Big News for Ol' SquierTap!

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by SquierTap, Apr 8, 2021.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Big news... For ME anyway... Just a couple hours ago, I placed my order for my Positive Grid Spark practice amp... I've been DYIN to get one of these for over a year now, but when you've got a family, sometimes ya gotta wait... It's "only" $250, but stuff just KEPT comin up... So, I finally decided to make a hard decision; I decided to sell my beloved Monoprice Stage Right 15 watt tube amp... I SUCK when it comes to sellin gear, lol... The ONLY thing that I've EVER sold was my trusty 1985 Peavey Bandit 65, and I sold it for almost nothin ($65, I think) to get money up for my Katana 100, and I wish I'd never sold that, lol...

But sellin the MP-15 was way harder than I thought it'd be... The Spark and the MP-15 cost the same thing; $250, but I KNEW that I wasn't gonna get THAT, lol... But I hoped I could get RELATIVELY close, lol... Posted it for $200, well, $190, and there it sat, on my local FB Marketplace... For a month... Then I started lowerin the price... Finally I dropped it to $170, and the next mornin, I finally got a bite...

Keep in mind that I live in Nashville... Where you CAN'T find a used guitar, even a "no-name" for less than $150, and every single Squier that I've EVER seen has been listed as a "Fender Squier", and people will usually buy a Squier from Guitar Center or Sam Ash for $150, then either abuse the HELL out of it, or throw it in a closet for a couple years, then list it as a "FENDER Squier" for $180, lol... And the Corksniffers are EVERYWHERE here... I experience "Squier-Hate" just about EVERYWHERE... From the looks that I got for YEARS showin up to gigs with my Squiers and Peaveys, to even the "sales-douches" at Guitar Center ("Yeah, I hear people SAY that they're ALMOST as good as like, Mexican Fenders or somethin... But I just can't bring myself to step on stage with a SQUIER..."), Lol...

So, just to give ya an idea, the guy that showed up to buy the MP-15 had a "Jazz Brunch" gig that day, and BRAND NEW, SPOTLESS, black velvet, pointy-toed boots, lol... He said he moved down here from Kansas City, Missouri, and I guarantee he hasn't took a STEP that wasn't on a sidewalk, lol...

But, despite his questionable fashion choices, his $170 allowed me to go ahead and place the order for my Spark... So thanks, Jazz-Brunch dude, lol... The MP-15 was nice, and I LOVED the tone, but I kept it outside in a finished/drywalled shed that I've got my studio in, and no matter HOW good it is, I just can't get out there, lately... So, I needed somethin I could keep INSIDE with me, and the kids...

I'm pretty stoked... Oh, and today I finally canned all those B.S. Squier groups on FB... I can't stand those people... SquierTalk has always been "home" for me; I came here lookin for advice on buyin a CV Tele years ago, and EVERYONE was so cool, and kind, and knowledgeable... Since this was my FIRST guitar forum, I didn't know how MOST guitar forums were... But I QUICKLY learned... MOST people in MOST guitar forums are the EXACT same Corksniffers that have made fun of me and my Squiers my WHOLE life... And those FB Groups weren't ANY different, even if they were for "Squier Owners"... IMHO, MOST of those Corksniffers own their Corksniffer guitars and HAPPEN ACROSS a Squier, and discover HOW GOOD they are, so, they've got 10 "Brand Name" guitars and ONE Squier, so they join up... Today I saw a post IN A SQUIER GROUP, that basically said, "I was gonna buy a Squier, but I just saw these Fender Player Series, and they're ONLY a little more, which should I get?" And I just couldn't take it... I bailed... I'm a SQUIER FANATIC, but I DON'T like Fenders... I never have... Back when I was a kid, I didn't have much of anything, and a Fender guitar might as well have been a Ferrari... But Squier was within my reach... I was a HUGE Nirvana fan, that's the reason I picked up a guitar... Kurt HATED expensive stuff, and I guarantee if he had been around for longer, he would've had a signature Squier... So, seein him onstage in silhouette with that iconic headstock? Squier put that in MY hands... Now, as an adult, I COULD spend more money and buy Fenders, if I WANTED to... But I DON'T... To me, especially with Squier Classic Vibes, there's just NO NEED... I paid around $350 for my vintage blonde '50's CV Tele, and you simply couldn't ASK for a better Telecaster... I HONESTLY wouldn't trade a $2500 Fender Custom Shop for it... Sorry, I had to get that out, lol... Those groups piss me off SO much... Oh well, as of now, not my monkeys, not my circus...

