Austin Les paul AS6

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by FS SE, Nov 24, 2021.

1. FS SE

FS SE Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2021
    Colorado
    Anyone have knowledge or experience with these guitars?

I know a 16 year old that really wants a les paul-- neither one of us can justify the cost of a real gibby but I found a sunburst Austin locally that I'm tempted to grab and gift to him for Christmas.
    They have a bolt on neck, not sure about playability or if the pups are any good or not ....

He has a mustang but really wants a LP.
    I'm trying to get him to join a garage band to further his skills--- he has the "ear" for music and can learn to play short riffs in just a few minutes by just listening to a song, or watching a few minutes of a "how to play" YouTube vid.

I think he could be really good if he continues to play.

So back to the question, are the Austin lp's decent for a learning guitar or should I just get him a gift card for the local guitar center and let him save up.
    He's playing through a line 6 amp right now but not sure which model

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    Robb, miket1117 and dbrian66 like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie My Squier is on Fire !!!

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Post a picture. How much is the seller asking for the Austin LP?

I had one but it was a thinner body. I wasn't a fan, but it's a good guitar for a decent price. Don't overpay.

Otherwise, get an Epiphone if he wants an LP. Tried and true wins the day.

I wish I had an ear for music. It's a gift. If he has it, nurture it and he can be something special.

Keep us updated. :)

3. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I think @jefffam is familiar with Austin guitars

Robb, dbrian66 and Eddie like this.
  4. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Yes, Jeff was the one who gave me the information on the Austin LP's. He's definitely very knowledgeable and a fan of the guitars.

Make sure the LP is full thickness. a thin bodied LP just doesn't feel right.

5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    You beat me to it! LOL

I am pretty sure he has multiple Austin’s that he has high praise for.

Robb and drewcp like this.
  6. FS SE

FS SE Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2021
    Colorado
    Screenshot_20211124-171526_Chrome.jpg I saw one on reverb for $110 make offer plus $13 shipping--- the local one is $150 + tax ( at a consignment store, so I'd make a lower offer if it's an OK guitar)-- rhe only epi's I can find locally start at 350 and go up to just under 1k

Robb, Squittolo, miket1117 and 2 others like this.
  7. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Dr. Squier

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I had one exactly like that and it was really nice. It played well and sounded good. I think I paid $125 for it.

Robb and miket1117 like this.
  8. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Yes, not a bad price. I think I paid $140 for a white Austin LP, but thin body.

Make a reasonable offer and I'm pretty sure you'll be taking it home. :)

Yes, cheaper than an Epi ... and probably just as good.

Robb and miket1117 like this.
  9. FS SE

FS SE Squier-Meister

Mar 9, 2021
    Colorado
    Compared to the firefly les paul classic? Better, worse?

10. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I've had 3 Firefly's. None stuck. I wouldn't risk $220 on a Firefly. You're not sure what you're gonna get. It's touch and go with the quality.

Lanaka, mkgearhead and FS SE like this.
  11. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Dr. Squier

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    I'd take the Austin over a Firefly. The QC is way more consistent on the Austin.

Robb, Lanaka and FS SE like this.
  12. five teles

five teles Squier-holic

Oct 27, 2014
    shoals alabama
    I have a pair of teles ( AU962) made in Korea. If the serial number starts with AU those are usually pretty nice from what little experience I have. Hope this helps some. Also, the super six ( i think) are supposed to be pretty decent. Good luck.

Robb and Lanaka like this.
  13. TVvoodoo

TVvoodoo Squier Talker

May 26, 2020
    Sasquatchewan
    I own an Austin DC... actually really nice... set neck, full thickness.

[​IMG]

Is the Austin one of those pregnant looking LPs? I saw a goldtop version that almost had me grab it

Robb, Squittolo, yoga and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    I have one of the Austin telecaster copies. Very nice inexpensive telecaster, and even the factory pups are pretty good. It has a set of pickups modified by JSKeen in it.

Robb and Lanaka like this.
  15. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    I have a 2000±5 Austin AU766. I bought it for 125$.

Austin_AU766-CC-(1564²).jpg

This is way back when I didn't know as well on what to watch out for in the various types of guitars. In that respects, I got lucky in that 90% of the guitars that I've gotten are not turds, 40% of what I gotten are decently playable as is but could use upgrades/tweaking to maximize the potentials, and 10% (about 5 of them) are sufficiently great enough that no serious mods are needed (but will get cosmetic upgrades to personalize and improve overall appearance).

Now, I can say in comparison to my AL-3010SE, which is my benchmark to which all other LPs I get must match or beat, that the AL-766, while in itself is a not bad guitar, it certainly doesn't meet the standards set by AL-3010SE.

