Anyone upgrade parts on their 2019 Squire CV 70's Thinline Telecaster

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by consoleb, May 26, 2020.

1. consoleb

consoleb New Member

Dec 29, 2017
    massachusetts
    I bought a Squire Classic Vibe 70's Thinline Telecaster with the Wide Range Humbuckers. I love playing the guitar acoustically but plugged in it it to muddy, doesn't hold the best tune, and I think the parts could be upgraded. Today my questions is not about the pickups but the hardware, the tuners and the bridge, has anyone upgraded the tuners and bridge? What do you recommend? I am considering Gotoh Vintage style Tuners but don't know if they'll fit the holes. I have no idea what would be a better bridge.
    Anyone have any luck upgrading theirs?

Thanks
    B

Treehouse and Davis Sharp like this.
  2. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Check out Wilkinson tuners and bridge (Guitar Fetish), you should find that they are both quality "drop ins" and reasonably priced. I did replace the wide range HBs in mine with Dimarzio's looking for change more than anything else. Welcome aboard.

3. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    Upgrading and customizing are good fun, but don’t give up on those stock tuners!

I suspect any tuning stability issues are being caused by strings binding at the nut. This is likely if you are using thicker strings than what came with the guitar (and possible even with the factory strings) You may need to widen the nut slots.

Also, have you lubricated the nut? Pencil graphite works well.

Have you read Fender’s instructions on how to install strings properly on vintage style tuners? You can find it on their website on “how to properly set up my telecaster”

I bet you can get rid of some of the muddiness by lowering the pickups. You will also get a cleaner sound by not having the guitar volume knob all the way up.

And if you’re used to single coils, you might need to adjust the EQ of your amp when switching to humbuckers.

Good luck!

fuelish, Triple Jim, Eddd and 3 others like this.
  4. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    North Pole
    The tuners and bridge are VERY high quality already on this model - tuning stability is due to setup, strings properly stretched, and nut slots cut properly. Those upgrades you have in mind don't address your problem. Have you had electric guitars before? Has this Tele been properly setup?

Treehouse, Eddd, beagle and 1 other person like this.
  5. PapaShark

PapaShark Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2020
    Long Island
    As posted already Always put on a new quality set of strings and let them break in before doing anything!

Eddd and drewcp like this.
  6. consoleb

consoleb New Member

Dec 29, 2017
    massachusetts
    Thanks for the feedback. I owned many guitars and it is set up correct so I will try the graphite on the slots. I changed the strings two weeks ago and play it everyday but I will try another set of strings and see if that helps. Has anyone upgraded their pickups on this model? If so what are your favorite Wide Range Humbuckers.

Treehouse likes this.
  7. PapaShark

PapaShark Squier Talker

Apr 25, 2020
    Long Island
    The stock pups are very nice sounding, no need to change them just play.

fuelish, Treehouse and Triple Jim like this.
  8. Jmv668

Jmv668 Squier-Nut

Feb 21, 2017
    Chile
    Dont waste money, stretch the strings , and use some graphite or light oil in the bridge and nut.

Treehouse likes this.
  9. jamndad

jamndad Squier-holic

Nov 23, 2013
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    I have a 2019, 60's Thinline. I'm going to try some brass, compensated saddles. Other than that, I'm leaving it alone. It's beautiful and the Fender Designed pickups are nice.

Treehouse likes this.
  10. Maybe you got a lemon there? The previous "generation one" CV's where top notch. I've heard some mixed reviews on these new ones. I'm settled in quite nice with my early CV's
    Cheers, Barrie.

Treehouse likes this.
  11. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Meister

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    woah. not a lemon! don't go by what you heard. like guitarmageddon said, needs to be setup. let's give it a fighting chance. cheers!