April Snow

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by duceditor, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Leo Jazzmaster

Leo Jazzmaster Squier-Nut

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    I don't think I could survive above the mason dixon line with all that snow... I love it, but we only get it maybe every other year around here. The patterns in the ice (from the wind?) are really beautiful in your pic!

2. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Many feel that way. If not when they are young, then most certainly as they get older. -And thus the migration pattern -- southward!

Jan and I enjoy having all the season revealed in their full glory -- and our being able to enjoy just that was a prerequisite when we were making our choice of where we retired to.

And thus our settling for (hopefully) the remainder of our lives in a quite rural, quiet and peaceful, New Hampshire art town.

-don

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 6.51.17 AM.png

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  3. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    I've noticed there are a lot of people from Michigan and Minnesota who moved to Tennessee for that reason. I really like snow, but I've realized I only like it in the small doses we get around here. But from the pictures you've shared, it looks breathtakingly beautiful.

duceditor likes this.
  4. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    This is Vermont, but I imagine it to be similar to New Hampshire?

Leo Jazzmaster and vlxerdon like this.
  5. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Yes, quite similar. Well, at least here in the Monadnocks.

N.H. also has a rugged Atlantic Ocean coastline which Vermont does not.

Stone and Wood - Autumn.jpg Dreary Autumn Morn.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 1.33.49 PM.png

-don

6. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    And now for something completely different ...

I remember working at a weekly newspaper in a suburb of Fort Lauderdale back around 1971 or '72 a few snow flakes fluttered down. It was such a rare sight that some teachers stopped their classes so the students could go outside to see the spectacle. I tried to get a few pictures of the snowflakes so I put out a dark sheet on a car and tried to take a picture of the snowflakes ... which melted just about as soon as they landed. All I got was a nondescript photograph that looked like flakes of dandruff on a dark background.

The next day the headline in the daily newspaper was SNOW! in outrageously large type running across the entire width of the front page.

duceditor likes this.
  7. Amelia

Amelia Squier Talker

Oct 6, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    Got snow on June 13 once when I lived in Wyoming. But we could also have 70s in January.

Leo Jazzmaster and duceditor like this.
  8. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Squier-Meister

said we got 2 inches out of that nor'easter but we also got rain. was supposed to stop at 5 this morning. 5 this afternoon it was still spitting.

duceditor likes this.
  9. DJGranite

DJGranite Squier-holic

Feb 7, 2012
    maine
    I sometimes forget NH has 12 miles of coast between Maine and Massachusetts...

duceditor likes this.
  10. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Worth posting and repoting... All our flowers and blossoms seemed to have survived.

The cherry tree appears not to have lost a single blossom, and the daffodils seem to have come up unscathed -- this despite being totally buried under snow.

Pretty amazing, really! (Or so it strikes me!)

My photo of the day taken this morning...

Survive it? Of Course We Did!.jpg

-don

grizzlewulf likes this.
  11. FS SE

FS SE Squier Talker

Mar 9, 2021
    Colorado
    Got 9 inches of snow in the lower foothills where I tried to go turkey hunting this past Sat morning-- more snow tonight and probably mid week too

duceditor likes this.
  12. blackspider57

blackspider57 Squier-holic

Mar 11, 2017
    Montana
    2+ inches last night. This morning a winter (April) wonderland.

duceditor likes this.
  13. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    A bit of snow sounds really nice...NorCal has been bone dry and warm since mid March and I fear we're getting an early start on wildfire season.

duceditor likes this.
  14. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    We supposed to get some in the Midwest tomorrow

15. FS SE

FS SE Squier Talker

Mar 9, 2021
    Colorado
    Is
    Isn't that the norm for Cali? Get just enough moisture in the winter to grow weeds and grasses In the spring--- summer dries them out-- then everything burns, then you get just enough rain in the fall to have mudslides --- and it starts all over again ;-)

grizzlewulf likes this.
  16. grizzlewulf

grizzlewulf Squier-holic

Dec 11, 2020
    Lucerne, California
    Pretty much, it's just a question of when the rain stops, and how much we get during the rainy season. Over the winter we were way below average rain, and it'd make things worse if the rains stop early.

Might get a few showers this week, fingers crossed. Anything would be welcome.

17. Leo Jazzmaster

May 14, 2020
    West Tennessee
    I remember one time, must have been '85 because my sister (also named Amelia) was only about a year old, it snowed 3 inches in Alabama in MAY. The next day it was 80 degrees, lol.

Amelia likes this.
  18. strat_strummer

strat_strummer John Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    The weather is crazy this year.

19. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    No but it has the Champlain valley between Green Mountains and Adirondack Mountains, where winds are accelerated and low systems can bring lots of ... everything. That's a big lake at 200 km (125 miles) long and 122 meters (400 feet) deep.

They're forecasting 10+cm of snow here on Thursday.

I beleive the seasons manager has been downsizing. Do we really need those two superfluous seasons called spring and fall ? They last what ... a few days ? And all everybody does is complain about them. Let's get rid of those and get on with summer and winter. Two seasons, that's it, much easier for eveybody.

duceditor and Leo Jazzmaster like this.
  20. DrBeGood

DrBeGood Squier-holic

Dec 9, 2014
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    Now calling for 20+ cm ... I'll should get my snow shovel from the shed.