Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. nmagi

nmagi Squier Talker

Apr 2, 2020
    Athens
    I love Meteora looks, Paranormal too, but I know what you mean. Maybe I would go with a unique body like off a guitar kit or something, painted in an even more unique way or colour, but certainly you now got some serious stuff on your bench to start with .

2. RavageTheEarth

RavageTheEarth Squier Talker

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Definitely!! And now I'll have the option to move all this killer hardware to future guitars if I choose to do so. If I find a good deal in the future I'm definitely going to grab a Fender Mustang body and then it will have absolutely no original parts haha!

I've just always loved the Mustang and it fits me well. I've always wanted one so that's why I'm putting so much work into it. The last of my parts besides the neck should be in today so I'm going to start building this weekend.

Got some Schaller strap locks yesterday.

[​IMG]

3. nmagi

nmagi Squier Talker

Apr 2, 2020
    Athens
    You can have your own thread mate, it will sure be helpful too. I mean in this thread there are 40 pages of completed Mustang mods and in like the latter we 're viewing just parts, it's really a mess. I really hate to have to note that, but really again makes a mess to my eyes and the use of this forum

4. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    [​IMG]

I added one of these harnesses to my bullet Mustang. It made all the difference !

Scarabeus and Afrika61 like this.
  5. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Alright! So neither my pickguard or control cover arrived today. The control cover has had THREE process exception alerts at my local facility....

But I started anyways. I drilled the new bridge. That was pretty much the scariest thing I've ever done. Luckily it turned out PERFECT. Also routed the space to for the Mustang switches. That took forever!!! I went through like 4 Drexel bits trying to cut that out!! Lastly I applied the copper shielding.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh I also put on the gold tuners and string trees. I'll just switch them over one the Warmoth neck arrives.

[​IMG]

therealkw15, nmagi and Tele-kitty like this.
  6. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Alright sorry I'll stop posting here then. I just figured that was the purpose of the thread.

7. Tele-kitty

Tele-kitty Squier-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Florida
    This is a bullet mustang thread and that’s what you’re posting about...You’ve done nothing wrong.
    Carry on my good man.

I think most of the other long timers here will agree.
    I personally like to see parts and what’s going on in case I want to steal an idea ;) :p

VM51SQ likes this.
  8. nmagi

nmagi Squier Talker

Apr 2, 2020
    Athens
    For tele-kitty not to call the forum police on an old timers voice upon a new ones, I withdraw my previous talk. <- That's a gag,
    I most certainly want to see your thing too
    (and that sounded like a gag too :) ) with your neat stuff, so I can really settle with it :)
    I just said it's the actual def of a personal thread, in a discussion between the two of us, didnt want any kitty between our mods really! :) neither spoil the whole or your fun ! Keep it up, I know you re too busy with it to talk about all those and I really want to see it finished too, kitty is not the only one stealing ideas in here :) :) Neat photos !

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  9. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    Mustang_final.jpg
    I think this is as far as I'm going to go with mods. I don't see any more room for improvement: Kent Armstrong PUs, Graphtec string saver saddles, Gunstreet wiring harness, custom aluminum scratch plate, chrome knobs and switch. It plays and sound like a dream. Sure, it's not the most versatile guitar, but then again I wanted an alt rock/grunge machine, and it delivers in spades!

10. therealkw15

therealkw15 Squier Talker

Jul 28, 2020
    Kirkwall, Orkney.
    I've just done that on mine using the stock pickups - wiring is about as easy as you could hope for. I'll post a thread but here is a start: IMG_20200913_175834.jpg

11. therealkw15

Jul 28, 2020
    Kirkwall, Orkney.
    Given the family appearance of the Fender offsets, adding a couple of sliding switches above the pickups for coil splitting seemed both aesthetic and functional. So having worked out the wiring and that access to the midpoint join of the coils was possible, I set about it, adding a kill switch for good measure since open guitar surgery was necessary. This is the end result:

IMG_20200912_185533_783.jpg
    Well worth it- twangs and quacks now available. I'm really pleased with the outcome.

