Are the Giants dead?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by 65refinyellow, Mar 1, 2021.

1. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    Winning three championships in five years makes the San Francisco Giants the most
    potent baseball dynasty since the Jeter-led Yankees who scored four championships in five years.

The Giants only have Posey, Belt, and Crawford from their dynasty years in the first half of the 2010s

They have later pickups in Longoria, Cueto, and Yastrzemski. The Giants biggest
    acquisition however imho is their new boss, President Farhan Zaidi who previously helped build the next likely dynasty in the Los Angeles Dodgers.

I think with Zaidi's eye for raw talent, he could bring us deep into a postseason while we still have one of our veterans.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  2. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I don't even care anymore. I got to see the two Willies, Cepeda, Marichal, the Alou Bros., Perry, Davenport, et al, at Candlestick (which was named by my Dad's assistant, Al Dermody) in the 60s. That's good enough for me!

65refinyellow likes this.
  3. Shine

Shine Squier-holic

Nov 29, 2016
    West Coast Landia
    Looking forward to the day when we can go back to the ballpark to enjoy more live games.

As a relatively recent Giants fan, we've had the pleasure of enjoying some very choice seats about a half dozen rows back from third base a couple of times via gifted tickets.

Pretty magical!

4. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal

Almost as amazing for the Bay Area as the even more stunning Golden State Warriors in Oakland and San Francisco.

I think the only other time a city had dual five year dominating dynasties was of course New York I think when the Islanders and Yankees peaked together a very long time ago that also took home six championships.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Shine likes this.
  5. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    That's before my time and even including the great years of the dynasty we saw with Posey and company, the earlier years you saw are far above anything that San Francisco had ever experienced.

The closest I came to that was I was friends with Willie Mays' wife but we never talked baseball even once.

6. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The only problem then was that the Dodgers still almost always took the Giants out at the end of the season, with Koufax, Drysdale, and the rest. There were no playoffs then. Whoever had the best record at the end of the season went to the World Series. And, it seems that the Yankees dominated MLB in the 60s (actually, not just in the 60s, but forever). The Giants won the pennant in '62, but they lost to the Yankees in the World Series. They are third behind the Yankees and Dodgers for World Series appearances, but the majority of those were before the move. They are 4th for the number of WS wins, just one ahead of the Dodgers. The Yankees are 1st, the Cards 2nd, the As and Red Sox tied for 3rd. As for WS appearances, it's the Yankees 1st, the Dodgers 2nd, the Giants 3rd, and the Cards 4th.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Series_champions

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  7. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    Those Yankees of the early 1960s had topped off World Series wins #19 and #20
    in a period that spanned starting back just thirty nine years earlier.

In four decades, they took home half the trophies and that will never be repeated again.

DougMen likes this.
  8. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Deep pockets!

9. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    There used to be more difference between the leagues. Even though the American League didn't have designated hitters then, and the National league had it's share of sluggers, the American League was more the league of long ball hitters, while the National was just as much about hit, run, and steal. The amazing thing about the Say Hey Kid is that he could do it all better than anyone else, including fielding and throwing. It wasn't unusual for him to throw someone out at the plate from center field, and the Polo Grounds in NY and Candlestick both had really deep center fields!

10. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    The Lost race of Biblical Giants.

11. Bluzy

Bluzy Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2017
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Baseball starting back up mans the return of spring and I feel like we need that more than ever, Hoping my aforementioned Yanks have a better year. And for @65refinyellow you had a 2nd baseman than helped propel you to one of those World Series....Joe Panik. He grew up in our town and went to high school here. So I was rooting for your Giants during those years.

12. 65refinyellow

65refinyellow Squier-Nut

Jun 29, 2015
    norcal
    Likewise our rural Northern California town of 1,200 people had Aldrete, a key coach now with a ring who was on the Yankees. For our small town other than an Oakland's A's pitcher, it was a proud moment. We are unusually over represented in youth league baseball.

When the St Louis Cardinals won the World Series (right in the middle of the Giants dynasty), the camera often showed the coaches in the Cardinals dugout and it showed Aldrete. In all of baseball, I have never seen anything more exciting.

The equivalent for you being in the Bronx would literally be like seeing somebody from a medium sized apartment building that you shared with living near a young boy who would grow up to skipper an offense that would win the series. The stress must have been otherworldly as if your men tank on there batting averages and lose the series, it's all on you!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Aldrete

Bluzy likes this.
  13. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    I'd love to see the St Louis Browns and the Brooklyn Dodgers in the world series ...

DougMen likes this.
  14. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The most famous catch of all time, game 1 of the World Series the year I was born

15. DougMen

DougMen Dr. Squier

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    They got rid of Hunter Pence too? I thought they just brought him back. I guess I'm not paying attention anymore. It seems like whenever they let someone go or trade them, then they bounce back with their new team. And, it was a total disgrace to trade Mays to the Mets. They should have let him finish his career at Candlestick.

16. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Squier-Nut

Feb 28, 2011
    Long Island
    I saw the title and I got excited, I thought we were going to talk about The New York Football GIANTS!!..
    (sorry, not much of a baseball fan, counting the weeks until the NFL draft..)