Anyone plays the 3/4 size strat by choice?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Domino, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Domino

Domino Squier Talker

Oct 30, 2019
    Northern California
    Hi. I’m not a kid (72), and take my playing seriously. Wondering if any of you play 3/4 size guitars by choice? Already got a 24” scale Tele from SX, very happy with it, and now considering a 3/4 strat from the same co. 3/4 size guitars don’t seem to be of any interest on this forum. There are no threads on that subject. Is it because they are for “kids”, and not serious guitars?
    But Mustang and Jaguar are “serious” guitars... I know Fender made a few of those short scale Strat, but they are impossible to find...

Has anyone replaced the pick guard and the pups on a 3/4 strat? Obviously the body is smaller, so must be the pickguard (10 holes, not 11, but that’s minor), but what about the pups? Will regular Strat pups fit without too much work?
    Thanks for your comments.

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Look up 'Squier Mini' - there are TONS of threads and info here, and it's very well thought of and highly touted here....we have lots of threads on this subject....

Squier Mini Strat

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/stratocaster/mini-stratocaster/0370121506.html

On one of those, regular Strat pickups fit the pickguard perfectly....

beagle and drewcp like this.
  3. Fret Cheese

Fret Cheese Squier-Meister

Sep 10, 2016
    Bordeaux
    Maybe I'm misremembering but think squier did a short scale Strat (not the mini) a few years back. Anyway if they did they didnt last long:)
    I'd also be interested in trying a 24" scale Strat as I'm a fan of jags and mustangs.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  4. Domino

Domino Squier Talker

Oct 30, 2019
    Northern California
    Thanks Fret Cheese! Still wondering about how easy or not to upgrade the pups. I have a Fender strat bridge 57/62 waiting to be installed, but will it fit? Also, replacing the pickguard. Must be a smaller size too?
    I’ll have a glass of Bordeaux cab when done! (I’m french, but live in the California wine country)...

BlueSquirrel and Fret Cheese like this.
  5. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    YES, as I said already, a Fender 57/62 bridge pickup will fit this guitar, any Strat pickup will.....100% guaranteed.....

pickguard is next to impossible to replace, you'd have to get one custom cut/made and it would be like $40+ with shipping, not worth it to me.....it's a much different shape than normal size Strat pickguards, and only has 2 knobs....

The Mini Strat and the 24" scale pack are 2 different guitars with 2 different scales....and both use a non standard Strat pickguard....

6. Domino

Domino Squier Talker

Oct 30, 2019
    Northern California
    Fret Cheese: A Squier CV Mustang would be my second choice. I just like the sound options of a strat better. I’m very happy with my upgraded Affinity Strat, superbe neck! My hands just need a shorter scale...

Fret Cheese likes this.
  7. Domino

Domino Squier Talker

Oct 30, 2019
    Northern California
    Thank you Guitarmageddon, but i wouldn’t choose a scale shorter than 24”. Good to know that any Strat pup will fit.
    Wondering if the body is thick enough to also replace the 5 way switch...

8. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    The body is thin, like 1.5 to 1.6" but a 5-way should fit....BUT....why change it ? Getting a guitar and thinking of mods before you even have it in your hands is silly......you might love how it sounds when stock....

9. Fret Cheese

Sep 10, 2016
    Bordeaux
    Yes I what you mean. I love my jaguar but it can't do those strat tones :)

10. Fret Cheese

Sep 10, 2016
    Bordeaux
    I heard you've got some decent wine in California too :)

11. Domino

Domino Squier Talker

Oct 30, 2019
    Northern California
  12. Domino

Domino Squier Talker

Oct 30, 2019
    Northern California
    I never liked the ceramic pups sound on the Squiers i have played. IMMO, they don’t deliver the unique clean sound of a Strat. Personal taste..
    The switch is not a must, but I’ll probably end up getting new pots.
    On my Affinity strat (1.6” thick), i had to drill a bit the switch cavity to make it deeper to accomodate a US 5 way switch.
    But it worked.
    Thanks for the info.

13. rbh32

rbh32 Squier-Nut

Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    I use the mini necks by choice..

14. beagle

beagle Squier-Nut

Nov 19, 2017
    Yorkshire
    I play mini Strats for fun, until the grandkids jump on me and make me give them back...

familyjpg.jpg

Viking likes this.