Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. robot

robot Squier Talker

Dec 4, 2017
    UK
    I think the most logical way to do it if you want two 3 way slide switches (and also giving you the most tonal options), would be to have each switch being hum-off-single coil for one pickup.

You could work out which combinations of the single coils humbuck (there should be two combinations that do), by trial and error, and choose the combination that you prefer the sound of.

therealkw15 likes this.
  2. RavageTheEarth

RavageTheEarth Squier Talker

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    My problem is that I'm really good with tech, but electronics not so much. I can solder just fine, but the theory is where I get completely lost. I could always bring it to someone to do it for me, but for me, that would kill a lot of the magic of making this a very special guitar.

So from what I've learned in the past couple days the SD humbucker wires are, black for hot, red and white for both single coils, and green and the bare wire for ground.

I'm confused though. This diagram says it's for 3 positions, but there are only 6 terminals on the switch. The switch I ordered is 3 position and has 8 terminals. I can't even find a 3 position with only 6 terminals. So this diagram confuses the hell out of me.

[​IMG]

3. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Bridge and copper tape came in! She's a thing of beauty!!
    [​IMG]

Uncle Joe and GustangMcstang like this.
  4. nmagi

nmagi Squier Talker

Apr 2, 2020
    Athens
    del

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  5. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    With a lot of help from someone over on the TDPRI forums I THINK I've got the right wiring configuarion for the two 3 way switches. Still need to figure out wiring for the volume and tone knobs, but here is what I got. Each one is wired for OFF-SPLIT-HUMBUCKER for their respective pickups. Please let me know if you see any mistakes here!

[​IMG]

6. guitalias

guitalias Squier-Meister

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
    Made new body, pickguard, control plate/s, neck plate, otherwise 100% SBM!
    20200903_160105.jpg

7. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    These Mustangs look great with the racing stripes. I'm wondering: Where do you end the vinyl stripes at the back of the guitar? What does that look like? Any images to share? Thanks,

8. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    That control plate looks amazing!!

9. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Got my Pearly Gates pickup today! Still waiting for the gold cover for it and my Seymour Duncan '59 to come in along with a thousand other things. I've already spent over two times what I've paid for the guitar on mods. NO REGRETS!! Can't wait for all this white and gold sexiness to come together!

Also, this wiring is still driving me nuts. I've posted to 5 different forums and still haven't got a definitive answer, but I'm getting close!

[​IMG]

10. guitalias

guitalias Squier-Meister

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
    RavageTheEarth likes this.
  11. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Stuff is starting to come in! Got my gold bell knobs today as well as the 500k pots. Still waiting for a ton of stuff though. These knobs are going be a nice contrast to the mirror control plate cover :)

[​IMG]

12. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    So for anyone looking in the future. Here is the wiring for those who get the Warmoth (or other) custom pickguard with cutouts for TWO humbuckers and TWO Mustang slide switches. NO pickup selector toggle switch. I don't want anyone else going through the hell of trying to figure this one out.

The way this is wired is that each mustang switch controls its own respective pickups. So the upper switch controls the neck and the lower switch controls the bridge. Each switch is wired OFF/SPLIT/HUM. They are also wired with noise-canceling in mind for when you have both humbuckers split.

The lower coils are activated when split.

Also, an FYI, the Switchcraft ON-OFF-ON switches can be wired for ON-ON-ON also.

Hope this helps someone out.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  13. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Got some more stuff in the mail today! Seymour Duncan gold pickup covers, Wilkinson Tuners, and gold string trees. I put the cover on the Pearly Gates bridge pickup. The '59 neck pickup comes with a gold cover pre-installed, but that is delayed in transit :(

I'm super impressed with how snug the cover fits. Still need to solder it to the pickup, but it looks like I won't have to use double-sided tape since it fits so snug.

Some pics of the sexiness. This is going to look so good against white!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

strat81 and LittleGiant like this.
  14. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Got my '59 neck pickup today as well as a few other things. I really wanted a '59, but didn't want to pay $120 for it. Luckily I found this on Reverb for $62 shipped! Now I just need the Warmoth pickguard and the Switchraft input jack to come in! Oh.. I might be getting a Warmoth neck with gold 6150 fretwire too :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Herzal

Herzal Squier Talker

Jan 10, 2019
    Vienna. Austria
    haven't been here in quite a while and thought i'd share a few pictures with y'all.

i bought a black bullet mustang quite a while ago with the intent of spicing it up a bit.
    as always, other projects came around, so the ole mustang was laying around for a few months.
    with that corona stuff going on i got a bit bored and finally began the process.

i came across a white relic mustang with red tortoise pickguard some time ago on the interwebs and went the same route with mine.

since i don't have the need for either a neck PU, nor a tone pot i kicked em both out, so the toggle switch now serves as a killswitch.
    the pickguard actually is the original white one with a red tortoise sticker-foil-thing.
    i replaced the stock tuning keys with my trusted chinese locking tuners for 15 euros off of amazon. besides that i replaced the original string saddles with some graphtech ones i bought used for like 30 euros.

the pictures show the guitar right after the nitrocellusose paint has dried up and was reliced by a good friend who has a nag for nitro paint and destroying things.
    bridge PU wise i opted for a dimarzio super distortion in cream (pictures will follow as soon as i' done soldering).

the mustang will the serve as a backup to my fender modern player jaguar and i couldn't be happier with these two. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  16. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    That looks great man! How do you have the kill switch setup? All I sees is a bit of duck tape :)

As for my updates I just bought a Warmoth neck. I had to put a pillow over my wallet because it was screaming at me, "You're crazy!! You're spending THAT much to put a neck on a Squier?? You are going to kill me!!"

Wallet is sleeping now.

17. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    I was going to build my own neck, but with roasted maple, custom inlays, and a custom profile I looked at the price and it was over $500!! This one was in stock so I just fine-tuned it to my specs. I'm pumped!!!

[​IMG]

18. Herzal

Herzal Squier Talker

Jan 10, 2019
    Vienna. Austria
    yeah the tape is where the tonepot used to be. the regular toggle is kinda the killswitch since i don't have a neck PU soldered in. so, when you toggle to the neck PU there's no signal. :D
    i'm thinking of buying a neck PU tho, we'll see :D

OH, HNGD!

19. nmagi

nmagi Squier Talker

Apr 2, 2020
    Athens
    You could have got a Fender Meteora instead of all those mods lol

20. RavageTheEarth

Aug 31, 2020
    Massachusetts
    What's the fun in that?? Not to mention a Meteora is more expensive than everything I've purchased so far and I have exactly what I want on the guitar. Plus I'm not a big fan of the Meteora body shape.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    Tele-kitty likes this.