Best Tone Cap for a Tele?

Discussion in 'Pickup Joint' started by RetiredNSquired, Sep 18, 2020.

1. RetiredNSquired

RetiredNSquired Squier-holic

Jun 20, 2018
    Canton, Ga
    250K pots. Really nice Alnico 5 pups. .022 or.047?

2. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Supporting Member

It depends on what you like a tone knob to do. If you like a subtle high treble rolloff, you can use a .01. If you like a very muffled, all bass rolloff you can use a .047 or higher. It's best to try one and experiment until you find what you like.

4. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Just a kicked back frog... Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I have .033 using SD Quarter Pound pups..

Tele56, ChinaCatSunflower and Jmv668 like this.
  5. Big tuna

Big tuna Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I have used both and i could not tell a difference myself. I have used other values as well liked them all i think what i have handy i stick in and it works for me but i am tone deaf so i have been told.

Viking likes this.
  6. havlma1

havlma1 Squier Talker

Dec 21, 2017
    Europe
    The cap affects your tone even when tone is fully open, there is always a small amount of highs going through. And the value of your pots matters of course. So there are two things to consider:

1) With which cap you like your open-tone sound the best? Subtle differencies, but they are there. I also tend to like 0.033
    2) If you roll off your tone, with which cap you get results you expect the best? Turning the tone pot all over from full to none is a long way and some of us may prefer to use higher cap values to be able to roll of necessary amount of heights in a shorter turning distance.. etc.

So.. just experiment, I don't think there is any rule.

Tele56 and ChinaCatSunflower like this.