Anyone know much about Bullets with a silver star on the headstock?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Irish Luck, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Irish Luck

Irish Luck Squier-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Auburn, Ca
    IMG_2898.jpg IMG_2895.jpg Hey everyone,
    Well you guys saved my bacon last time so I thought I'd use your expertise again.
    I found this for $90 on Guitar Centers used site.
    It's got a silver star on the headstock It's not written out but a silver colored star.
    Are there only certain years they put that star on the headstock?
    All the reading I've done so far conflicts with what the guitar is. Meaning they didn't offer a SSS tremolo blue body like this until the sulver star wasn't on the headstock.
    I'm waiting for them to open to get a serial number. I know that would help a lot.
    Here's some photos and maybe some of the experts here can fill this newb out on what's the story behind this. New? Old?? Frankensquier?
    Thanks so much for any info you can toss my way!!

2. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Squier-holic

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    The neck was originally part of either an MIJ E Series HSS Bullet or it was off of an MIJ A Series Bullet... It would normally have square end cut neck heel like a telecaster but this one looks someone hit it up with some sandpaper and etc to give it a "curve" at the heel so it would fit a strat body with curved neck pocket... No clue what the body is from... Looks like someone already bought it tho as its being listed as no longer available...

3. Irish Luck

Nov 5, 2016
    Auburn, Ca
    Well I got a hold of the manager at GC and he said the sticker with the serial number is missing. And he can't find a serial number. Or country of manufacture. I told him my concern...that the body style (SSS with tremolo in Daphne Blue) wasn't available until after they stopped putting the silver star on the headstock.

He kinda just said ' hmmmmmnn well the neck sure looks awesome.'
    So...it's all on you guys to figure this out, since Guitar Center doesn't know what they're selling and this guy doesn't quite know what he might be buying. Hehe

At this point it's on layaway so it's mine if I decide to buy it, or I can walk away.
    I'm definitely leaning towards Frankensquier and the walk away option.

Again any help is greatly appreciated!!

4. Irish Luck

Nov 5, 2016
    Auburn, Ca
    It's no longer available because I put it on layaway until I figure out what the deal is. But I'm pretty sure I know. Those things go fast on gc. I figured by the time I researched it that it would be sold. So this way I have either option. Fish or cut bait....

5. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    I took a look at GC to try and get a better look. You may want to go see if you can get it to intonate properly. I was thinking it may have been one of the MIK Bullet necks that had the star on them but it isn't. Rocco is dead on. It a MIJ Bullet neck that has been modified at the heel to fit. It also looks to be married to a newer MIC Bullet body like the ones they had out around 08/09. Those bodies are the thinner bodies. That's a lot of some guy finagling two parts that were never meant to be. At best, I would put the value of that guitar at what you paid for it but if the intonation is jacked, then you should tell GC that if they pay you $20 you would kindly take it off their hands.

Irish Luck likes this.
  6. Irish Luck

Nov 5, 2016
    Auburn, Ca
    Ya. Looks like I'm cancelling this one. It seemed odd that in the Fender catalog the specs didn't match up.
    Thank you guys!!

7. Davey

Davey Squier-holic

Mar 31, 2015
    Monroe WA
    I believe they also made those in Korea. Looks like maybe a modern bullet body. I swear guitar center has the worst guitar pictures on the net and they never show the back.

I am sure a few people own those here on the group, maybe they will chime in.

Fender corp. using the Bullet name over and over and over does not make researching easy.

Irish Luck likes this.
  8. Irish Luck

Nov 5, 2016
    Auburn, Ca
  9. Irish Luck

Nov 5, 2016
    Auburn, Ca
    I've got real eye for the fakes.
    D'oh

10. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    The serial # would have been on the neckplate...

Pat V. likes this.
  11. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    It would be about 120 bucks after ship/tax. The neck on its own would be worth at least 140 had it not been sanded down to give it a curved heel to fit strat body. No clue if it was done well or not and etc so hard to say what the guitar is worth... If the neck was stock tho and not modified it would definatly be worth 120 bucks...

Zzzzz... MIJ E Series HSS Bullet...

s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

corn, Pat V. and Irish Luck like this.
  12. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    If it were me, I would back out. You might get enough in parts that you could break even but I assume you were wanting a nice guitar that would be a player and a keeper. There are a lot of red flags with this one. I had forgotten that my MIK also had the flat heel neck. I think those necks are nice and if this one wasn't modified, you could have slapped it on a Tele body and had a fun guitar and then sold the Daphne Blue body to cover the cost of the Tele body. In it's current condition, I think there is a good chance you are going to have to throw more money at it when you get it.

I saw this one when I was looking for yours. No it doesn't have the MIJ neck but I think it is a purple Standard listed as a Bullet. It's the same price as what you are paying.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Squier/Bullet-Stratocaster-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-112815351.gc

Irish Luck likes this.
  13. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Just an FYI, I just bought a Cort LP from GC. Shipping is cheaper if you have it shipped to a local GC. It also takes away the danger of someone stealing your guitar from your doorstep.

Irish Luck likes this.
  14. Roccobagadonuts

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Hmmm did they change the way they do shipping? Or maybe they just messed up on ur order or somethin? They used to charge the same to front door or to the nearest store...

15. Irish Luck

Nov 5, 2016
    Auburn, Ca
    Really? Cheaper than shipped to my home?
    I thought it was $23 either way.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Ya, this one is a mess. I'm calling to cancel it.

16. Kickstand

Kickstand Squier-Nut

Dec 23, 2015
    El Mirage Arizona
    Irish Luck likes this.
  17. Acidhouse

Acidhouse Squier-holic

Sep 16, 2010
    Birmingham . . . Alabama
    Probably not cheaper than $23 to your door. I'm paying $20 to have it go to GC. The person I spoke with told me it would be more expensive but she might have just not known.

18. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

There are a couple of additional reasons to ship to your local GC. You can inspect upon receipt and point out anything wrong, shipping damage, etc. Possibly negotiate a lower price if there is. It is also one less guitar related arrival at home, which may help keep the domestic peace!

radiotech, Irish Luck and Kickstand like this.
  19. Irish Luck

Nov 5, 2016
    Auburn, Ca
    Many good points there (especially the last one!)
    Ya, inspection upon arrival is a good thing too. Last one I ordered the output jack was busted and inside the cavity. Easy fix but once that worked I found out the 5 way selector was also broken.
    Aren't they supposed to test these before purchasing them? Let alone selling them as working?
    That place is going downhill fast.