Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Jtolle

Jtolle Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2020
    Vista, ca
    Thanks! It wasn't hard at all, I used a regular drill bit. Took a heavy hand to get theu it but wasn't hard by any means!

JoeP90 likes this.
  2. JoeP90

JoeP90 Squier Talker

Jun 9, 2020
    UK
    Ok - that's encouraging, and how is the intonation with the three barrels?

3. Jtolle

Jtolle Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2020
    Vista, ca
    The intonation is spot on. Oh one thing to mention is on the low E and A barrel inhad to shave it down to get it to where the strings wouldn't be so high off the fretboard. So imagine the barrel gets shaved to a half circle so I could lower it more. Not sure if that's specific to my personal guitar or if you would have to do that as well. But anyway, I used my oscillating belt sander and gripped it with a wrench. And just grinded it flat on the bottom side. But it could be hand sanded down but would take more elbow grease

JoeP90 likes this.
  4. JoeP90

JoeP90 Squier Talker

Jun 9, 2020
    UK
    Thanks for the tips. I need to get some of those barrels - one last question - are they a special width to fit the 52.5 mm mustang ie narrower than standard on a Tele?

5. scrub

scrub Squier-Meister

Jan 9, 2018
    Everett, WA
    For the bubba mod I just used the compensates saddles from a Wilkinson half bridge, I chose to shim the neck instead of altering the brass saddles to get the string height correct. I still need to buy some longer screws to get the intonation spot on but the Longest screws I got this morning from ACE hardware were too short. I did find longer springs though.

JoeP90 likes this.
  6. JoeP90

JoeP90 Squier Talker

Jun 9, 2020
    UK
    Great info, thanks

scrub likes this.
  7. JoeP90

JoeP90 Squier Talker

Jun 9, 2020
    UK
    And now I've searched on 'bubba mod' there's all the answers waiting!

os89 likes this.
  8. Jtolle

Jtolle Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2020
    Vista, ca
    Honestly I didnt even consider it when I put the barrels on. I drilled the new 3 holes directly in the middle of the original 6 holes and just trusted the that the middle would be put them in the correct spot. The barrels lined up fine and I cant say for sure the width is the same as the original but the strings fit the width of the neck perfect.

JoeP90 likes this.
  9. Jtolle

Jtolle Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2020
    Vista, ca
    I had the cheapest available tele bridge (ebay $7 from china) laying around so I took the barrels from that. The screws seem to be a lot longer than fender spec and I still had to stretch the springs to get tension and on the high e and b barrel it's only screwed into the barrel maybe a half turn sonits barely hanging on but snug. But thankfully it was just long enough to intonate

scrub and JoeP90 like this.
  10. JoeP90

JoeP90 Squier Talker

Jun 9, 2020
    UK
    Thanks for all your help, I'll post some more pics once I get it all done

Jtolle likes this.
  11. atriox13

atriox13 New Member

Jun 19, 2020
    aus
    i love the colour of this, really makes me want to buy one and paint it similar but im saving up for the new super-sonic. maybe in the future.

smallerthings likes this.
  12. guitalias

guitalias Squier Talker

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
    My mod project, sacrificial Squier Bullet Mustang with ergonomic sitting guitar body.
    Sphinx with neck.JPG

Viking likes this.
  13. Jtolle

Jtolle Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2020
    Vista, ca
    Hey I told you some wrong info. The statement about the screws being just long enough and how the screw was just hanging on by a half turn to the barrel was wrong. That was for another guitar I was working in and not the mustang. The screws were plenty long enough and if you look at the pics inthink you can even see the screw coming out the front of the barrel. So plenty of leeway to intonate. Sorry about that misinformation. Too many projects going on haha

JoeP90 likes this.
  14. JoeP90

JoeP90 Squier Talker

Jun 9, 2020
    UK
    No problem. The barrels arrived a couple of days ago so getting ready to put them in...

15. scrub

scrub Squier-Meister

Jan 9, 2018
    Everett, WA
    @JoeP90 35mm screws would be perfect but the longest I had were 30mm. Works ok though

Attached Files:

os89, Jtolle and JoeP90 like this.
  16. JoeP90

JoeP90 Squier Talker

Jun 9, 2020
    UK
    Thanks for info and the useful images

os89 and scrub like this.
  17. os89

os89 New Member

Jun 24, 2020
    usa
    1F96A877-973A-46E4-8368-2EEB04A37813.jpeg Just a small facelift. Pearl guard, new knobs and switch nub. Want to get chrome pickup covers too but don’t know any that fit. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    Viking likes this.
  18. guitalias

guitalias Squier Talker

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
    Body ready for assembly.
    20200706_152307.jpg

drewcp likes this.
  19. swill

swill New Member

Jul 5, 2020
    England
    Hi folks, new here.

Just received my competition orange bullet today! pleased with the finish on the body not bothered about the electronics as I will be replacing them anyway, I plan on a PAF humbucker in the bridge and a single volume control, I will have a custom white pearl one piece plate made and remove the metal control plate, I also ordered a new bridge with the "modern" style saddles and some locking tuners.

My biggest disappointment with the guitar is the neck, it seems to have no finish on it and not only that but hasn't been sanded that well as there are rough scratches around the back of the headstock along the edges and flat spots that you can see so I am debating whether to try and do something about it or buy a new neck that already has a finish as I have zero experience working with necks. Debating on spraying headstock to match too.

I have previously owned a surf green bullet mustang which didn't have any issues other than the common bridge screw intonation thing, just going by the one I just bought the screws appear to be smaller and no longer an problem though I obviously can't vouch for all of them I wonder if they were aware and have since rectified the problem.

I'll post an update when there is a noticeable difference!

107096217_907755823066696_39831938588257389_n.jpg

smallerthings and Viking like this.
  20. smallerthings

smallerthings Squier Talker

Jun 7, 2019
    USA
    Just take some fine grit sandpaper or steel wool to the back of it and it will be smooth.

swill likes this.