on to get the look. still needs more clear and sanded & buffed some more. I like it so far. I hope yall get a better idea of the color in the photo's here? Even in the photos here it looks darker than what it is, real hard to get the true color in photos.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  19. GukkanGwnarkill

GukkanGwnarkill Squier-Meister

Jul 20, 2010
    Mississippi
  20. peskypesky

peskypesky -----------

Dec 19, 2009
    NYC
    loving the tangerine, not loving the pearl pg.