2. surfrodguitar

surfrodguitar Squier-holic

Aug 4, 2016
    Laguna Niguel
    Right on bruh!! I hear ya, I bailed from FB months ago, such a time suck. Most of the guitar groups were lame anyway but now that I got this band thing going, I have rejoin. This time around, going to try to keep it all music, no other bs.

3. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I'd gladly take a $2500 CS Fender for one of my CVs. Then I could buy another CV, and a whole bunch of other stuff from the money I got selling it.

4. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Cool man, glad you moved that on. You tried it, and now you have a reference point. And a new one inbound soon, unhindered by any pointy-toed velvet boot guys or monkeys jumpin' on the bed. Jazz certainly can enhance a good breakfast or brunch though, I've heard it happen. It would be so awesome if it was possible to know what happens to gear once it leaves your possession. The Mighty Mono could be just starting out on an interesting career with who knows how many different owners!

EDIT:. He wasn't wearing a bolo tie, was he?o_O

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    JurnyWannaBe, SquierTap and dbrian66 like this.
  5. ALinPHL

ALinPHL Squier Talker

Feb 18, 2021
    Phila,Pa
    Did he happen to mention where the boots came from?

JurnyWannaBe and SquierTap like this.
  6. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    When they’re out of stock, I’ve seen Mono’s listed at or above list.... but they sit there for a LONG time. Funny, you almost NEVER see the near identical Laney models listed used (only difference is the Laney’s have digital reverb). I sold my original 15 in a package deal with a VM Mustang HH for $325, it took a month to sell.

I love cheap, and nothing I have cost me above $500 (though a few are worth that, I’ve only paid that for one), most are 300 and under (and of those, most were $225 and under).

My Squier’s are still the most numerous, and the ones I have (IMO) are better than their Fender counterparts. Dimension bass (IV & V), CV Starcaster, 2014 ‘51, VM Fretless Jazz, and VM SS Jag bass.

I don’t hate Fender though, and do prefer the chunkier necks... so one Strat, and one Tele are in the stable.

I’ve been teetering on the spark, but using Chordify, and my Mustangs, I’m 95% of the way there.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    JurnyWannaBe, SquierTap and drewcp like this.
  7. lost sailor

lost sailor Squier-Meister

Oct 7, 2013
    Wolf 359
    I have 2 Squiers.....a Standard (neck too thin) that I don't play too much
    but my SE - I put a CV 70's neck on it and put back the hum size P90s on it......it became a 'magic' guitar --- everything I play on it sounds so good now. I play it more than my MIA's or MIM's lately. I never heard anyone say my playing would have sounded better if the headstock said
    "Fender" instead. Cork sniffers should know where they can shove that cork.

JurnyWannaBe and SquierTap like this.
  8. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    All very well said! I totally agree, the main reason I hang here is the attitude and knowledge that gets shared on ST is the best anywhere on the intergoogle. Good luck with the new Spark! Let us know how it works out for ya.

9. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier Double Platinum Member

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    congrats on the new Spark!! Looking forward to seeing your demo of it when u get it :)

10. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Yeah, I forgot my password for my FB, so I couldn't even get into my account for a couple years, and that's when I found this place... I have a love/hate thing with FB, I've found that it's like a lot of things in life; It depends on HOW you use it... It can be be a window into people's lives that I don't get to see much... Or it can also be a tunnel of negativity that just POURS negative vibes into your life

Caddy and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  11. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    See? My guy, lol...