Agile_AL3010SE-(3000x4000).jpg

The Austin is a basic maple neck bolted onto a maple capped mahogany body. However, unlike the Agile's fat chunky set neck, the Austin's neck is a thin c shaped, more similar to the Fender modern c shape. And the fretboard's inlay is a mere simple dot vs the Agile's abalone traps inlay. Oh, btw the Agile's fretboard is ebony in contrast to the Austin's rosewood fretboard. Hands down the Agile wins. 1:0.

The Austin body is very noticably thinner at @1.5", whilst the Agile is nearly 2" thick. The weight is noticably different: Agile is 9.31# whilst the Austin is 8.33# (4.22 vs 3.78kg, respectively).

So in practical terms, the Austin is easier to travel up/down the frets at shred speeds, but I curiously found the Agile's neck more comfortable. The Austin's thinner body is lighter and more slimmer to play on, but I'm more used to, and prefer, guitars that are at least 1.75" thick, even if that means a heavier guitar. Agile wins again. 2:0

Like most LPs, they both used 22 medium-jumbo frets, with the Austin perhaps having a touch bigger frets. They're both equally comfy to fret on. The picking hand also sees essentially the same thing, a chrome tun-o-matic saddle and stoptail. So a draw there: 3:1

The Agile looks way more upscale with the flame maple blue burst body, ebony fretboard with real abalone inlays, black headstock with real mother-of-pearl inlays. The headstock, neck and body has binding. Chrome hardwares and pickup covers. The theme here is chrome and black over the blue to green backdrop.

The Austin OTOH has rosewood with plain gray dot inlays. Only the neck and body had bonding. The body had plain maple peeking thru the 2-tone burst. Surprisingly, despite the thinner body, the Austin is only about a pound less. The theme here is chrome and cream over a red/yellow background.

The Agile easily wins in the appearance/appointments class, with a heavy emphasis on appearances, however with some judicious upgrades, the Austin should be a real looker (thinking gold hardwares and reinstalling a pickguard (cream/black/cream)): 4:2.

In the tone department, the Agile has a set of low to medium output (for humbuckers), while the Austin has a bit of a hotter set of humbuckers. The Agile makes a convincing reproduction of the Pearly Gates, while it seems like the Austin was aiming for the Hot Rodded set but fell slightly short of that target. 5:3 Agile, with a point to Austin just for trying (but I suspect installing a real set of JB/Jazz would def help the Austin).

Which guitar do I reach out more often when both are equally available for playing? Agile, almost 9 out of 10 times. 6:3.

The sustain check gives the Agile an edge with almost 24 seconds before it becomes indetectable. Austin is a hair over 16 seconds, which in itself is pretty good too. 4 bars vs 6 bars. So 7:4 Agile, with another point to Austin for doing surprisingly so well.

Ok, that's over 10 points total, the final summary is that the Agile trumps the Austin, hands down, but don't count out the Austin right off the bat. I'd say with a few judicious mods and a tweak or two here and there, the Austin has a lot of potential to be a great player. Oh and the fact that ye can often find an Austin for under 200$ is a big plus: more money for mods and upgrades. ;):D

OTOH, you could get an Agile for more up-front cash and get a guitar that is likely not to need as much upgrades. Especially if it's a AL guitar with series numbers >= 3000.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    shingh2002, Robb and Squittolo like this.
  16. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    I tend to agree, the AU series are generally dated to the turn of the century. If taken cared for, they make great building platforms to jump off with. They certainly are affordable.

My AU-766 LP is an excellent starting point for me with a few cosmetic upgrades (gold hardwares and maybe a cream/black/cream pickguard) and a pup upgrade (gold JB/Jazz) and TUSQ nut. I paid 125$ for the AU-766.

Austin_AU766-(3000x4000).jpg

My Austin AU-731 Strat is nearly perfect for me so it only needs cosmetic upgrades and a few tweaks (TUSQ nut and locking tuners for quicker string changes and maybe a brass block to increase sustain and introduce a tiny bit more warmth). I bought the AU-731 for just 120$. Cosmettically I'm gonna swap to a set of red/black "tortoise" pickguard and rear cover from a 2004 Squier SE. Hopefully the bolt holes will mostly lines up.

Austin_AU-731-A(2000x4000).jpg

Red Tort-(1440²).jpg

Robb and Squittolo like this.
  17. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    Yes I believe good quality by I will not be able to put my hands on this. The entire lot seller is asking $250. I would definitely want to go look but just don't have the extra scratch at Christmas time. Screenshot_20211127-074614_Facebook.jpg

Robb, Lanaka and Squittolo like this.
  18. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Have ye tried communicating to the seller that you're interested in entire lot but willing to buy the lot piece by piece, at whatever agreed pro rata?

Robb likes this.
  19. bigtuna

bigtuna Squier-holic

Nov 1, 2015
    s.w.mo.
    No.. just a bit tight ti after the holidays..

20. Lanaka

Lanaka Squier-holic

Feb 11, 2020
    Honolulu, HI
    Ah, know the feeling, especially now that some of the restrictions on some billings has been lifted.