Bigsby knock off on Tele?

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by RoyalWe, Jan 26, 2021.

1. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    Has anyone tired one of these inexpensive bigsby clones from eBay, Amazon. Etc. on their tele? I just sold my Jazzmaster, and I’m thinking about putting one on my tele to have a guitar with some sort of tremolo. I don’t expect to use it much, as I didn’t use the jm’s trem often, but it’s nice to have when I do want it. That being said, I’m not shelling out the $$ for a real bigsby tele kit. I’m thinking to dremel out the space between the saddle (3 barrel) adjustment screws to make room for the strings to pass through using the existing bridge. This way I can still string through the body if I want to. It’s going on this “tele”.
    image.jpg
    thoughts?

2. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Have not personally tried but I've heard the Guitar Fetish ones work really well.

Angry Possum, mb doug and RoyalWe like this.
  3. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I am putting a bigsby on my next build. The bigsby knockoff I have is not the best quality,there is a lot of play in the roller mechanism.I think I might try to find a used original one.I did get a bridge plate from eBay for 30.00 that is slotted for the strings to pass over the saddles. DABAA4AD-2531-4FBF-A01A-076C2DD3A232.jpeg

4. RoyalWe

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    That’s pretty much what I’m trying to fabricate from the bridge I have on it. The whole point of this guitar has been to use parts I’ve had sitting in a drawer, so I’m going repurpose as much as I can rather than buy more parts. That’s why the bridge doesn’t match the rest, being the odd black part lol. I plan to remedy that by taking a wire brush to it to remove the black paint while I’m at it. Thanks for the info on the looseness of the cheap ones, I’ll have to look around if that’s a common complaint.

mb doug likes this.
  5. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    @RoyalWe Rust-oleum has a line of metallic paints, everything from gold to spray on rust. I've used a couple of different finishes on metal hardware and I'm happy with the results. The finish is tough and hasn't chipped. DSCN4615.JPG I believe there is a "chrome" paint, but haven't tried it yet.

RoyalWe, Robb and Angry Possum like this.
  6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
  7. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    That's some bigsby sweetness right there.
    Screenshot_20210127-093913_Chrome.jpg

65refinyellow and Robb like this.
  8. squierTony

squierTony Dr. Squier

Jul 4, 2012
    MAUD Oklahoma
    Don’t know about the term but that Tele is killer. I think @corn had used a few.

RoyalWe and Robb like this.
  9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-holic

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    The GFS one looks to be pretty good, but the really cheap knock off bigsbys are pretty crappy.

I have a Korean B50 on my tele which is a genuine bigsby import model, and the quality is just as good as the many US made ones I have.

I prefer a notched ashtray bridge plate and a B5/50 on a telecaster.

The 7ender tele kit with the jaguar bridge is overkill, and I friggin hate jaguar/mustang bridges.

RoyalWe, Robb and Luvs2yoko like this.
  10. RoyalWe

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    I’ve thought about that route too. It’d be the easier way to go, but I kinda like the idea of the brushed steel look. Who knows though, it may look so bad that I end up chrome painting it anyway!

11. RoyalWe

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    Thanks for that! It’s back ordered right now, but I put my name on the waiting list. I guess I’ll give it a month or so to see if they come back in stock before making a decision. That trem is definitely a better way to go, even if it is a little more costly than what I was thinking to spend.

12. jeepster61605

jeepster61605 Squier-Nut

Dec 21, 2009
    Central IL
    FB_IMG_1580596566954.jpg
    It's ok. I used it to add some weight to the totally too light body. But I'm just not a trem user...

13. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I can't consider it costly when compared to a Bigsby..

14. Jes Woodland

Jes Woodland Squier-Meister

Sep 4, 2020
    Nottingham UK
    I fitted a Chinese Bigsby clone to my cheapo Telecaster...I just drilled out the existing string Holes to allow them to pass through without snagging...works great and looks pretty good too,IMHO! IMG_20210106_191521.jpg

15. RoyalWe

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    I saw your post about that mod. Do you have a link to the trem you bought?

grizzlewulf likes this.
  16. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Meister

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    As an owner of a Bigsby, it's not bad to get one but knockoff or real, Bigsbys have well known tuning issues snd just as many tried and true fixes.

That being said, that GFS one seems to be pretty nice and may have slightly better stability.

grizzlewulf likes this.
  17. Wizzer

Wizzer Squier-holic

Jul 12, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The one from Guitarfetish is great, but you can't use it on a Tele that's already been routed for the bridge pickup cavity, as the saddles don't adjust far enough to intonate the guitar. It's a good 1/4" off. They should mention something about it on their site, but they don't. It's fine if you're doing a build from scratch, but it's not a drop-in when the routing is done already and you can't place the pickup cavity where you need for intonation.

Luvs2yoko and RoyalWe like this.
  18. Jes Woodland

Jes Woodland Squier-Meister

Sep 4, 2020
    Nottingham UK
    This is the listing for the one I bought... You can get it for less direct from China.
    It has been said that these cheap clones are of poor quality, but the one I got was good and after fitting the tuning stability is as good as it was before, its actually better than any 'strat' Trem I've ever had....but maybe I just got lucky!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164361840011

RoyalWe and VealCutlet like this.
  19. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    I’ve messed with a couple, there alright , kind of fickle and cheap, one was really stiff, not sure if the spring is different size than a Bigsby , I might try one on my own build, Bigsby’ aren’t getting any cheaper

RoyalWe likes this.
  20. RoyalWe

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    Thanks for the info! I guess if they come up available I’ll just get the trem without the tele plate, and continue with my original plan of grinding out the plate I have.

Wizzer likes this.