By the way what was the first effects pedal you bought

Discussion in 'The Buzz Box' started by gary mitchell, Sep 21, 2020.

1. gary mitchell

gary mitchell Squier-Nut

Aug 23, 2019
    Texas
    I had one like anything else just had to learn the pedal. I used on bass worked fine. I then used with something else on a trade and it went.

Mr Bob likes this.
  2. AllroyPA

AllroyPA Squier-Axpert

Dec 14, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Ibanez MS-10 Metal Charger .. Still have it, still think it's a great pedal. (stock photo below)
    [​IMG]

so1om likes this.
  3. otisblove

otisblove Squier-Nut

Aug 19, 2016
    Chicago
    My first was one of these bad boys in the early 90’s.

76A73128-9454-4BA3-A0A4-78593A728508.jpeg

Almost 30 years later I bought this...

C374B1E2-131D-4C06-ACCE-CBA9A6B691B1.jpeg

4. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    What a friend ...

I think this was my first ever for guitar.

Ibanez CF7 chorus.png

I might have had some in the 70's when I played bass. I vaguely remember a distortion of some sort and a wha. I had an Echolette though if you can call that a pedal. Was great when we played One Of These Days from Pink Floyd.

Echolette.jpg

Shine and gary mitchell like this.
  5. mofojar

mofojar Squier-holic

May 9, 2019
    Calgary, Alberta
    I got a Zoom 505 for xmas 1999, I remember taking it to the Y2K New Years party, where I entertained people by playing riffs with various presets. Some of my earliest PC recordings were using the 505 input directly into the back of my computer, which I replaced with a GT-8 and now a GT-100. The Zoom didn't have a lot of customizability but it did warm me up to the idea of using a pedal as an interface and also to using multi-FX as part of my setup.

gary mitchell and Jmv668 like this.
  6. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    Digitech Bass Synth Wah was my first pedal...then I lost it at my first gig :(
    5CEC8F92-46E4-483F-8D52-244BA3BA7329.jpeg

gary mitchell likes this.
  7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Squier-Meister

Apr 6, 2014
    Wokingham England
    Mine was going to be a Tube Screamer, but it was too expensive (about £22 IIRC :eek: back in the early 1980s). Instead I bought a 'Coron' Distortion pedal, which is a mustard coloured pedal, that I believe is meant to be a copy of an MXR Distortion pedal. I think I paid £10 for it. Still have it, but not used very often. :)

8. factory hack

factory hack New Member

Sep 14, 2020
    Virginia
    Dunlop Cry Baby Wah I bought back in 85 that I still have today.

MrYeats, Shine and gary mitchell like this.
  9. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    I had their chorus. I can't remember anything about it though. Must not have been that great...

10. Stu-Dio

Stu-Dio Squier Talker

Dec 7, 2019
    Kirkland Quebec
    Back in '66 I used a cheap reel to reel tape machine as a Fuzz. My first purchased "pedal" wasn't a pedal as it plugged into the guitar. It was a Boss tone fuzz. That was bought in '67. I still have my OD-1. I once modded it so that the LED stays on when activated. I think they were trying to save battery power but it was a stupid move not to keep the LED on.

MrYeats and gary mitchell like this.
  11. kharrisma

kharrisma Squier Talker

May 2, 2020
    NH, USA
    Bought my first pedal during a period when I would roll a joint before I rolled out of bed, and the rest of the day would pretty much follow suit. Probably don't have to say that I don't remember much from that period in any detail. However, my first pedal was a Repeat Percussion (don't remember who made it... surprise, surprise!), a "stutter" kind of effect. I used it to play the bass solo piece in the middle of Pink Floyd's "One of These Days" (as mentioned by a previous poster)... and the funny part is that I don't even play bass. Just liked the way it sounded, and of course wanted to copy it. Used my Kimberly strat-clone to play it. Maybe '68, '69, '70 ish? I was 16 or 17... so much is a blur... Don't use pedals today, running a small Blackstar:ID Core 10 ten-watt amp with some built-in effects. I love the thing; mostly use headphones so as to not disturb the neighbors (takes very little to disturb them...)

12. One String Sam

One String Sam Squier-Nut

Jan 10, 2015
    The Moon
    A wedge shaped fuzz box, can't remember name. Bought it in 1983 and genuinely can't remember what happened to it. This was followed by a Colorsound Wah, a WEM Copicat and an Ibanez OD 850. I still have the wah and echo, the overdrive was stolen in the 80's, I always missed it despite owning a Boss OD 1 and Mega Distortion sourced an original OD 850 from Romania about five years ago.

13. TeleJason

TeleJason Squier Talker Gold Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Philly
    Gosh, it's hard to remember but I'd have to say it was an EHX Soul Food in 2017.
    Yeah, I was strictly an acoustic player my first 35 years of guitar.

14. bolloxbollox

bolloxbollox Squier Talker

DOD FX-52 fuzz - still have it - used on Bass &/or Guitar for years
    dod-fx52-classic-fuzz.jpg

15. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I bought a floor tuner and this Boss Blues Driver at about the same time. The first pedals I ever owned, about twenty years ago. Still have both. I could've (and likely should've) stopped there, once I had my Vox wah, that is.

[​IMG]

TeleJason and gary mitchell like this.
  16. Jatmosphere

Jatmosphere New Member

Sep 14, 2020
    Western Mass
    My first was a MXR Phase 45 in ‘81. Great pedal. Wish I still had it.

17. gcvsa

gcvsa Squier Talker

Mar 30, 2015
    US
    My first pedal was a Boss RV-2 Digital Reverb, bought new at Sam Ash on 48th Street in Manhattan in about 1990 or 1991. I paid $69, because it was on clearance sale. The RV-2 was, if you can believe it, not very popular when it was first released, primarily because it was the first pedal Boss made that could not use a battery. It used so much power that Boss didn't even put battery leads in the case, but instead shipped it in a large box with a PSA-120 adapter (the one in this picture is incorrect, but this was the only pic I could find with the box).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Bought this one but it put so much hum into the system. Got rid of it and never bought another one.. Screenshot_20200925-101117.png

TeleJason and gary mitchell like this.
  19. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    download.jpeg DiMarzio very metal. My brother has it now. At the time I didn't know about the RAT, but I think it's in that style. I didn't care for the pedal too much to be honest.

20. Fathand

Fathand New Member

Aug 27, 2020
    Shetland
    Used EHX Electric Mistress flanger & Boss stereo chorus, £40 the pair in early 80s. No idea what happened to 'em. Which is a shame.