Anyone else play one of these?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by duceditor, Oct 28, 2020.

1. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Back in my hay day as a rocker such as it was -- that's the mid `60s -- I found I needed some quiet time and looked to a guitar such as (but not equal to) this one...

Alhambra 11c.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 6.09.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 6.09.58 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 6.10.10 AM.png

I practiced my then rudimentary music reading skills and worked for hours to learn music by JS Bach, Vivaldi and others.

No, I never "mastered" it. Frankly my skills -- mental and physical -- were not up to the task. But the pleasure was certainly real enough. So real that when I, some 35 years later, moved NH -- not yet in the house we now live in, but in what s now our smallish 4 room guest cottage -- I got this guitar, a superb 2nd hand Alhambra 11c. -An instrument far beyond what my music making truly deserved.

Jan was still living in our Boston home then, just joining me for the weekends, that so she could care for her aging parents, and the cottage had no TV, nor even for a time a radio or stereo. So my evening were devoted again to this.

I wish I could say I then "mastered" it, but no. Time had not improved or filled in what was lacking, but the pleasure remained real.

Yes, then life moved on and that lovely Alhambra became a case queen.

I'm thinking the time may be right to take her out again.

Anyone else here play (or wish they played) classical guitar?

The only public use I ever gave to a classical. And no, it wasn't to play JS Bach. :)

aic_andiloveher.jpg

-don

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  2. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier Talker

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    I've got a second hand classical which I got for free, it's cheap and a bit hard to play on which is why i'm looking into buying an electric, however it does the job for my learning. IMO, classical guitarists are seriously underappreciated. I'm glad that guitarists like Lucas Brar can help shine some light on the classical guitar.

3. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    A friend of mine pulled an old Tele Star classical out of someone's garbage bin and gave it to me. Cleaned it up and it's a bit hard to keep in tune but it's a nice change of pace from electric or steel string acoustic.

Attached Files:

HikerDave, fattboyzz and duceditor like this.
  4. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    I've had a few. They all had Huge wide necks and No truss rod.I would'nt mind Playing one with a more narrow fretboard and low action.

HikerDave, mb doug and duceditor like this.
  5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer ^^ Doing what I do best^^ Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    I've been wanting one. Igor Presnyakov plays some stunning classical guitars. If some of you have never heard of him, check him out on youtube. Unbelievable guitarist.

6. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    Thanks for that.

No, his music was not familiar to me.

Kind'a fun to hear familiar pop and rock (plus more) done in his silk string style.

Makes me less embarrassed by my having used my classical guitar for pop and rock back when as in my image above. Why be stuck in expected genre's, eh?

:)

-don

HikerDave, mb doug and strat_strummer like this.
  7. strat_strummer

strat_strummer ^^ Doing what I do best^^ Silver Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Well Don you are in for a treat then if you check him out. He plays it all and is a pleasure to watch...

8. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Swanton Ohio
    Got one but don't have the skill needed for playing classical music..
    I use it more like Willie does..

9. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    I do not have a nylon string guitar, let alone a true classical guitar..... not that I ever had the discipline or skill to master one! Finger style on a steel string acoustic is one thing. Anybody will get more accurate with an acoustic... there's no hiding from what you're actually hearing. But Classical Guitar? It's an art unto itself. And with the fingerboards so flat and wide on these guitars if you're hand is not correctly positioned, you won't get a single properly fretted note.

I have my Segovia recordings and the recordings by his most beloved pupil, Christopher Parkening.... also a big fan of Liona Boyd's technique and tone, too. I'd probably come up short going for the tone and the technique but I'd bet the exercise would do me good.

HikerDave, duceditor and mb doug like this.
  10. mb doug

mb doug Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Long Island
    Nothing wrong with that.

HikerDave likes this.
  11. otma

otma Squier-holic

Nov 4, 2012
    Owen, Wisconsin
    I like them, although I've never had a really good one. I also don't really play any differently then I would on steel strings. I have an SX classical guitar with a preamp, but I only play unplugged because I don't really like the tone it has amplified.

HikerDave and duceditor like this.
  12. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    Years ago, I bought a Hernandis grade 2 from Sherry Brener in Chicago to (try to) learn rudimentary classical in order to improve my electric playing.

I ended up developing far faster in ability and technique in the classical style and instrument than on acoustic or electric, ironically.

My profession is hand-use intensive, though, so long fingernails eventually weren't in the cards and I sold the Hernandis. The little plastic fake fingernail picks I could never get used to.

Sweet Alhambra.

My $.02.

HikerDave and duceditor like this.
  13. jefffam

jefffam Dr NC Gold Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Portland, TN
    While not exactly 'classical' in the more common reference to guitars, Ovation made a nylon string semi-classical at one time. Genn Campbell played one. It's neck is wider than an Ovation steel string, but not as wide as a more conventional classical guitar. It also had an adjustable truss rod if I remember correctly.

wonkenstein, Luvs2yoko and duceditor like this.
  14. duceditor

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    The reason that many traditional classical guitars, including very fine ones, don't have a truss rod is because they do not need them. The tension of gut/silk/nylon strings is far, far less than metal strings.

In the case of my Alhambra 11c the Spanish cedar neck is reinforced with ebony. (It also has a very rigid ebony fingerboard.)

-don

15. SubSailer671

SubSailer671 Squier Talk Member ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

The guitar I play the most these days is a 1970 Kay MIJ nylon string. The neck is so wide I sometimes think it needs a yellow stripe down the middle. I love the dynamics you can get from nylon and how easy it is on the fingers. I try to do the classical thing, and I can just a little bit but then I listen to someone who really knows what they are doing and get depressed.

I've been working on a lot of jazzy chords lately, and I find the nylon is much more forgiving for that.

duceditor likes this.
  16. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    A low action on an acoustic kills the volume and is not needed with nylon/gut strings.

Caddy and Luvs2yoko like this.
  17. CVSteve

CVSteve Squier-holic ‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎

Dec 28, 2017
    Texas
    Nails are not required:

...of course he is a Squier fan as well:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Viking and HikerDave like this.
  18. wildelectric

wildelectric Squier-Nut

Sep 23, 2016
    Western Illinois
    Tried it (and trained it and tried it and trained it), no dice.

The technique for pieces and runs that I gravitated toward required the firmness and texture of nails.

Appreciate the vid post, though.

19. HikerDave

HikerDave Squier Talker

Feb 23, 2020
    Tempe, Arizona
    I started playing classical guitar in the early 1980’s after graduating college. I just loved the sound; I had a roommate who was an advanced student of Christopher Parkening at Montana State University; it was really great to work on my engineering homework to the sound of my roommate doing his homework of practicing classical guitar pieces.

I eventually lapsed and sold or gave away my battered old Yamaha Cedar top. But last year I decided to take it up again and bought a Yamaha CG102. I didn’t bond with that particular instrument and brought it back to Guitar Center to trade up for a Yamaha NTX700 and acoustic anp which I really like.

Over Christmas I bought a Squier Bullet Mustang to avoid disturbing my family which I now play every day; I only play the classical guitar once a week outdoors but a few times during the week use the electric to finger-pick classical guitar music. These days I’m more interested in getting better at playing rhythm guitar on the electric though.

duceditor and CVSteve like this.
  20. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    Well ya know, playing that nylon string NY Martin all those years..... and Willie is no slouch on the guitar.
    If I could use a nylon string like Willie does, that would be alright with me.

CVSteve and duceditor like this.