Best Electric Guitar Value

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by LAPlayer, Jul 26, 2020.

1. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    LA / Denver
    This is sure to draw strong opinions. Bring them. After decades as a working guitarist and having played most quality instruments - but normally playing/owning high-end models from the biggies - I've been trying a lot of (too many) guitars during my COVID free-time. My pick for the best all-around - out of the box - value in an electric guitar is the Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster. Whether older Classic Vibe 50's (NOS) or the current model, these are great playing and sounding guitars for under $400 street price. They bridge the gap between lower-end and USA model Fender instruments.

SquierTap, Shine, Eddd and 7 others like this.
  2. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    I think a used classic series . I see alot of them sell for around 400 to 500 all the time. But as far as new cv is top notch

Eddd and dbrian66 like this.
  3. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    A couple of minor tweaks and they're ready for gigging..
    Good call..

4. MrYeats

MrYeats Squier-holic

Dec 28, 2017
    South Texas Coast
    Shine, campermoose, LAPlayer and 2 others like this.
  5. IronSchef

IronSchef Dr. Squier

Jun 18, 2012
    Flew here on my Dragonfly
    Im sure there are others out there that are great "values" -- but it would be hard to NOT put the CV Tele right up there at the top. First thing I thought of as well when I saw the thread title :)

Eddd and LAPlayer like this.
  6. Smith357

Smith357 Squier-Meister

Apr 30, 2017
    ohio
    Buy them used for 2-300, sometimes less if you get lucky.

MrYeats and LAPlayer like this.
  7. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Factoring in the consistency (QC) and that they don't require anything out of the box, it's hard to argue against the entire CV line.

BorderRadio and LAPlayer like this.
  8. lespaul1968

lespaul1968 Squier-holic

Jan 26, 2019
    Indiana
    It depends also what you mean by value. The classic series new are up towards the 1000 mark. and can routinely had for 60% off that. The classic vibe holds it value alot better. From a buyer perspective classic series is the better deal. From a seller its the classic vibe because it holds better value

Eddd likes this.
  9. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Squier-Meister

Jul 9, 2020
    LA / Denver
    " It's the Indian, not the arrow. "

You've obviously never been to a carnival/festival with crooked arrows. ;)

10. Angry Possum

Angry Possum Squier-holic

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  11. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    To start with, I'd say the be st pickup you can get for your money is a P90.

Looking at it that way, I'd say these two are really really hard to beat.

Special sisters.jpg

Shine, Eddd, Caddy and 5 others like this.
  12. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    I will say the Vintage modified line since I have four.
    Jazzmaster, Mustang, Surf Stratocaster, and Jaguar Short /scale bass. All great values for me :) The Epiphone Les Paul special-1 p90 is another great value guitar.

Shine and BorderRadio like this.
  13. fenderzombie

fenderzombie Squier-Meister

Nov 24, 2014
    oregon
    I would have to say that the classic vibe from that start of production was always on the mark. They are beautiful instruments and a great sound to them. I wish that less people would know about them so I could collect them all!

Shine likes this.
  14. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    New? That’s a harder answer to give nowadays, because there are SoooOooOOO many good inexpensive guitars. I’ll go with the best I’ve got new the last three years for between 100, and $160 (regular price, I have paid less than that for two of them, for fire-sales, and MF stupid deals. All three were deals people posted here at S-T, that resulted in my purchases.
    In no particular order:

7E7A2223-1035-4583-A64B-CFFB9625918F.jpeg
    Squier Bullet Strat: Great finish, thin body that reverberates against you with positive feedback while you play. Pups were not bad, but not great, tuners were usable (I’ve changed both). Small/skinny block bridge with block saddles is very good, and reliable. (paid $99 shipped @MF). Bullet Strat necks are a bit chunkier than the Bullet Tele necks.

Sawtooth ET Tele: I bought this guitar to mod, I still haven’t. Great chunky neck (as wide as a Fender MIM, but a tad deeper at the nut, just perfect), I have three more of these necks just to have spares... THAT good (for me), Nicely finished light sycamore body, and the butterscotch model I have had nicely rounded edged front/back that the other models lack. Best sounding ceramic Tele pups I’ve ever heard. Affinity quality six saddle block bridge is good, tuners are sealed, and not bad. Well cut nut, and frets ends. Small Nut adjustment/cleanup, setup tweak, and a string change are all I’ve done to it. ($74 shipped @Walmart fire sale, but absolutely worth the regular 120-$130)
    EDA5DD18-7C67-43CB-898B-26235A05838A.jpeg C04316FB-FA61-46A5-B761-9919F5F8DDBE.jpeg
    C&G Thunder Tele:
    Bought for the body, and like the Sawtooth, I’m torn on modding. Beautiful satin raised-grain body, with a tummy cut. A chunky (not Sawtooth chunky, but close) U shaped neck, that keeps your thumb properly placed. Tuners, nut, and frets are near perfect, 3 barrel bridge is pretty close to intonated (only for sure hardware change coming), and bridge pup is pure classic Tele (neck pup is OK, but height is under the guard, and I’ve been playing it to much to open it up). I think the pups are Alnico, but again... too busy playing it. ($130 shipped via Reverb/offer).

The Sawtooth and Bullet were bought before Sales tax was charged to internet purchases in my state. The Thunder had a “agreed upon tax” of $8 (should have been $13).

I have to give honorable mentions to slightly higher cost (but still under $200) Guitars I have from Grote (Jazz box), Harley Benton (GuitarBass), and Squier (‘51). All six of the above guitars fight at wayyyy above their weight class.

Shine and Loin Lover like this.
  15. techowiz

techowiz Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    This is mine. C&G Thunder strat style guitar. Paid $115 plus tax. Incredible value. Body made of Ash (weighs about 8.2 lbs). Beautiful blond finish. Came shipped within 7 days from order. Alnico pickups- low output and very articulate. Fret ends finished - no sharp edges. Neck described as U shape, more like a modern "C". Not too thin, not too thick. Satin finish on back of neck- very fast neck. Tone nobs and tremelo made very well. Tremelo assembly looks a little like a G&L. Neck adjustment on wheel below neck. Very nice. Sealed tuners. Work well-hold tune. Fretboard made from synthetic wood (techwood?)- smooth and looks nice. Fantastic value for the $$$. Way better than a Squier Bullet and Afinity. Not quite as nice as a Classic Vibe- but way less money.

[​IMG]

miket1117, Shine and duggerh like this.
  16. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    Awesome set. I’m jonesin’. Which of those two has more value in your opinion?

17. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Dollar to fun ? Without a doubt the cheap one.
    Dollar to Da Real Thing ? The 2020.

18. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    Right! I guess I’m just curious if the fit, finish, quality of the new guy is worth the extra pesos... beyond the set neck. I sure do like it!

19. I can't turn my nose up at anything Squier Strat or Tele from the Standard, up thru the CV lines. That includes the Deluxe, Vintage Modified, Custom lines etc.
    I did see a Deluxe Hotrails and Orange amp for sale cheap, but it's just too far and time consuming to pursue it. I have one already so I don't feel too bad.
    Cheers, Barrie.

20. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    tGroupcut2020.png

The one on the left (Classic Vibe) was the best value, until I bought the one on the right (Harley Benton) for half the price. Both good quality and playable straight out of the box. :D

miket1117, Shine and Treehouse like this.