Astrocaster 2

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by beerbelly, Mar 21, 2021.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    Big day today. Got all the hard stuff done- swimming pool for pickups routed, control cavity & cover plate recess routed, input jack hole drilled, wire route for pickups to control cavity drilled, and ground wire hole under bridge drilled. There are SO many ways to ruin a body with all these steps, so everything was triple checked before any tool was turned on. It is beer-thirty RIGHT now!

20210417_122359.jpg 20210417_152317.jpg 20210417_125033.jpg 20210417_132441.jpg 20210417_160106.jpg

2. drewcp

drewcp Dr. Squier

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Is this one going to be the same color as before?

SoCalJim and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  3. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    Yes, Dupli-Color Sublime Green Pearl.

BSP208 Sublime green pearl.jpeg

4. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    Not much exciting today. Did a little patching of some minor router tearout, and drilled holes for the pots, including some small holes for the locating tabs on them. Also test-fit the input jack & plate, then some sanding and grain filling using Rockler 'Wunderfil', a water-based grain filler. It's much like Timbermate if you've used that.

jack plate & control mounts.jpg grain filling.jpg

5. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    Good progress today. Sanded the grain filler and sprayed the body with vinyl sealer. Routed the pickguard, but still need to hand-cut the opening for the bridge. Pre-drilled the tuner mounting holes and did a test fit. I also use foam earplugs in the tuner holes when finishing, so the lacquer doesn't build up in there- I do have to leave the top one open for hanging while spraying though.

sealed, back.jpg pickguard routed.jpg tuners on.jpg tuner stagger.jpg foam tuner plugs.jpg

6. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    Got the pickguard and controls cover done today, and a base coat of white on the body.

pickguard & controls cover.jpg white base coat.jpg

7. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

8. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    Here's a pre-paint mock up of the progress so far:

pre-paint mock up.jpg

9. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Nut

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    That looks great black & white.
    Like......friggin great

10. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    West Coast Landia
    Wow, great concept and great build. I really like the symmetry between the pick guard and the head stock.

11. BlueSquirrel

BlueSquirrel Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    France
    Awesome !

I really love the clean lines.

Just one question out of curiosity : I suppose the knobs' layout is two volume, one tone but how do you do switch from one pickup to the other (I cannot see a switch, although perhaps it's there but it's black on the black pickguard so harder to spot) ? Will there be an intermediate position with the two pickups blending together?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    SoCalJim and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  12. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    One of the knobs is a 3-position rotary switch, rather than a lever. It will select bridge, bridge+neck, and neck. The other two are volume and tone.

wraub, RoyalWe, fattboyzz and 5 others like this.
  13. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    Slow day today; painted the headstock notch and mixed up some tinted lacquer for the neck. It's supposed to be rainy until next Thursday, so I'm gonna hold off on doing any painting until after then.

painted notch A.jpg painted notch B.jpg

wraub, fattboyzz, SoCalJim and 8 others like this.
  14. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    Pre-wired the controls today; all that's left to do is hook up the pickups after the body is painted.

pre-wire.jpg

15. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-Axpert

Fancy ground work ! ! Great Idea ! !

drewcp, SoCalJim and beerbelly like this.
  16. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    First green & amber color coats on. I was trying to wait for a less rainy day, but you know... can't.

1st green.jpg 1st amber.jpg

wraub, RoyalWe, fattboyzz and 7 others like this.
  17. mbroadus

mbroadus Squier-Meister

Dec 31, 2012
    jax
  18. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    ME TOO!
    I sold the original and regretted it immediately. I've been designing and building guitars for several years, and felt this design was my best ever; in fact I registered it and have a copyright on the design. On this one, I'm refining it down to the most elemental shapes and applying all I've learned about guitar building to try to make it my best-ever build. It will never be sold, and may go with me to the grave. Hopefully a long time after it's done...

Copyright 2.JPG

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  19. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    6 rounds of clear; the body is really starting to glow:

neck #6 clear.jpg body #6 clear.jpg glow.jpg

wraub, -r3-, Hadronic Spin and 10 others like this.
  20. beerbelly

beerbelly Squier-Meister

Jan 30, 2013
    Oregon
    Got 3 more coats on today, and that's gonna be it. Now comes the hard part- waiting for lacquer to cure. Probably won't hear from me for 3-4 weeks.