Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Jamie

Jamie New Member

Jan 31, 2020
    Manchester
    I kinda like how it’s not finished. Saying that I did take sandpaper to the back of the neck.

Sorry, been lurking for a while without posting about my mods.

Got my surf green Bullet Mustang last Jan. Doesn’t look much different to when I got it though as all the mods I’ve done so far aren’t really cosmetic.

So far I’ve:
    • Sanded the back of the neck.
    • Rounded the frets.
    • Polished the frets.
    • Replaced the cap with an Orange Drop.
    • Replaced the tuners with Wilkinson tuners off Amazon for around £20.
    • Replaced the nut with a bone nut.

Thinking of replacing the bridge. I came across ghost bridge piezo pickups the other day, never heard of them before. Might be a bit overkill and whether or not they sound any good or if I’d actually use it.

Looking at installing a zero fret too but that might be too gimmicky.

Also thinking of replacing the scratch plate at some point, maybe a sparkly one or mirrored.

Pickups seem fine for now. If I do replace them I’d probably go for some by The Creamery. Been following them for a while but no idea of what I’d actually want in a pickup.

Also going to look at trying to fix the tone knob issue. Not the best at soldering though nevermind trying to figure out wiring diagrams.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    JoeP90 and swill like this.
  2. JoeP90

JoeP90 Squier Talker

Jun 9, 2020
    UK
    Regards the tone pot issue I simplified the wiring on mine and went with the 50s one in the diagram in the Premier Guitar link. It keeps the high end when rolling off the volume. I kept the original pots and capacitor. Earth/ground is not shown in the diagram, the back of each pot needs an earth/ground connection. The diagram I've uploaded here but the article is worth a read if you're going to be rewiring:
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/29161-mod-garage-three-ways-to-wire-a-tone-pot
    Mod-Garage-WIRING 3 TYPES.jpg
    None of these are like the Bullet Mustang wiring, I think that it is nearer to a modern Tele wiring diagram I came across somewhere, but not exactly - which is why it doesn't work!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Jamie likes this.
  3. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    +1.

0000 steel wool or a maroon scotch brite pad will smooth it out. Tru-Oil (gun stock oil), boiled linseed oil, or tung oil can be done easily at home. They might raise the grain slightly, but the steel wool or scotch brite will knock it down. $15 in supplies from the local hardware store will get you squared away.

Nice color... we don't get that one in the colonies.

swill likes this.
  4. guitalias

guitalias Squier Talker

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
    First prototype assembled
    20200709_144209.jpg

Viking likes this.
  5. panacea

panacea Squier Talker

Jun 19, 2020
    uk
    Just finished, what do you think?

Attached Files:

spyhawk36, os89, swill and 5 others like this.
  6. zachaction

zachaction Squier Talker

Oct 23, 2019
    Iowa
    I now have three bullet mustangs, and I did get a Warmoth neck for one of them. Mustang Modern Construction, maple with satin vintage tint, Indian rosewood fretboard. Wizard contour for extra thinness.

I "cleaned up" the other two necks with some 800 sandpaper and some shoe polish, and they're okay, but there's no mistaking that the Warmoth neck is the real deal. Like you said, it's more than the cost of the guitar, but if it's a guitar that you really really love otherwise, don't hesitate. You'll love it.

7. JoeP90

JoeP90 Squier Talker

Jun 9, 2020
    UK
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Finally I got to do the 'Bubba mod' with Wilkinson compensated saddles now in place. At the same time I realigned the string trees with the strings (packed the old holes with sawdust) and slightly tinted the headstock with tea stain and some old Danish Oil. When putting back the tuners I noticed they are all out of perpendicular to the headstock edge, varying between about 2 to 5 degrees. Add to the other issues I've mentioned previously (1 neck, 1 bridge and 1 pickguard screws spinning in their holes; 6 out of 9 pickguard screws at an angle; a slightly buzzy pickup; and the usual tone control dysfunction, wonky bridge saddle screws, neck and bridge needing a setup) did I get the worst ever Bullet Mustang? Next time I change strings I'll fill all the holes and redrill them for the pickguard and tuner screws, but for now I just want to play the thing. For the price I expected issues but mine must have been assembled by a child with 'My First Electric Screwdriver'.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    scrub likes this.
  8. zachaction

zachaction Squier Talker

Oct 23, 2019
    Iowa
    This is my third Bullet Mustang. It started out as an Olympic White from Guitar Center. I was pretty impressed with the finish on it, but my mind was already made up and I had all of the hardware disassembled within five minutes of unboxing it.

