Call me a butcher

Dpsixstringer

Squier-Meister
Jun 13, 2022
Reading pa
Okay, at about midnight I started what was going to be the swap of a single 500k tone pot for a 250k in my csx. I had put 62z flat poles in about a week ago and while I was digging the crystalline highs while recording, upon playback found it was too shrill. When I actually saw the squiers guts next to the guts from a mim players strat, (pots and switch already wired together) I made the decision to go ahead and put it all in and see how it sounded with the new pups. Well don't ya know that the rout for the 5 way is about 1/4" too shallow. I don't even have a wood chisel, Let alone a router, but I mean to have this done tonight. So I grab the only implements I got that will do the job. A flat blade screwdriver and a dollar store hobby knife. I scribed the edges and scored hash marks with the hobby knife, and dug out the wood chips with the screwdriver. I just finished digging the hole and repainting with graphite, now I'm gonna go solder it back together. Crude but hopefully effective.

Attachments

• IMG_20220628_021307.jpg
    IMG_20220628_021307.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220628_021205.jpg
    IMG_20220628_021205.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 28

spyhawk36

Squier-Meister
Sep 23, 2011
Detroit
If you have a file you could sharpen the screwdriver edge to make it work like a chisel. I do this with my lawnmower blade and it works well. Maybe add some black touch up paint with a small art paintbrush.

Dpsixstringer

Squier-Meister
Jun 13, 2022
Reading pa
My big fear was pokin the screwdriver through the back. But it was a successful operation almost all the way around. I miss the highs of the 500k on the neck and neck/bridge combo. But it does sound great as is and it seems like I get better pinch harmonics with the 250ks, and whether from the capacitance or just the overall better components, I'm definitely getting more dynamics. Might get 1 full size 500k tone pot and try it in the top position to get the open sounding highs back. Disclaimer: no beer was involved nor guitars harmed in any way during this production. 🤪

Dpsixstringer

Squier-Meister
Jun 13, 2022
Reading pa
If you have a file you could sharpen the screwdriver edge to make it work like a chisel. I do this with my lawnmower blade and it works well. Maybe add some black touch up paint with a small art paintbrush.
I took the pic before hitting it with the shielding paint. After it doesn't look as bad as I thought it might. Looks real good with the pickguard back in place. Overall a success.

Latest posts