Can it be addictive

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hendo76, May 29, 2020.

1. Hendo76

Hendo76 Squier Talker

May 29, 2020
    Middlesbrough
    Just bought my first squier, it’s a tele bullet, I’m itching to get a strat bullet now, quite a few variations, HSS, SSS, Hardtail etc, what would you advise for a newby

2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    My advice is to find a good deal, and make it what you want. I like trem equipped strats, but I deck them to be similar to a hard tail that can be converted back if I ever sell

MI redneck, fuelish, Taurus and 4 others like this.
  3. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I like the Squier Bullets Strats with a tremolo. I also deck them and don't ever use the bar.
    Hard tails are cool too though. I guess I just like the extra mass the tremolo gives you even though I'm not dive bombing.
    That said the tremolo bar is nice to chase feedback but you would probably want a humbucker if you are doing that.
    Allot of options depending on what you want to play.

4. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Once the itch starts the scratching never stops, right? Like @fadetoz I like the extra mass and weight of a healthy trem, too.. You can't beat the Strat trem for subtle pitch bending. But a friend of mine has one of the original '70s string through hard tail ash body Strats with the three screw neck and I absolutely love the way that one sounds. You'll want to try both a hard tail as well as a trem - your ears will tell you what's good.

5. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire

Take up knitting while you still can.

6. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Nut

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    Squier guitars are the Beanie Babies of the guitar world. :D Collect all three!

7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

If you're new to this stuff, you may not know about Jack Pearson yet. He has quite a few YouTube videos, and in many of them he's playing one of his stock Bullet Strats. Here's an example:

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  8. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    My advice for a newbie is to play your new guitar as much as you can. :)

9. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    Yes, it can be very addictive! I started out wanting a SSS Strat. That quickly turned into me wanting a Strat in every conceivable pickup configuration. And each one had to be a different color. Then the next logical step was a Tele. You see where this is going! :)

10. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Yep, that's me.

11. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier-holic

I'm glad I have don't have it that bad. I have only one Strat, and only about a dozen guitars in total. I do want a Tele of course, and I'm still GASsing for that Taylor I fell in love with last December.

12. Guitfiddlist

Guitfiddlist Squier-Meister

Aug 16, 2019
    ‘Merka
    Welcome aboard. Just like everything else it can be addictive. Enjoy purchasing in moderation and playing obsessively. I can’t play for crap but I love to build and modify them, play a few little things on them and then sell them for new projects. I recycle my funds so I do t have much more than my initial investment. Oh and be warned, this forum will not stop your want to buy more; so when you do buy more guitars, post pics!! :rolleyes:

Eddd, MI redneck, Taurus and 2 others like this.
  13. mitch_cumsteen

mitch_cumsteen Squier-Nut

Jun 25, 2018
    Planet, Idaho
    Squier should replace, "Stop dreaming, start playing", with "Enjoy purchasing in moderation, play obsessively".

14. Barry

Barry Squier-Meister

Feb 5, 2020
    Eastleigh, UK
    A bullet Strat would be good, but if you want to mod it then maybe a secondhand Strat SE would be a better choice. Once the shops reopen in a couple of weeks, Cash Converters would be a good place to look for one. I got one for £60.

This is mine - http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/slightly-modded-se.175148/

They come in black, white, sunburst or red. If you find a red one, do share the news here as the US members will be very pleased for you and will want to congratulate you... :D

MI redneck and drewcp like this.
  15. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    Liverpool, United Kingdom
    I’d recommend the Squier Bullet HT Strat SSS. I had a rosewood one, fiesta red and I sent it back (a big mistake I should have kept it. But then it happens in life).

Reason I’d recommend the HT is because I’ve heard its easier to keep in tune than one with a trem, which is a big thing for a beginner. I don’t use trems anyway.

Reason I’d recommend SSS is because all the great Strat players had SSS’s. Rory Gallagher, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton you name them. A HSS would be more versatile and have some well-known big name players too I’m sure. But the vintage vibe and my favourite artists inspired me to choose SSS

Tbh I wish I did have HSS for versatility, but a SSS is a must and a classic.

Barry likes this.
  16. Hendo76

Hendo76 Squier Talker

May 29, 2020
    Middlesbrough
    Thankyou for the advise, yes I was leaning towards that. My finger ends are string to harden already, I’ve only been playing two weeks

MI redneck, dbrian66 and Taurus like this.
  17. jefffam

jefffam Dr. Squier

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    Hi and welcome. As @Eddie said, play the guitar to death and then a ton more, before buying another. It will better equip you to both pick one out that you like and to know what different things you like and dislike. Those things can and often do change over time.

Most important of all, have fun

18. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    You're screwed, buddy. Just like the rest of us.

Guitfiddlist, Eddd, dbrian66 and 2 others like this.
  19. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-Nut

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    The first step is admitting you have an addiction. ;)

SubSailer671 and VM51SQ like this.