Buyer's remorse response; what will happen to me?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Ralph124C41, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I have never and never will try to return anything unless there is something wrong with it that the seller didn't war me of...Matter of honor to me..
    I buy it and it's mine..If I don't like it I'll get rid of it..But never a return..
    YMMV..

2. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Are those the values of a different time? Or are they ones we develop over time?

?????

In any case I'm right there with you Papa. Or at least trying hard to catch up! :)

-don

jefffam, mb doug and duzie like this.
  3. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Here's a bit of an ironic update on this issue:

I don't know if I mentioned it but I played the two guitars and their playability seemed very similar, except I think the FG 830 has a slightly slimmer neck profile.

So I got out my measuring ruler (I wished I had calipers). The FG, as advertised, has a 1 11/16-inch nut. The Alvarez, which was supposed to have a 1 3/4-inch nut width, ALSO HAS A 1 11/16-INCH NUT! (Sorry for yelling but I was amazed)

So just to prove I wasn't crazy I measured my other two Alvarez guitars with supposedly the 1 3/4-inch nut width. And both had those 1 3/4-inch widths.

I have no idea why I have an AD710 with the slimmer nut width. It may be because this was an FSR model sold at Guitar Center/Musician's Friend and it was cheaper than the regular AD 70. However I was told it had the same specs but just wasn't as "blingy" as the regular model.

I don't know why but my ruler doesn't lie. So the irony is that I bought this FG 830 primarily, as somebody stated, to get a guitar with a 1 11/6-inch nut width ... and I already had one but didn't know it.

So I will be returning the FG 830 as I just can't defend my keeping it.

Thanks for your suggestions and I'm sorry I didn't measure the two nut widths in the first place.

StormCaster, mb doug, so1om and 2 others like this.
  4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    It's what I've learned Don...Wasn't always of that mind set..I'm now a much happier man..

Bob the builder and mb doug like this.
  5. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Uh huh. Is there any more important lesson in life?

All joy to you sir! :)

-don

mb doug likes this.
  6. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    If it's in great shape they can sell it again to somebody that will be thrilled with it .

Take it on back ;)

7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    The Yamaha's at least in great shape; I'd almost say excellent (does a bad Mr. Burns impression. LOL) It's really a great guitar ... but I just don't need it.

Btw, I emailed the Alvarez rep who told me that in 2014 Alvarez changed most of its non-lowest-tier models (the RDs) to the 1 3/4-inch nut width. I got mine used in April 2014. He said that the changeover was not all at one time as it was a "running" change and so some guitars still were sold with the 1 11/16-inch nut width. So apparently I got one of those earlier models ... which I didn't know ever existed. (I wonder if that raises the resale price a little.)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    fattboyzz likes this.
  8. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    LA / Denver
    You can avoid a shipping fee by simply returning it locally. Otherwise, I see no reason any returner would expect not to pay return shipping.

Shine likes this.
  9. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I think it's up to the store. I've never had a true buyer's remorse return on an item I got from another store. I had one years ago on a used Applause I bought from the local Guitar Center and that was no problem. I'm OK with paying the shipping charge and state tax as it would be about $23 or so. As I said it's not defective, it's just as pictured and described and so there is nothing wrong with it from a merchant's point of view.

10. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    btw I just checked with my local GC manager and I would have to pay for shipping. So ...

11. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    It’s been three days now, I’m surprised you don’t have it over with...

12. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    It's been three days now, I'm surprised it took you that long to criticize one of my posts. You're generally much quicker. I'm concerned about you ....

13. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    If it was a used guitar you have to pay the shipping to the store or to you if shipped to your address. You do not have to pay any further shipping if you return it to your local store. I returned some pickups bought online from guitar center to the local store on the advice of the CSR at guitar center’s help line one time. They happily refunded the price of the pickups but not the shipping to my address. So take it back and get your money. They will sell it again for the same price. The only one out anything is you since you paid to have it shipped to you to try it out. There is no penalty to you or them unless you did more than just try it out.

14. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I'm sorry I guess i didn't make myself clear.

I won't have to pay for return shipping if I bring it to my store. But I won't be reimbursed for the shipping charge to the store. So in other words I should get everything back except the flat shipping charge plus the state sales tax that is imposed on that shipping charge ... but no new shipping charge. Sorry for my messed up explanation.

CVSteve likes this.
  15. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Not critical... just an observation... you usually don’t hesitate to return something once you determine it’s not to your specifications (even when some guys try to talk you out of it)... you’ve already said you’re willing to eat the shipping multiple times...
    I was concerned about YOU!

drewcp likes this.