Anyone interested in owning their own music store?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Eddie, May 23, 2020.

1. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

The nearest one to me is 50 miles away. I just checked and they're showing no guitars for sale. They have a few drums and clarinets and other stuff, but not much.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  2. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    Is that Greensboro, or Cary? Lots of guitars at all 5 here in the twin cities.

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Cary. It must have been a temporary web site problem because now they're showing lots of guitars.

4. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
  5. DADGAD

DADGAD Squier-Meister

Nov 1, 2017
    California
    WalMart missed the boat when the internet broke wide open. Amazon started just by selling books. WalMart could have been amazon but, they were too slow. The train left the station without them.

6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

Yes, and I said the same thing about companies like Kodak when digital cameras came out, and Maglite when LED flashlights came out. You could get some nice LED flashlights and Mag's website was still saying that incandescent was superior. And maybe the worst one of all... when the US car companies kept pushing big low MPG cars years after cars like the Honda Civic hit the market. I was 16 and in a car with a friend when we saw a Honda civic and joked about it being so small. It didn't take long for me to stop thinking they looked funny.

7. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I like the way you think. And the truth is, if the young ladies are hanging out enjoying cupcakes the young men will stay right there hoping luck will come their way whether they can handle expensive gear or not. It's a proven business model that has worked in this country since before Prohibition. Sure, the circumstances and substances have changed, but it's pretty close. And in these times of Social Distancing, what better way to keep people on opposite sides of the room. It's the new version of Speed Dating. Some of us may actually be more attractive wearing a mask, too.

8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Squier-holic

I'm afraid that's very true.

9. regularslinky

regularslinky Squier Talker

Sep 13, 2010
    NEPA
    $29k for a business with $25k of inventory? That tells me that they are selling nothing. From the photo of Ibanez/Gibson/Epiphone guitars, it looks like these folks foolishly tried to compete with MF, Sweetwater, etc. The rent is very reasonable, but if they can't sell this stuff, what makes you think you can? And what kind of reputation would you inherit?

I've seen small music stores make money with some combination of (1) lessons on a broad range of instruments, (2) selling and renting band instruments (clarinets and such), (2) selling and leasing pianos/keyboards, and (3) doing repairs and restorations. I've seen small guitar-centric stores make money selling high end guitars/basses and taking custom shop orders - the kind of stuff that is so expensive, people hesitate to buy it online.

I'd love to spend my days in a shop selling guitars and such. If I had the skills to do the repair part I might even consider it someday. But I'd start from scratch rather than buy someone else's mistake.

10. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Squier-Meister

Jan 28, 2020
    Shreveport, LA
    Yea, I questioned that before ever seeing the ad. No one on this entire planet would sell 250k in inventory for almost 12% of the actual cost.

Absolutely no one. That's when I clicked the ad, figuring someone made a typo.

Kenneth Mountain and dbrian66 like this.
  11. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    That's funny. My brother in law and I opened a music store in the 90's. It was next door to my in laws very successful bakery. We always joked about knocking down the wall in between and combining the two. My mother in law didn't want deadbeat musicians taking up her customer space. I think she meant us.

12. Maguchi

Maguchi Squier Talker

Aug 5, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Hmm, Keyport, New Jersey? Not sure about the location. According to Wikipedia "At the 2010 United States Census, the borough's population was 7,240, following a decline of 328 from the 7,568 counted in the 2000 Census, which had in turn declined by 18 from the 7,586 counted in the 1990 Census." On the positive side, it includes inventory, and the seller is saying the inventory value is $25k. Hmm again.

Kenneth Mountain, Eddie and dbrian66 like this.
  13. Maguchi

Maguchi Squier Talker

Aug 5, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA USA
    Look again & count the zeros. It's $25k not 250k in inventory.

Kenneth Mountain and Eddie like this.
  14. Byronshands

Byronshands New Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Montreal
    Anteviral would be a possibility

Kenneth Mountain and Davis Sharp like this.
  15. aoresteen

aoresteen Squier-Nut

Oct 31, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    No. The State of New Jersey killed it for me. That is a non-starter. I left Illinois in 1993 and am not going to deal with a high tax state again.