Blue H-S-H Ibanez NOT on its way ... I hope

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Ralph124C41, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    Yes I don't need it. I certainly don't. But I got my flu shot today so that's reason to order it. Actually this guitar and its four stablemates are usually back ordered but a GCenter guy gave it to me for 15 percent off (MFriend offered 10 percent) so I ordered it.

I've never owned an H-S-H. I've never owned a guitar with this kind of finish, either. I've been looking for another blue guitar, but one in a different finish so I think this would work.

Anywho, here is a stock pic:

Ibby.png

I'm assuming it does have a headstock. It's an Ibanez.

fattboyzz, miket1117, Robb and 13 others like this.
  2. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s beautiful. I like blue and I like Ibanez. :)

3. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    Thanks. I now have three Ibby guitars (a GAX-70, AS-73 with a lot of upgrades, AG-85) and a bass. I've owned two other Ibanez basses, including an Iceman.

When I called MF the agent said his computer showed 13 in stock. A few minutes later I called GC and that agent said there were only 7 left in that finish. Somebody is buying them to flip, I betcha.

4. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    The Jackson dinky js32tq has a similar finish .
    I have a few Ibanez. They are totally underrated. Specifically the gio series
    I have a gio 7 string. The absolute cheapest possible Ibanez 7. And I have a rg470mhz probably the top of Indonesia. They are both amazing. I've had a few others. My only complaint is that the past guitars had mediocre pickups

Robb and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  5. StormCaster

StormCaster Squier-Meister

Sep 13, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Wow that looks very nice ! It actually looks great. Congrats

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    well this stinks ....
    The specs at GC/MF say it has a "quilted maple" top.
    The specs at Ibanez.com, however, says it has a "quilted maple art grain top."
    Humm ...
    I went over to the Ibanez fandom page and sure enough found out that is another way for Ibanez to describe essentially a photoflame top.
    I don't want a photoflame top. Worse yet I don't want to get a guitar with a photoflame top that has been advertised as having a standard, presumably veneer, top. Yes it looks good in the pics ... but how will it look in my hands?
    I just tried to cancel the order and the phone center is closed so I will try again tomorrow. The order hasn't gone very far; in fact the voice robot asked for my order number and said there was no record of it.
    Oh, well. If it sounds too good to be true ... I will probably try to buy it , I guess.

7. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    I find often they change, and gc mf don't update. Look at how many guitars say rosewood still in the description. The Starcaster black cherry burst over flame top maple I had turned out to be what I'm pretty sure wasn't veneer. I suspect alot aren't real

8. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    I agree. GC and MF are famous (or infamous) for their incorrect specs. Once MF advertised a pedal with a power supply. Wrong. No power supply. I called MF and was told "oops." Nobody corrected the ad copy. Nobody lowered the price. Oops.

However it's strange that I think none of the reviews mentioned that it apparently is a photoflame top. In fact, most reviewers praise the finish. However it's right there on the Ibanez web site's specs.

Well bit of an update. Actually both the GC and MF specs for the green burst model in this series say it has a maple flame top ...however the specs for this blue model and the other four models do say art grain. Reading the reviews I've yet to find somebody saying or wondering if it a photoflame but there are several reviews that seem to hint of that ... saying the color is not as dramatic as in the picture, that it is darker, with one person thinking he had been sent the wrong model because he could barely see any grain or design in the pictures. These reviews to me sound like somebody describing a photoflame guitar ... without knowing the nature of a photoflame finish.

Well as I said I will try to cancel the order. If I can't and I get the guitar anyway ... well I will have to take it from there and see what happens.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  9. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    If it was a photoflame type of finish, wouldn’t all the guitars with it be exactly the same? It’s my understanding (and I could be completely wrong) that a photoflame finish is a picture of a piece of wood that is put on the face of a guitar. Same picture on every guitar made in that run. Where as a veneer is a thin piece of actual wood placed on the face of a guitar making each one unique. Am I mistaken as to what a photoflame finish is?

drewcp likes this.
  10. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    HSH guitars can be quite fun, IMO. I've always liked double humbucker guitars, to me they're more versatile than regular HSS, and the added single coil opens up some more tonal possibilities. My Jackson is wired like an Ibanez JEM, where the second and fourth positions coil-split the humbuckers to give it a more "strat-y" tone. Dunno if that one also has something like that, though it can be wired as such with any regular 5-way switch, some more inexpensive models don't include humbuckers wired for that.

A possible criticism for HSH guitars, particularly if they also have 24 frets where the pickups are really crammed together, is that you may end up hitting the middle one with your pick, though I find that pretty easy to get used to.

dbrian66 likes this.
  11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016

That is my understanding too. Btw, for an interesting read, take a look at this post about the "Humburglar" on the back of the neck on a Fender guitar that also has a photoflame.

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/the-hamburglar-conspiracy.40437/

I do know some Grotes have a photoflame finish. And apparently some other guitars ... such as the Fender and I imagine other brands ... use photoflame finishes. That's fine and I'm certain it keeps the price down ... but I just don't want that in a guitar.

Btw, I just tried to call GCenter to cancel the order but was told it was already shipped ... although I never got a shipping notice. But that has happened before. Anyway I told the GC agent my reason and he agreed it was a valid one. He just told me to take it to my local GC store (which is next door to t he mall where I try to walk for an hour three or four times a week) so it won't be out of the way at all for me. I won't even open the box. Doing this means I won't have to pay return shipping charges.

Again, oh well.

Hadronic Spin likes this.
  12. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    Less than an hour ago my time (about 2 p.m. East Coast) I got an email saying it had been shipped, although not in the hands of UPS. I called GC again to see if there was any way to pull the item from the delivery process and was told no.

13. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Hows your new guitar?

14. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    IMO, there's ZERO difference between a fotoflame finish and a veneer as thin as a sheet of paper. It's not as if it's a 1/2 thick piece of maple as on a LP, and expecting a real maple veneer on a $200 guitar is pretty silly

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    Luvs2yoko and Powerstroke like this.
  15. Ladeeh

Ladeeh Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2021
    Balkans
    Curious to find out if this guitar comes with a headstock. :D

16. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Picture of one

-r3- likes this.
  17. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016

I don't think my decision was silly at all. There are some guitars at this price point that have a veneer, such as Firefly guitars.

I don't comment on the validity of purchases made by members here.

And I disagree about the difference between a piece of veneer and a piece of photographic paper being the same. At the very least, I would hope that the specs of a guitar inform the buying public what they are getting. As I said, if I had none it had a photoflame finish I would never have ordered it. And looking at what I received I know I would not have been happy keeping it.

18. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-Axpert

Sep 27, 2014
    All I can say is this, expecting a REAL quilt maple top that's not a photo reproduction on a $200 guitar, MAJOR name brand, not some fly by night Firefly or Grote etc.........IS silly.....and educated buyers would know this......

BobWithOneO and DougMen like this.
  19. miket1117

miket1117 Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    and reputable manufacturers would state upfront what the finish is. if they don't, buyer beware.

20. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-holic

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    The issue is gc and musicians friend are notorious for misinformation. Half the guitars say they still have rosewood fretboards because they are still using ads from 2017 or older.
    But definitely $200 doesn't get a real anything. Jackson is around 349 for their top. I think its fake too.
    I was just curious if @Ralph124C41 got it and if it was any good. I love cheap guitars :)

DougMen and miket1117 like this.