The usual gouging was necessary. I used an oscillating multicutter rather than a router, and aluminium tape left over from a home insulation project.

IMG_20200910_231504.jpg

The switches I used are standard sized DPDT sliding ones with an 'off' middle position. Don't use micro ones, you will barely see them. In the off position the pickup selector switch sees both coils, in either on position one of the coils has its start and end points shorted so the selector switch just sees the other coil.

Wiring like so:

IMG_20200913_175834.jpg
    You can get at the wires by simply unwrapping the outer layer of tape around the pickup, and the wires are tucked under a bobbin. They are heatshrunk, so that has to be cut off. It then looks like this:

IMG_20200911_095813_190.jpg

There you can see the black and white wires referred to above. It's a bit fiddly connecting to them, but not too bad. The two black wires are the midpoint of the humbucker, the screen connection to the case is the start, one white wire is the end (of both coils together) and the other goes back to the pickup selector switch.

Same deal for each pickup.

For the killswitch I used a 19mm antivandal momentary make switch, microtravel (0.5mm).

Hope this helps - Steven

VM51SQ and scrub like this.
  12. therealkw15

Jul 28, 2020
    Kirkwall, Orkney.
    I've posted my interpretation of this today, it's simple and I think as versatile as you want.

13. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Thanks, everyone! @therealkw15 thanks for your post! It's interesting to see how you've implemented the dual humbuckers and 3-way slide switches with the smaller 6 post switch. The switches I'm using are the 8 post-Mustang switches.

I posted the finished wiring diagram earlier in the thread. My volume pot seems to have the volume turn down when it is turned clockwise so I'm guessing I need to swap lugs 1 and 3.

I just got my pickguard as I'm typing this. It's PERFECT! I butchered my stock pickguard just so I could mock up the wiring to make sure it's all correct.

I also FINALLY figured out how to make images smaller so they don't take up so much damn space!!

[​IMG]

New pickguard:

[​IMG]

therealkw15 likes this.
  14. Herzal

Herzal Squier Talker

Jan 10, 2019
    Vienna. Austria
    White and gold looks so freakin classy, love it!
    May swap out my hardware for gold ones too sometime around.
    Thanks for the inspiration! :D

15. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Looks like '50s wiring?

VM51SQ likes this.
  16. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    So we have a big problem here... The pickguard doesn't fit....

Perhaps it's because I have the newer Mustang HH? Check out these pics. Look at that gap between the control plate and the pickguard!! The pickguard also seems to be twisted somewhat counter clockwise.

Bummer... BIG TIME BUMMER.

It might be time for me to go to Guitar Center and Pick Up a Fender Mustang to swap these parts with and throw the Warmoth neck on it. Or I could get a used 60's body.

Actually I might just order a Warmoth body.

Hmmmm... The brain is a brewing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    VM51SQ likes this.
  17. therealkw15

Jul 28, 2020
    Kirkwall, Orkney.
    I'd just move the control plate back the few mm necessary to make it fit perfectly, plugging any misaligned screwholes with matchsticks dipped in pva/wood glue. It'll look just as good.

Eddd likes this.
  18. Catalyst

Catalyst Squier Talker

Dec 27, 2018
    Blagoevgrad
    Or cut the excess and sand it smooth.

Eddd likes this.
  19. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    Yes, it's a '51 P-bass harness adapted for a dual humbucker guitar. I can't say enough good things about their work.

20. VM51SQ

VM51SQ Squier-Meister

Apr 14, 2017
    oregon
    take the original pick guard, line up the holes and tape them together, then file away at the new one until it matches the original one. You may have to compensate a little if the holes don't line up, using the neck pocket as the reference point. I would not just move the pickguard, because it might throw the pickups out of alignment.