Born To Run

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Twostratsfornow, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Twostratsfornow

Twostratsfornow Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    I’ve read countless books. This is the best one in a long time. Springsteen’s writing is superb, his honesty astounding. An account of an ongoing triumph over poverty, depression, and the insecurities we all face. A great read for those who are fans of his music and even for those who are not, imho. 3292C21A-2773-47D5-86C9-DDD87FFD9E67.jpeg

2. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Excellent book. I didn't think I would like it but Bruce was vulnerable and seemingly honest about his life and his struggles with mental and emotional challenges. I was pleasantly surprised by the effort and glad I took the time to read it. Plus he's Irish Italian, which I always suspected but never really knew for sure.

I read a lot of biographies of old Rockers because they are small businessmen who have seen the world while following their dreams. They know more about life than most. Which reminds me, Keith Richards' Life was a great book.

I was impressed also by Clapton's autobiography, as well as Allman's My Cross to Bear, and the Johnny Winter biography, Raisin' Cain: The Wild and Raucous Story of Johnny Winter. These guys confessed that they saved themselves by dropping to their knees and asking God for help. Blew me away each time.

Fogerty's was good too. Quintessential Baby Boomer who is a veteran and a Rocker. Interesting tale of trusting the wrong folks when young and feeling screwed for decades.

Donald Fagen of Steely Dan wrote a disjointed effort that is humorous if you don't mind listening to a wise-ass complain about everything.

Ronnie Spector had a good one. I can't remember them all. I give away all my books and sometimes regret it a bit.

3. Taurus

Taurus Squier-Nut

Sep 8, 2018
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    I might give that a read once I’ve finished my current book that I just started (Demons by Dostoevsky)

4. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Demons is one of my favorite novels, and Dostoevsky is my favorite novelist by a long shot. Those books I keep.

5. Twostratsfornow

Twostratsfornow Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2020
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the reading list!

6. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

I'm glad to hear you liked it. Once upon a time I was a huge Springsteen fan.

I won't be reading this.

7. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Sadly and perhaps oddly, I'm not a fan of Bruce, but I'm sure it's a really great read, and I might be interested in it one day. If I may, I was always a hard rocker and metal guy in the 70s and 80s, I never acquired a taste for his music really. However his first album had tickled my fancy ever so slightly. I was a Freshman in HS when I actually heard it for the first time. Most of us Freshman in HS were into Floyd, Hendrix, Zep, Who, Doors, Sabbath, ACDC, YES, Priest etc. So Bruce didn't stimulate my taste buds for that type of music. Today he still doesn't. His Sax player was really good though.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  8. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

The keith moon one was good and the doors one as well !

Robb and Angry Possum like this.
  9. miket1117

miket1117 Squier-Nut Gold Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    i'm not the biggest fan of his music either, but no denying his songwriting ability or his guitar chops. three particulars:

his "Nebraska" release was inspiring to me in that it was one guy with a guitar and a cassette recorder writing some great, albeit dark, stuff. his appearance on Roy Orbison's "A Black and White Night" was a revelation regarding his guitar playing. and from start to finish thought "The Rising" was his best release, bar none.

btw... i have the book, but found it hard to get into. :rolleyes:

Angry Possum and Twostratsfornow like this.
  10. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    His wife can't play guitar, not a fan of her at all, she's more of a poser IMO... Again that Sax player was awesome.

miket1117 likes this.
  11. miket1117

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    Springsteen would admit, and maybe does in his book, that it was when Clarence Clemmons joined the E Street Band, the band took off.

fuelish, Angry Possum and Viking like this.
  12. Angry Possum

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Don't mean to bash anyone. But Case and point, Bruce's wife, looks likes she's stumbling/having difficulties with the chords. Not a fan.
    This song doesn't do justice for Bruce either.
    Eeeeeek.

13. Robb

Robb Squier-holic

Jan 13, 2011
    Chertsey Canada.
    I' m sorry for NOT liking what I hear , but not that sorry !

Angry Possum likes this.
  14. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

I read it some time back, loved his first 3 albums, at least (grew up in suburban Philly, spent summers at the south Jersey shore until I graduated college and had to get a real job :) ) Was a good read.......read Tom Waits' book around the same time, was a good read as well

Twostratsfornow and Angry Possum like this.
  15. miket1117

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    well, not so much in her defense, but she did start out as a backup singer. maybe she's still a beginning guitar player?:rolleyes:

reminds me of when McCartney started Wings and brought Linda into the group on backing vocals and keys. think it took her two albums and a tour to not be pitchy. at least Patti can sing. ;)

and then there's John and Yoko... just thank god she never sang on a Beatles recording.... George Martin woulda quit then and there.