IMG_20200715_092059.jpg

I had a spare set of Duncan Saturday Night Special humbuckers lying around, which is the whole reason I ordered this Mustang.

Stripped the finish with a heatgun; it was much easier than the youtube videos suggest. I did not have any burn marks, and there was no veneer on the back. At just the right amount of heat, there were even huge swaths of the finish that peeled off with a putty knife like a long stretch of taffy.
    strip.jpg

I stained it and put on a couple coats of wipe-on poly, and then I tried to do a light 800 sanding... and it was like I was using 60 grit. It cut right through the finish and the stain. And so I was like, well, gotta start over.... but then I realized I loved how it looked, so I dolled it up a little bit and decided to run with that distressed look.

The diagonal scratch lines are from the factory and were exposed after a light sanding. I think they're pretty cool and add character. No hard feelings towards Squier, as obviously it's a cheap guitar that's meant to be painted and lacquered over.
    IMG_20200715_092144.jpg

Bronco pickguard from Lomic Guitars on Reverb. Graph Tech saddles. Knobs from ebay. Mini DPDT switch for coil splitting.
    IMG_20200715_092137.jpg

800-grit sandpaper on the neck went a LONG way towards great feel. I also went the shoeshine route for some added color.
    IMG_20200715_092119.jpg

The fretboard was terribly scratchy. I didn't have that issue with my first Bullet, but the second one was scratchy as well (I replaced it with a Warmoth). I used some 0000 steel wool and a white scotch brite on the fretboard to smooth it down a little. Then some F-One fretboard oil, and it was a huge improvement that I'm now happy with.

Man, I love these things.

9. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    zachaction, that looks great. Nice work.

zachaction likes this.
  10. scrub

scrub Squier-Meister

Jan 9, 2018
    Everett, WA
    @zachaction i just saw those pickguards recently, Do you like it? I may get another bullet just to use one!

11. zachaction

zachaction Squier Talker

Oct 23, 2019
    Iowa
    @scrub The pickguard is perfectly great if you like the look. I had gotten one for my first mustang just for something different... the bigger version that also covers the control plate:
    IMG_20200716_081928.jpg

I really had a bee in my bonnet to complete the third one above, and so I ordered this pickguard again (minus the control section) because it would come faster.

Quality-wise it's flawless; screws line up perfectly and the bevel is nice. So if you like the look, go for it!

12. Scarabeus

Scarabeus Squier-Meister

Sep 15, 2015
    I was thinking about buying a white one and doing something very very very much like this.

are those Retrotrons?

13. guitalias

guitalias Squier Talker

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
    I've gone numbered knobs on mine also. What saddles are they?

14. panacea

panacea Squier Talker

Jun 19, 2020
    uk
    Just cheap brass saddles from Amazon.

15. panacea

panacea Squier Talker

Jun 19, 2020
    uk
    Original pickups with covers.

16. nmagi

nmagi Squier Talker

Apr 2, 2020
    Athens
    Did this:

[​IMG]

Except the cosmetics I added two 500k Hosco pots, thought of just changing the volume, but then the "why not" factor hit me. On almost anything I changed on the guitar I had a dilemma, the pup rings for instance may be a little too much. Anyway I added a 0,047 cap because I used it on the 250 pot and sounded great, added a treble bleed too with a 1nf cap and a 150k res and thought that would balance fine (of course there was a dilemma there too), but along with a NYXL set of strings I think I lost a lot of brightness, but at least now I got a lot of caps to try.
    The whole neck too is covered in Danish Oil and sanded down to mat

Maybe if it wasnt for the photo I wouldn't have noticed that the pups were so low. NYXLs are not so loud as the Rotos unplugged but they 're quite balanced. I'll check tomorrow after I raise my pups a bit, plugged I guess :p

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Afrika61 likes this.
  17. hanky23

hanky23 Squier Talker

Aug 1, 2020
    UK
    Hi all. New to the forum. I've just purchased a Bullet Mustang and have started to look at upgrading but I'm terrible at working out wiring. I want to upgrade the pickup selector switch and have a switchcraft replacement, but not sure how to wire it up. Any help gladly appreciated! Here is a pic to help out...

[​IMG]

Thanks!

18. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

toggle switch 2.png toggle switch.jpg

marcello252 likes this.
  19. hanky23

hanky23 Squier Talker

Aug 1, 2020
    UK
    Awesome stuff Afrika61. I'll have a bash this evening and come back if I have any issues. Many thanks.

20. Afrika61

Afrika61 Squier-holic

Any time, but next you're buyin' beer:D
    Guinness.jpg