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  12. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I laughed my @$$ off for 5 minutes... Affirmative on the bolo, lol... But yeah, I could TOTALLY get into a show that tracks the history of legendary guitars...
    We live in a time of INSTANT everything, which IS convenient, but it comes at the loss of history and heritage... I'd LOVE to see the journey of Eric Clapton's "Blackie" or "Brownie", or David Gilmore's black Strat, or Tony Iommi's "Rat" SG... From the factory to their mythical statuses... Hell, I'd LOVE to see where my Bandit 65 wound up... A show about legendary gear would be awesome... Think you're into somethin...

-r3- and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  13. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, you know how it is, lol... I don't necessarily NEED the Spark... Between that V-amp combo and the Katana 100 combo, and my 22 pedals, there isn't really a vibe or sound that I can't cop... But havin it ALL in one spot, and havin it be SO easy and sound SO damned good? I don't "need" it, but I've gotta have it, lol...

radiotech and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  14. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Hear here... The MAIN thing that bugs me about Corksniffers isn't necessarily their lack of knowledge... It's their passion for NOT WANTING to gain ANY knowledge... ANYONE that "likes what they like" without ANY knowledge of WHY, or HOW, has NO place judging MY sound... Usually the ONLY thing they "know" is that if it's a "brand" name, it's probably "okay", but it has to be EXPENSIVE to be good... But hell, if I paid $2500 for a guitar, I'd wanna like it, too... Lol...

JurnyWannaBe and Leo Jazzmaster like this.
  15. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Oh, everybody knows it'll get a full SquierTap review when I receive it, BUT that seems to be problematic currently, lol... Before I placed my order, I noticed that the Spark wasn't an Amazon Prime item... Meaning that 2 day shipping was out of the question... But I went ahead and ordered it anyway... Imagine my surprise when $259 INSTANTLY became $295 after tax and shipping... I'm used to payin EXACTLY what the item costs with Prime... So, that was the FIRST thing; But I also noticed a lil notice that said "Item usually ships within 6-10 days"... I thought, "Oh, great... I'll have to wait a WEEK to get my grubby mitts on it..." Then the next mornin when I checked to see if it had been shipped yet, the delivery date was April 28th... A freakin MONTH... Like Tom Petty said, man...

-r3- likes this.
  16. Leo Jazzmaster

Leo Jazzmaster Squier-Meister

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    I've seen people shred on Fenders ANS Squiers AND no name guitars. What matters is what you do with it, not the decal on the headstock.

SquierTap likes this.
  17. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Lol, oh, YOU know there's gonna be a demo, lol...

18. fuelish

fuelish Squier-holic

The Spark has sounded interesting to me since they came out, let us know how it goes. As far as the Squier/Fender thang, I have a Squier Bullet HSS Strat, a Squier Bronco bass, and a MIM Fender '72 RI Thinline Tele.....love them equally....but I am not a bassist at all ... LOL ....I sound like a guitar player trying to play bass, which is cool, it's all good fun....and my Fender Rumble 25 or whatever it is bass amp works and sounds amazing with my guitars through my multi-fx thang, super clean amp, lets the Digitech do it's thing

SquierTap likes this.
  19. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I feel exactly the same... But I also LOVE an Underdog... Some people like to "flex" by showin up with an insanely expensive rig, I'm the EXACT opposite, lol... I wanna impress people with my tone, then watch the look on their face when I tell 'em how cheap I "slid in" for, lol...

Leo Jazzmaster and fuelish like this.
  20. howserx

howserx Squier-Meister

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    So how long do you have to wait? I'm sure you'll love it. I've been getting a new appreciation for my modeler lately. Now that I have things tweaked (BTW, be prepared to waste some time tweaking things) I can plug in and play without disturbing anyone. It really is nice...