Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

kwbr1966

Squier Talker
Feb 2, 2019
Netherlands
How are those Highwood saddles?
Hi, these are very good. I replaced Fender vintage saddles intentionally because the Highwoods do have string slots and an overall better design. They hold better together (so you will have a more stable bridge) and still preserve the vintage look.
See image for the differences.

Hope this helps. I bought these on eBay by the way for 18 USD including shipment. It is my first set and I am pleasantly surprised.

Attachments

• FAA3210F-CBBF-46BB-98C9-2DBF804F7697.jpeg
    FAA3210F-CBBF-46BB-98C9-2DBF804F7697.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 5
  • FD7435F3-C8A5-4DED-9E0F-9BDFF5876758.jpeg
    FD7435F3-C8A5-4DED-9E0F-9BDFF5876758.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 7

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
Republic of Squierland
I have a question for those of you who stuck with the stock bridge but replaced the saddles. I have some Tusq PQ-8000-00 2 1/16" Tele and Strat saddles that I'd like to use on my new Mustang HH (which arrives next Friday). This is the correct size and will work on the top-loading Mustang bridge, right?

Tusq.jpg
Tusq 2.jpg

One further question: Mine has the black humbuckers. I take it there is no easy way to replace the covers with white ones, nor are there metal pickup covers that will fit without rerouting the pickguard or having a new one made, right? I really don't like the look of the black pickups on the white pickguard with Lake Placid Blue and the lighter competition stripe. And I'd prefer not to replace the pickups for merely aesthetic reasons as I'm sure I'll be happy with them based on what I've heard on Youtube.
Thank you for your time and any responses. :)

1542980 - Copy.JPG

kwbr1966

Squier Talker
Feb 2, 2019
Netherlands
I have a question for those of you who stuck with the stock bridge but replaced the saddles. I have some Tusq PQ-8000-00 2 1/16" Tele and Strat saddles that I'd like to use on my new Mustang HH (which arrives next Friday). This is the correct size and will work on the top-loading Mustang bridge, right?

View attachment 234593
View attachment 234594

One further question: Mine has the black humbuckers. I take it there is no easy way to replace the covers with white ones, nor are there metal pickup covers that will fit without rerouting the pickguard or having a new one made, right? I really don't like the look of the black pickups on the white pickguard with Lake Placid Blue and the lighter competition stripe. And I'd prefer not to replace the pickups for merely aesthetic reasons as I'm sure I'll be happy with them based on what I've heard on Youtube.

View attachment 234595
The bridge string spacing is 52.5mm(2-1/16 "), like Fender Mexico, Fender Japan, Squier etc.

Individual saddle:
Length: 21.5mm(27/32")
width: 10.5mm(13/32")
metric screw thread​

Landsleaving

May 15, 2022
Dublin, Ireland
Got mine a few weeks ago and changed a ton of stuff, now it's finally ready for action.

Upgrades:
Tonerider Generator set - €100
New wiring harness/pots/switch from James' Home of Tone - €70
Graphtech saddles - €45
Graphtech nut -€12
Graphtech strong trees - €10
Kluson tuners - €25
Fret rubber - €10
Lemon oil - had it already

Then the neck refinish was sanding, tru oil and Montana gold on the headstock, with a waterslide decal from some English store. Frost and something.

Tru-oil - €15
Paint - €10
Gloss varnish - €10
Sandpaper - €3
Steel wool - €4
Decal - €12

Was it worth the final cost of €179 for the guitar + just over €300 in upgrades. Probably not! You could get a used Fender for that, but it sounds great, looks great, plays great and I enjoyed most of the process until I had to call in a luthier to fix a mess I made with wiring.

IMG_20220701_082201.jpg

IMG_20220701_082207.jpg
IMG_20220701_082211.jpg

AxelMorisson

Squier-Nut
Nov 15, 2021
Fagaras, Romania

View attachment 234593
View attachment 234594

View attachment 234595
The way to make the pickup "covers" white- nope, in fact you got black bobbins. But... where's plastic and paint... you catch my drift? :p You can EASILY make them white doing this: 1)take them outta the guitar,carefully but do NOT disconnect them from anything, we're just gonna paint the surface a bit, 2) mask heavily: use masking tape on the sides over the black textile tape on the edges. 3) use a q-tip or something and carefully dip a bit of grease on all pole-piece heads (the silver shiny metal rods) but take care not to smear on the white plastic. Or if you are a really patient person you can cut small adhesive roundels for each...ouch! 3) cover the body and neck of the guitar with some disposable wrapping of your choice... 4) take each pickup , hold it somehow and spray white paint 5) wait till dry and then carefully take off the protection from the pickups and guitar body... 6) reinstall and enjoy white pickups!
The easier and significantly more ghetto way: take one pickup out..carefully trace it on adhesive paper... the stuff stickers are made of. Use the services of a stencil cutting facility (plenty of those, I was amazed!) to carefully and correctly cut new "face covers" for the pickups, including the holes for the poles (!), they have high precision cutters that look and work like plotters but with knives... and then attach stickers on the faces. The template cutting/custom sticker factories can use plastics, transparent or matte so no "paper" in the common sense of the word. They can proudly go on those pickup bobbins no probz. Plus if you ever change your mind about the looks.. you can simply tear them off, and replace- with another color perhaps? Or leave w/o.. No alteration to the sound and still can look factory.

13druber

Squier-Meister
Oct 20, 2020
Louisville ky
Looks very nice, HNGD. But that fretboard is thirsty.. be sure to buy it a drink.. I jest of course, but do splurge some fretboard conditioner of your choice on it. It will look and feel much smoother...
That's the first thing on the list. New strings, polish the frets and treat the fretboard and I'm thinking about getting a tele half bridge for it.

