Best Bass Strings

Discussion in 'The Squier Bass Place' started by Hugh, Aug 12, 2018.

1. babaseen

babaseen New Member

Mar 8, 2021
    Chelmsford MA USA
    Good info in this thread...thanks! Although I am of the opinion that there are certain strings that match better with certain basses.

I recently purchased the Squier 70s Classic Vibe 5 string and I am really digging this bass. The roundwound strings that Sweetwater had on it I believe were D-Addarios and it was a good match. But as usual I thought I could find a better match so I tried Black Diamond Nickel rounds, Roto SS Swing 66 then DR Blues and presently Curt Mangan Nickel rounds. But I'm still thinking I haven't found the holy grail yet...so the search continues.

Typically I am more about playability (and yes, certain string types are easier to play on than others...light gauge is a must for me) rather than tone when it comes to string selection since I can make a more significant adjustment to tone with pickups, amps and speakers. IMHO

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021 at 2:25 PM
    Hugh likes this.
  2. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    LaBella flats on my Hofner, and Hollowbody Conrad.

D’A half-wounds on most everything else… though I think the original Fenders roundwounds are still on my Dimension IV.

For me, rotosounds are too bright, for too long. I have a set on my SS Jaguar, and a year and a half later, I’m still playing it with the tone only at 25% (too bright otherwise).

Hugh likes this.
  3. BobWithOneO

BobWithOneO Squier-Meister

Dec 3, 2020
    Best Carolina
    I have Labella Black Nylon Tapewounds on my Precision Bass Junior and love them.

Hugh likes this.
  4. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

I just go with D'Addarios because I'm probably cheap and/or don't think the price to performance "ratio" warrants spending more for my situation. I have rounds on the fretted Jazz and flats on the fretless Jazz and the Precisions.

Hugh likes this.
  5. edro

edro Squier Talker

Dunlop Super Brights on my IVs, NYXLs on my Vs.....

Hugh likes this.
  6. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Squier-Meister

Dec 21, 2020
    UK
    Good post :)

I've just fitted the lightest set of roundwound Swing Bass I could find as I suffer from some Arthritis in my left hand( right handed).

Rotosound Swing bass 35/90. They are really easy to play. I had to bump up the bass on the amp modeller I use but they sit in the mix great IMHO. I also had to tame the Top-end a little as they can approach,"Rickenbacker" type sounds but they also react to the guitar's tone control really well.

This demo is using my Yamaha RBX170 bass. Neck pickup ( Staggered two part bass pickup<Ceramic>) and a 0.47 mm thin Bass pick.

I left the bass high in the mix deliberately :)

https://app.box.com/s/x8zcm0z90mtitkr06dg77ehm7867bw25

and same backing with a different amp model and played with my fingers,

https://app.box.com/file/861199017953?s=x2jku2ye2t8z9nzndkri3tj4xmaw2lm3

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021 at 9:00 AM
    Hugh likes this.