Bullet Mustang - show and explain your mods

Discussion in 'Squier Offset Guitars' started by xtomx2000, Apr 23, 2017.

1. GustangMcstang

GustangMcstang Squier Talker

Nov 9, 2018
    London UK
    I've just set-up a brand new Bullet Mustang on behalf of a friend. The new ones seem to have slightly thinner bodies and they've replaced the classic Mustang logo with a smaller, plainer typeface.
    But I tell you what, the bridge is fine, none of the plinky-ness problem on the 3rd when the saddle is screwed back to the point where it intonates properly, and this was with a set of 10's! Don't know if this was luck or if they have addressed the problem with this style of bridge.
    The rest of the guitar was fine, just a slight tweak to the truss rod required, fret ends are nicely finished, it plays and sounds great.
    Quality control is apparently at a high level just now.

benjammin420 likes this.
  2. strat81

strat81 Squier-Meister

May 27, 2020
    Nebraska
    My son has had his Bullet Mustang for about two weeks now. Great guitar, much nicer than the '94 Bullet Strat I started with.

I had to fix the tone control wiring on the Mustang, as his had the well-documented problem of the tone pot not doing anything unless the volume was on ten. I had to move the hot lead from the selector switch from the middle lug of the volume pot to the input lug.

While working on the aforementioned Strat (installed a Lace Sensor Hot Gold in the neck), I replaced the original pots with some Bourns 250K pots and noticed the original pots were 500K. I took one of the 500K pots from my old Strat and replaced the 250K pot in the Mustang. I used the same cap that was in the Mustang. It brightened up the guitar nicely. I found the OEM Mustang pickups to be on the muddy side and swapping the 250K tone pot for a 500K pot made a nice difference. Only took a few minutes to do.

While I was in there, I replaced the Mustang's jack with a Pure Tone. Gotta eat your Wheaties to plug in and unplug now, which is nice. Plus my tone is now pure, so I have that going for me too.

It's remarkable how two import guitars separated by 25 years of production had pots that deviated from the typical norms for their pickup types.

logodave likes this.
  3. guitalias

guitalias Squier Talker

Apr 21, 2020
    Australia
    I'm committed now. Bought another Bullet Mustang today. Plan is to use it to produce a body with the lower waist further back, pretty much in line with the bridge. I've had a few guitar related injuries, hoping to make a guitar that is comfortable (for me) to play resting on my strumming side leg while sitting. If that works I'll have a go at making a neck also. Finally replace hardware. Then reassemble the (new) original Mustang & sell.
    Maybe I really should be committed!

Black Strat likes this.
  4. smallerthings

smallerthings Squier Talker

Jun 7, 2019
    USA
    On top of my other mods I posted about, I just painted the headstock.

Attached Files:

nmagi, logodave, atriox13 and 5 others like this.
  5. GustangMcstang

GustangMcstang Squier Talker

Nov 9, 2018
    London UK
    Top marks for keeping the Squier logo.

6. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Here is my bullet I recently finished with a coil splitting 5 way blade switch and GM Hot Rodded HB’s and a treble bleed. Sounds great. Black roller strings trees arriving today.

B5FA8F10-CFC1-4365-A0D1-6A9590B4552A.jpeg 22A59621-F252-4EFD-ABAD-2D3EB2908284.jpeg

7. smallerthings

Jun 7, 2019
    USA
    The way I look at it, I wouldn't put a Gibson logo on there, so no reason to put a Fender logo on either.

Black Strat likes this.
  8. Oldguitarguy

Oldguitarguy Squier-Nut

Mar 2, 2019
    Nj
    Installed roller string trees tonight. Love’em.

A775BCF7-89F5-449F-9ED2-DCCA5202706E.jpeg

Black Strat and benjammin420 like this.
  9. nmagi

nmagi Squier Talker

Apr 2, 2020
    Athens
    Hey guys, have a fun day,
    What kind is the finish used on the body? Maybe a good polishing compound to remove the swirls? no scratches or such.
    I made a mistake and asked for polishing lacquer in a luthiers talk and i was pretty much bombed. It's good to know things, times are difficult, but it's better to solve your problems LOL.

