Best Electric Guitar Value

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by LAPlayer, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Axpert

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    On the grand scheme of things, Squier is no longer a budget brand. The Affinity is $225 ... which is not chump change. The Classic Vibe is $400 ... that's pretty big bucks.

There are other import brands selling guitars at the same quality level to the Squier Bullet and Affinity for about half the price. Those would be better values if the name on the headstock doesn't matter.

Shine, Eddd and drewcp like this.
  2. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I know this is the Squier forum, but the Squier line doesn't even get an honorable mention for budget guitars today. Several people make guitars of the same quality for half the price. I have owned about thirty or forty of Squiers, and still have a few of them that don't get played anymore. I am rebuilding the Squier Series yet again at this time.
    The guitar i play most, I have changed the strings, adjusted the string height, and the pickup level. Nothing else, and I wore out several Squiers in less time than I have on it.
    Go spend $250 bucks with Cort today and see what you get.
    This website petty much puts an end to any idea the Squier line represents monetary value these days, in my opinion.
    https://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/en/

beagle likes this.
  3. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

There is so much more than the actual cost of any guitar for me to consider that as contributing to the overall value. That said, I've found that the MIM Fender line, particularly the Baja, are the best instruments you can get without breaking the bank, but still end up with an exceptional guitar.
    But, it would also be interesting to see the opinions on what we consider the worst "big buck" instruments. Those that get the most publicity, but in actuality are just over-priced attention grabbers.

Shine, Eddd and beagle like this.
  4. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    I was happy with the Special 1 for the past 7 years, but when the 2020 was announced with its big C neck profile, I had to have it. I just love that neck. Is it worth what it sells for ? Yes ! No doubt about it. It's actually the first time since 1970 that I felt the need to buy a new guitar.

I have to say I have Tyson Tone Wraptails 57's in the small one and man do they bark. They might eventually migrate to the new one.

Shine and Treehouse like this.
  5. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    In retrospect I'd have to say that the satin finish USA Telecasters from years ago are pretty hard to beat. I sold this one, and don't regret it because I found a Telecaster that's like a needle in a haystack or a hen's tooth, but for a more common guitar this one is difficult to beat for a Tele player:

USA Tele.JPG

DougMen, bls8226 and Shine like this.
  6. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2020
    Shreveport, LA
    Not sure I consider those sealed tuners. That little circle pops out of the back so you can access them and take them apart. Is that considered sealed? Are locking tuners considered sealed? They're essentially the same, except the cover plate is replaced by the thumb lock for the string. They're more of a closed back/semi-sealed tuner, IMO. Not truly sealed.

7. szombat62

szombat62 Squier-Meister

Jul 19, 2015
    Rotherham, S Yorkshire UK
    Interesting thread. Thanks to all for the comments. IMHO the CV range are really killer guitars and certainly great value. I remember picking up the first one in a shop a few years back, it was the 60s Custom version cos it reminded me of my MIJ Tele and I was really amazed at how it played and sounded. A year or so later I gingerly picked out a Fender Custom Shop Custom, which was great, but considering the price didn’t leave me with the same feeling I’d had with the CV, which I thought strange, but points out how good they actually are. They may not be that cheap, but will hold their value
    well second hand.

As guitarists I think we should appreciate that we can get good instruments of great quality at the lower price range. Many of us old enough can remember some of the poor guitars that beginners were forced to try prior to the advent of Squier, and their first offerings to the market of the humble JV and SQ series back in the early 80s!

Shine likes this.
  8. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    You’re picking nits there...
    Anything with a one piece cast body, a tight cap, that’s pre-lubricated, is referred to as a sealed tuner.

Yes, the caps pop off, but not easily, and if you take one off, you’ll find the innards pristine (which is the intention).

Look at any guitar reviewer, and they will identify the tuners I mentioned as sealed.

Go to the stewmac site and look up sealed tuners... what do you see?

What are you considering sealed over the consensus take?

techowiz likes this.
  9. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Made with seal skin ?

radiotech likes this.
  10. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

Hay Uncle joe, what color is that Tele? It comes across as very pale blue/gray on my laptop. In fact every time I scan back up to, it's a different color.

11. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    How do you pop the little circle out? Pry with a small screwdriver?

12. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I have to agree that just about ALL the CV series are GREAT values, but ESPECIALLY the CV 50's Teles... I've got the vintage blonde one with the Alnico IIIs, and it's my "best" guitar...

ScottMGee likes this.
  13. Mervynskidmore

Mervynskidmore Squier Talker

Oct 6, 2018
    Ireland
    Bought a classic vibe recently for €350 new. It's one of the older ones with the tonerider pickups. It's phenomenal value for money in my opinion. It's less than a weeks work at minimum wage in my country.

bls8226 likes this.
  14. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Based on a 40 hr. work week, that's less than a week's pay at minimum wage in many parts of the US too, but not all. Many states have a higher minimum wage than the federal one, which is very low, but not all states do.

15. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    My best value guitar right now is my Oscar Schmidt Strat, which has a tinted glossy neck, and a dark rosewood board, like older CV Strats. I paid $145 for it on Amazon, with free shipping. And, after changing the pickups to some Texas Specials, it still cost me less and is better than any CV I've ever owned.
    DSCN1056.JPG

elfnub likes this.
  16. MattCleddyf

MattCleddyf Squier Talker

Oct 23, 2019
    California
    There are some awesome guitars in this thread and I’m trying to resist the urge to buy lol. I just finished rebuilding an old Lotus strat copy from 1989 and honestly the thing reminds me of a CV, granted it’s one of the higher quality Lotus models. All for about 100 bucks. It seems like there are good deals and good quality everywhere these days. It’s a great time to be a guitarist.

17. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    I honestly don't know. I bought it used at Robbie's in NJ. I just looked it up. It was a Daphne Blue Highway One Telecaster. I remember that it was a great value, in my mind, and I didn't want to put it on a credit card (pre debit card days) so I drove to the bank on Rt 46 to get the cash. Maybe $500. It was a satin finish that the previous owner buffed out to make it more glossy, but the paint was so thin he really brought down the coating. Looked great to me, but I used it as a minus when negotiating the price down a few bucks. I liked it because it had the '60s style bridge. Played well. I sold it because about a year later I walked into a shop that had my dream guitar in reissue. A CIJ '62 in mint condition. About the same price.

18. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    The CV and the VM series have always struck me as the 'just right' middle ground when it comes to "value."

Yes, you can get a mighty good ax for even less, and there are to me strong enough arguments to to say that there is lasting value even in the higher end Fenders if you know exactly what you want and expect to keep it for life. But that middle ground is the sweet spot.

My own experience is that my VMs are good enough that I never find myself wishing that they are "better" when I play them. And when I think how little I paid for each of them it is really an amazing thing.

The equation could well be different for someone who is a switch-a-roo. -Guitars in and out for the thrill of the change. But for one who likes keepers these guitars are truly an amazing value. True keepers all.

-don

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020 at 9:22 AM
    LAPlayer and Caddy like this.
  19. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    I got a Thin Line for $145 new shipping included. The only thing I changed besides strings is the bridge I went with a six saddle type. What Brand you ask Fire Fly WIN_20200109_10_19_04_Pro.jpg

LAPlayer likes this.
  20. justjazz63

justjazz63 New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Lethbridge, Alberta
    CV 50's tele. I sold my MIA tele and bought the CV. They're that good imo, and should retain their value. Mind you my arthritis likes the cv neck better. So there's that.

Viking likes this.