Beatles "Get Back"... who's excited?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by miket1117, Oct 13, 2021.

1. miket1117

miket1117 Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
  2. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    Yep… been waiting eagerly since seeing an interview with PeterJackson last year.

Uncle Joe and miket1117 like this.
  3. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Ditto!

It's funny how totally "now" the Beatles have become for me. Yes, "become."

I was a soft "fan" when they were active and front and center. Soft because I truly loved their music I remember -- and its a cool and 'sexy' story when I heard them for the first time on a NY radio station. But "soft" because I've never been into idolizing people, just appreciating (or more) their work.

But time has made my appreciation for them as writers, arrangers, recording artists and performers grow. (About how many musician's can I say that to such a degree? Few.) So in recent years I've started looking at them more closely and with greater enthusiasm than ever.

They are not completely alone in this. Bing Crosby -- yes, he peaked a bit before my time -- also has kindled great appreciation for his absolute uniqueness.

Beyond that its for me Bach, Beethoven and of late Brahms.

Other stuff -- including some really, really good "other stuff" -- is "just" music.

-don

Uncle Joe and Loin Lover like this.
  4. M T Poteet

M T Poteet Squier Talker

Aug 17, 2021
    CO
    McCartney just came out and said John was the one who broke up the band.
    John explained that before he died.

miket1117 likes this.
  5. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I wasn't excited at the time, I'm certainly not excited now.

6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Dr. Squier

Feb 10, 2016
    He also described the Rolling Stones as more or less "a blues cover band," according to the article I read.

miket1117 likes this.
  7. howserx

howserx Squier-Nut

Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    So was that in the film? I saw that in the news (but didn't read) and was thinking it was a strange time to say something like that. Maybe beatles album sales are down. lol

miket1117 likes this.
  8. beagle

beagle Squier-holic

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    Pretty much how Mick Jagger described them in the 60s, when an interviewer asked if the Stones were going to be more like the Beatles.

5ofeight and miket1117 like this.
  9. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Ok.. just a side note. Signed up for Disney plus. About a month ago. Been binge watching the life below zero series.. awesome show.. so there's that.

miket1117 likes this.
  10. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    The Beatles vs Stones thing is something I never understood. It was a rivalry basically created among the publicists -- they in fact were all friends who appreciated each others music.

Nor do I understand the importance given to descriptions or categorizations. Each band's music speaks for itself, and both went way outside any simple it was 'this' or 'that.'

In my musical home Jan was a Stones person with little appreciation of the Beatles until the last several years. I, OTOH, loved the music of both bands and saw no competition between them not need to say one was "better" than the other.

Paul often speaks nonsense. (He did so from the start.) John often said things to shock -- and not rarely threatened to do so just for the fun of it.

None of this in any way to me affects my appreciation for either's extraordinary gifts, and NOTHING explains the magic of John and Paul together.

-don

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Uncle Joe and miket1117 like this.
  11. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Okay. I learned yesterday that the NY Rangers have four games exclusively broadcast on ESPN+. Now this. I guess I'll extend my free subscription to Hulu/Disney/ESPN+. They got me. Can't miss this. I've always wanted to see it as, somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew a film existed. My wife will enjoy it too.

I rented a limo and got seats to see Paul a few years back. It was my wife's birthday. We ate and drank and got dropped off in front of our entrance, really enjoyed the show, then the driver was right there to collect us when we got out. Ate and drank some more. Memorable experience. A bit extravagant but so worth it. One of the few times I didn't mind sitting in traffic. The Beatles have always been special. And I'm not a super fan. Just liked the Beatles like most everyone. Then once, at a Ranger game, the usher who took care of our section told me that the best night each year was when Paul played the Garden. I raised a brow to question the assertion. "You will love it." He was right. Pure class, on stage and off.

Thinking about this, I'm reminded that Brian Wilson plays Morristown tonight. Nice venue. I just wouldn't pony up to see him. I've heard mixed reviews, but mostly positive this time around. That man has been through a lot. We all have our own problems. I'm not going to shell out a few hundred bucks to see him so I can contemplate the fragility of life while other musician's play behind him like a tribute band. Tickets are still available from the box office for tonight's Brian Wilson show if anyone's around here, caught unaware, and into it: Brian Wilson in Morristown tonight.

duceditor and miket1117 like this.
  12. miket1117

miket1117 Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Kansas City
    Jagger had a nice retort to Macca's statement, something along the lines that the Beatles aren't even a group anymore while the Stones have filled up stadiums for decades and still do (paraphrasing him of course). Ah, let'em have their little spat, they're friends after all.

But I don't get why Paul even brought up the "who broke up the Beatles" thing anyway. it's long been known that John wanted to leave the band and effectively quit, and Paul and George both had been working on their solo projects that would have facilitated a break-up anyway. Besides, in the end, it doesn't really matter who or for what reasons.

13. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2015
    Jersey
    Regarding TV, it's all about Gomorrah. HBO Max. I'm through two seasons and at the edge of my seat for each episode. Watch it in Italian with English subtitles. So good.

14. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
  15. M T Poteet

M T Poteet Squier Talker

Aug 17, 2021
    CO
    They kind of were, at first, and a very,very good one.
    Some of their early covers are still some of my favorites.

duceditor and miket1117 like this.