Black Strat likes this.
  10. smallerthings

Jun 7, 2019
    USA
    I updated this one to be more like an actual Mustang.

• Routed the body to fit new pickups/wiring
    • Shielded the body
    • Soldered the Mustang pickups and switches to custom pickguard
    • Painted the headstock
    • Applied the decal
    • Put red rubber washers under the knobs
    • Installed Hipshot locking tuners
    • Added Graphtec string trees
    The paint used for the headstock was a Dupli-Color auto paint. I thought it looked close and to my eye it's pretty indistinguishable.

I really love it. The body was listed as either Lake Placid Blue or Competition Blue, but it looks Ice Blue Metallic to me.

The pickups are from a Classic Vibe Mustang. I bought black pickup covers, but they didn't fit, so I just Sharpied the white ones.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

strat81, Viking, wayne thomas and 2 others like this.
  11. Tele-kitty

Tele-kitty Squier-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Florida
    I love that blue and the matching headstock. I’ve been hoping they hurry and get them in the US so I can snag one.
    Excellent work on it!:D

smallerthings likes this.
  12. smallerthings

Jun 7, 2019
    USA
    From my understanding, they're just UK exclusive. I ordered it from Andertons and had it shipped to America. Actually wasn't that expensive and got here quick.

13. wayne thomas

wayne thomas Squier-Meister

Jan 24, 2020
    london
    thats bloody brilliant, what color exactly was it? and got a link? cheers

14. smallerthings

Jun 7, 2019
    USA
    Dupli-Color Avignon Blue Metallic

They sell it at most auto stores or on Amazon. I used the Dupli-Color clear coat too.

wayne thomas likes this.
  15. wayne thomas

wayne thomas Squier-Meister

Jan 24, 2020
    london
    great job on that man. thanks

smallerthings likes this.
  16. JoeP90

JoeP90 Squier Talker

Jun 9, 2020
    UK
    [QUO

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  17. JoeP90

JoeP90 Squier Talker

Jun 9, 2020
    UK
    FullSizeRender.jpg Hi y'all I got my competition red bullet mustang so I'd have a home for these Tonerider Rebel 90s. I had to scrape out the pickguard radiused corners to get the covered pickups to fit, followed a 50s diagram wiring as the stock wiring is just wrong, added a small resistor to ground on the vol pot to cut a bit of bass. Issues I had to fix - increased the screw sizes as one neck screw, one bridge screw spun in their holes(!). Polished the frets, Danish Oiled the fretboard, rolled the edges, shimmed the neck to get the action lower. Rotated the selector switch to a useable direction. Jobs to do - realign the string trees as they are 1mm out and pull the strings out of a straight line from the nut to tuner, re-drill some of the pickguard screws as they are not in straight, and for cosmetics tint the headstock and varnish it. It plays well, stays in tune and sounds fendery like a strat/jazzmaster/tele combination.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    GustangMcstang and Afrika61 like this.
  18. JoeP90

JoeP90 Squier Talker

Jun 9, 2020
    UK
    Mustang stripes.JPG Bullet Mustang Competition Red stripes

19. Jtolle

Jtolle Squier Talker

Jun 11, 2020
    Vista, ca
    Hey guys! So many great bullet stangs here!! Here's mine. CV duo sonic pups, I custom cut the PG (planned on adding a traditional mustang bridge but loved the hardtail so much i chose not too. So its cut for the trad. Bridge) and I double back taped it to keep a clean look with no screw. I drilled 3 holes into the bridge to put in barrel saddles. Added a jaguar strangle switch and amber lacquered the neck. Plays and sounds fantastic!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  20. JoeP90

JoeP90 Squier Talker

Jun 9, 2020
    UK
    Hey Jtolle very cool mods. I like the subtle position of the strangle switch, I had to look hard to find it. How is the 'chrome' to drill through on the bridge - is it like aluminium foil?! I like the 3 barrel look and might do the mod if drilling is easy.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Jtolle likes this.