Best Cheap Crowning Files

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Ahnlaashock, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I finally used the block to level the neck on one of my guitars, and the improvement is good, but I don't have crowning files to finish the frets yet.
    This first one is small fret wire, but the others are various sizes.
    Who sells the best inexpensive solution?

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    I like StewMacs medium 3-corner fret dressing file, covers all sizes I need for a guitar. Learning curve, kinda pricey as stewmac goes (25) but better than the inexpensive Hosco files I use when they actually fit the fret correctly.

Rollmeaway and Ahnlaashock like this.
  3. wickedtools

wickedtools Squier-holic

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    I have a Stew Mac fret file but before I used Harbor Freight's diamond cut files the cost 7 bucks for a set. I still go back to ''tis cheaper files at times

4. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Rollmeaway likes this.
  5. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I use one of these to crown the frets, bought it online from a supplier in Portugal.. sorry don't remember what the cost was but it was pretty reasonable. It is shaped on both edges and I use the file for the initial 2 passes on the fret and then i use grit papers, fine diamond triangle needle file just to take any snags off the fret ends ..

20170217_215330.jpg

Rollmeaway likes this.
  6. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Meister

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    I have been using a 4" swiss cut #4 flat file with one edge ground down smooth and very slightly rounded. You can do this on your sharpening stone under running water.
    I just bought this:
    Screenshot_2017-02-17-17-08-58.png
    But have not used it yet. I like the control that I can get with the flat file. I can see exactly how much I'm taking off the fret and where, with black marker guiding me. Works well on fret ends also. Just protect your fretboard while working.

The Hosco above seems like a fairly good file. I made a pass over one high fret and it seems to cut well. It's just a learning curve for me but I feel like once I get used to it, it will do the job faster than a flat file. We'll see soon. I bought this with several nut files from the same company to save on shipping. BTW, the nut files seem to compare to Stew Macs in quality.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    BorderRadio likes this.
  7. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Meister

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
  8. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I dug through my wife's tool collection, and came up with a diamond flat file with smooth sides, two sanding paddles, and three bags of sanding strips.
    As small as these frets are, I am masking the neck, but i am also ordering the little sanding shields.
    Thanks for all of the responses!
    I am a lapidary, so smoothing of the edge of a file is not a problem.

Do the grooved files work with the smaller frets?

9. mtjo62

mtjo62 Squier-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    USA
  10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2014
    Gilbert, AZ
    Depends on the size. The medium Hosco works the most, but some frets are too big for the small and too small for the medium. I don't like or own any jumbo jumbo speed bumps. There's a lot of chatter happening too, the file kinda coarse, another reason I like the Stewmac 3-sided. Good luck!

11. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Fender DG 60 acoustic. Very small frets. I already did the level, and it is strung up right now for testing. It sounds much better, but I put a set of Pearce Light strings on it that may account for some of the improvement.
    I ordered a small file, and I am also going to order the guards.