Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. RavageTheEarth

RavageTheEarth Squier Talker

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    ALRIGHT BOYS!!

New pickguard is in! I had to dremel space for the bridge, drill new holes as only 3 of the holes actually lined up with the pickguard, and move the control plate back and drill new holes for that. It's not perfect yet, but I'm VERY happy with the results so far!

[​IMG]

rhcpschipper, Eddd, nmagi and 2 others like this.
  2. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    It looks like a $1000000 !!!

HikerDave and Eddd like this.
  3. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    I agree. Looks FANTASTIC!!!

4. TheKurdtz

TheKurdtz Squier-holic

Sep 13, 2017
    Holland
    I really like that this thread has been active for 3 years and still going strong, really shows the many ways you can take these

JoeP90 and RavageTheEarth like this.
  5. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Thanks, everyone!!! Now I'm just having some fun with it while I wait for my neck and control plate to come in. The guitar sounds great. The brass saddles on this Wilkinson bridge seriously make the guitar sing. The Pearly Gates and the '59 sound incredible and have a really cool sound when both are split.

6. rhcpschipper

rhcpschipper Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2020
    The Netherlands
    You made it look very good! Awesome job. I’m also thinking about swapping to bridge on my Bullet mustang for a Wilkinson half tele bridge.

Did you have any issue with intonation or something like that?

7. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    So my Warmoth neck will be here on Wednesday. I ordered "Fender Mustang" and "Squier Stratocaster" waterslide decals for it. I'm going to cut them so the headstock says "Squier Mustang". Also ordered a gold Fender neck plate.

My gold control plate cover finally arrived after 16 days and they sent me a damn Tele bridge!! So I just refunded that order and ordered a new one on Reverb.

I bought and returned a Fender Classic 60's strat because it was the floor model and I paid full price for something that had some scratches and dings. That guitar was PERFECT in every way besides that. I've never owned something that sounded so damn good and that neck was absolute heaven. I had them order me the newer Fender Vintera 60's Strat which is the model that replaced the Classic Series 60s's and that will be here on Tuesday. I already have a brand new set of Fender Vintage Locking Tuners and a Graph Tech XL nut for it. The floating 6-point tremolo on those really hold tune very well, but I need a bit more tuning stability.

That's the bridge I have here. I made sure to measure 24" from the nut and made sure the saddles were sitting right at that point. Make sure the saddles are positioned to be about 2/3 of the way forward so you have room for intonation if you need to adjust it. I only had to adjust one saddle about a millimeter.

The new bridge goes about 1/8 of an inch in front of the old holes. I visually lined up the middle hole from the old bridge with the middle saddle intonation screw of the new bridge. Then I just made sure it was straight by measuring the space between the end of the body cavity and the beginning of the bridge on both sides and making sure the measurement was the same.

If you don't want to drill you can do the bubba mod to just fit that saddles. I just wanted to install the whole thing so I drilled and I don't regret a thing! The guitar seriously rings through and resonates so much better with these brass saddles.