Best Modern Day Rock Band?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by dbrian66, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!! Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    While I love the Gothenburg Death Metal scene, it's been sort of stale since the mid 90's. Nothing really new coming out of that area of the world.

But it's influences are important. They used Scandinavian folk music to inspire their death/black metal roots. I've been searching for bands from other cultures who have dived into their ancestral roots to bring a different form of death/black metal. I really enjoy when modern bands incorporate traditional instruments and rhythms into their music.

Here are some good ones:

African Death Metal

Asian Death Metal

Samurai Metal

dbrian66 and grizzlewulf like this.
  2. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Nut

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco
    @Eddie, et al.:

Saw this Metal from India

--

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  3. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-holic

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    I am trying to listen to different music and it's hard to change my ways don't get me wrong I listen to a wide variety of music but not really new. After the post by @dbrian66 to check out his nephews I had a listen to there album. Talented young band.. not metal but good.. also Dented is good.

dbrian66 and SoleilSF like this.
  4. SoleilSF

SoleilSF Squier-Nut

Mar 1, 2019
    San Francisco
    @Eddie

And of course you have Leo M from Norway who is doing Metal covers of everything from "Hello" by Adele to ... everything.

--

-

--

--

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    dbrian66 likes this.
  5. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I don't listen to either modern or rock music. :D

6. gearobsessed

gearobsessed Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2013
    new zealand
    Stoked to see porcupine tree mentioned a few times, I especially love their album 'In Absentia'

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. -r3-

-r3- Squier-holic

Jan 28, 2016
    NC Piedmont
    Because I know you will forgive me...

mbroadus and dbrian66 like this.
  8. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I'm really fond of Pale Waves. Like many, I've found their latest album a bit washed up and bland in comparison to their initial singles, though I guess it's still a band developing their sound. Here's my absolute fave single of theirs:

Japanese Breakfast is a band I've found much thanks to the wonders of the Spotify playlists. Also a recent Indie band, their music does have a very upbeat and enjoyable sound to it:

Why not, here's a cover I've made a couple of years ago of this last track:

Here's one last pick more like what the public here would consider Rock. I've found about Hozier thanks to a girl I've started to talk to some months ago. Sadly we've lost the contact ever since, but at least I've got some good music recommendations:

dbrian66 likes this.
  9. Charvel Guy

Charvel Guy Squier-Meister

Jul 11, 2018
    Texas
    I'm listening to Dino Jr's You're Living All Over Me as I read your comment!

dbrian66 likes this.