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
Republic of Squierland
The way to make the pickup "covers" white- nope, in fact you got black bobbins. But... where's plastic and paint... you catch my drift? :p You can EASILY make them white doing this: 1)take them outta the guitar,carefully but do NOT disconnect them from anything, we're just gonna paint the surface a bit, 2) mask heavily: use masking tape on the sides over the black textile tape on the edges. 3) use a q-tip or something and carefully dip a bit of grease on all pole-piece heads (the silver shiny metal rods) but take care not to smear on the white plastic. Or if you are a really patient person you can cut small adhesive roundels for each...ouch! 3) cover the body and neck of the guitar with some disposable wrapping of your choice... 4) take each pickup , hold it somehow and spray white paint 5) wait till dry and then carefully take off the protection from the pickups and guitar body... 6) reinstall and enjoy white pickups!
The easier and significantly more ghetto way: take one pickup out..carefully trace it on adhesive paper... the stuff stickers are made of. Use the services of a stencil cutting facility (plenty of those, I was amazed!) to carefully and correctly cut new "face covers" for the pickups, including the holes for the poles (!), they have high precision cutters that look and work like plotters but with knives... and then attach stickers on the faces. The template cutting/custom sticker factories can use plastics, transparent or matte so no "paper" in the common sense of the word. They can proudly go on those pickup bobbins no probz. Plus if you ever change your mind about the looks.. you can simply tear them off, and replace- with another color perhaps? Or leave w/o.. No alteration to the sound and still can look factory.
Thank you, but I bought pickup covers a few weeks ago. Still need to dremel the pickguard to make 'em fit though.

hackmaster

Squier Talker
Jul 4, 2022
Palmetto, Fl.
Well, it took me two days to get through this thread and I like what I saw.
I posted a pic of my Mustang in the introductions thread, but here's a better explanation.

DSC09928.JPG

I used a trio of generic alnico Filtertron type pickups from Guitar Madness and made up a new pickguard.
Modded a B5 Bigsby with a string through shaft, 360 degree handle, & added a roller bridge.
DSC09915.JPG

Used a pair of 500k concentric pots for volume & tone.
DSC09913.JPG
Neck & bridge pickups run through the 3 way switch, then to the upper set.
Middle pickup goes through the bottom set.
It may not be perfect for everyone, but I like it.

Dave

dpang2836

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Jan 25, 2022
IDAHO

View attachment 234593
View attachment 234594

View attachment 234595
Those are Bobbins and not a Pickup Cover. You could try something like this. Might have to sand your Cutouts a little. Measurements are listed. Cover should not affect Poles. I have tried Covers and no Covers on my Mustang and didn't notice any difference. Might have raised them with Covers? Saddles should work! Those are nice!

Cochise

Squier-Meister
Sep 26, 2020
Michigan
Well, it took me two days to get through this thread and I like what I saw.
I posted a pic of my Mustang in the introductions thread, but here's a better explanation.

View attachment 237437

I used a trio of generic alnico Filtertron type pickups from Guitar Madness and made up a new pickguard.
Modded a B5 Bigsby with a string through shaft, 360 degree handle, & added a roller bridge.
View attachment 237449

Used a pair of 500k concentric pots for volume & tone.
View attachment 237439
Neck & bridge pickups run through the 3 way switch, then to the upper set.
Middle pickup goes through the bottom set.
It may not be perfect for everyone, but I like it.

Dave
Dude. That's one of the most amazing mod jobs I've ever seen. Bigsby should make their models string-through.

hackmaster

Squier Talker
Jul 4, 2022
Palmetto, Fl.
Dude. That's one of the most amazing mod jobs I've ever seen. Bigsby should make their models string-through.
Thanks man, I appreciate that. I love Bigsbys.
Calllaham has a string thru bar for Bigsbys, but it's fifty bucks.
Doesn't cost me a dime to pull the pins & drill & chamfer mine.

They also have the 360 degree arm bracket. It's fifty bucks too.
A little metal removal & polishing where the arm stop was and we're good to go.
Makes for a much nicer operation.
DSC09653.JPG
I also remove that front mounting lug in front of the spring when ever I can & put the mounting screw in the recess under the spring. Makes for a cleaner installation.

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
Republic of Squierland
"Bigsby" (which is owned by Fender) does make one, but only for guitar OEMs (I think Gretsch is the only one who has recently made such a guitar). There's no real demand for it. The Bigsby system has worked for nearly 70 years, and once you get used to changing strings on it, it is no big deal.

hackmaster

Squier Talker
Jul 4, 2022
Palmetto, Fl.
"Bigsby" (which is owned by Fender) does make one, but only for guitar OEMs (I think Gretsch is the only one who has recently made such a guitar). There's no real demand for it. The Bigsby system has worked for nearly 70 years, and once you get used to changing strings on it, it is no big deal.
True, however just because something works, doesn't mean It can't benefit from upgrading.

Cochise

Squier-Meister
Sep 26, 2020
Michigan
I've become fairly proficient with string changes on my Bigsby equipped 1478, but it's still a process that feels more cumbersome than it needs to be.

HSH Classic Vibe

Squier-Meister
May 28, 2022
Republic of Squierland
I guess my point is that the Bigsby is a classic design that has stood the test of time in spite of its limitations. Just like non-locking tuners. Changing it makes it no longer a Bigsby, which I'm okay with. But most who want a Bigsby want a Bigsby. Which is why that design endures.

Latest posts