Anyone Else Love Basket Cases?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Slacker G, Sep 13, 2021 at 11:25 AM.

1. Slacker G

Slacker G Squier Talker

Sep 6, 2021
    Iowa
    I really enjoy finding cheap guitars that are in bad shape and trying to turn them into dream machines. I always look for low dollar throwaways that people give up on and pawn or sell at yard sales and so forth. Most of the time they can be turned into usable guitars. Sometimes I can trade them off for higher dollar axes.

2. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    I enjoy a challenge too. Plus if I see a good one that been neglected or badly wounded I kinda feel sorry for them.

3. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Me too. I especially like truss rod adjustments and neck pocket shims. As this is my specialty.

4. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    Great thread. The buck stops here, no basket case will be left behind. My fav 3, $75 Harmony Strat Coodercaster, $90 Kingston Hound Dog Taylor, $15 Silvertone Redburst. DSCN5029.JPG

5. Exhead

Exhead Squier-Nut

Jul 15, 2015
    Nevada
    All the time. Tiis one is getting there.... It is a NC97 body and an unknown Ibanez neck.

I have a home for abused guitars. They do turn out nice and are rehomed, for a fee, and then I go get nice stuff with the sweat of my brow.

IMG_8941[1].JPG

6. cool gouhl

cool gouhl Squier-holic

Dec 4, 2014
    Cincinnati
    Looks nice!

7. fluffy391

fluffy391 Squier-Meister

Oct 16, 2020
    Sydney
    Did someone say...BASKET CASE?

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  8. ant_riv

ant_riv Squier Talker

Aug 29, 2012
    Chicago
    My wife teases me that she thinks I enjoy working on and repairing guitars more than I enjoy playing them.

That is not true, but I do enjoy taking a 'basket-case' and turning it into a very nice playing instrument.

9. Charvel Guy

Charvel Guy Squier-Meister

Jul 11, 2018
    Texas
    Just realized who your avatar is...Steve Castle from Futurama....died of terminal boneitis.

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  10. wraub

wraub Squier-Meister

Feb 27, 2012
    az
    Here's one I'm currently working on-
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    It came from a thrift store. When I got it it was in an old Charvel case with broken latches, and had the Westone body with a 90s Jackson replacement neck, gold Schaller cold-war tuners, an ancient Hi-A singlecoil, a late 80s SD Invader, and a Kahler Spyder with the arm. All looked a little...grimy, like from a lot of use. For this motley assortment I paid just under $30. :D
    I pulled the pickups and the Jackson neck for another project, threw on a Fender Tele neck w/ tuners and some other pickups. It still needs new pots and it wants new knobs. It's light, balances well, and plays surprisingly great, really good ergonomics too.
    There is a singlecoil rout under the tape, but I don't usually like a middle pickup unless it's on a Strat. The tape seemed to fit with the ratty vibe.

The other "basketcase" is a diy Tele body I picked up cheap because it needs finish work and finishing. Ash and black limba- it'll get the Jackson neck and the Invader. I haven't decided if I'll use the Hi-A there, but I am tempted.
    [​IMG]

chopdoc, Exhead and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  11. madmtnmotors

madmtnmotors Squier-Meister Silver Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Sunny Central Florida
    I am always up for a challenge. I look at it as a way to develop and hone my setup skills, especially since I am more mechanically inclined than I am musically inclined... ;) :D

I'd rather botch the setup/repair of an inexpensive guitar than on a high dollar axe! I expect to reach a point where setup of an expensive guitar will no longer give me pause.

chopdoc, Exhead and Kenneth Mountain like this.
  12. Slacker G

Slacker G Squier Talker

Sep 6, 2021
    Iowa
    You guys have rescued some nice looking basket cases and made them happy. It makes me feel good to know that an abused guitar all alone in a junk pile can find a happy loving home. Maybe I watch too many youtube animal rescue videos but it is nice to see an abused guitar that has been given a second chance. Good work.

Exhead and surf green like this.
  13. White Dog

White Dog Squier-Meister

Oct 19, 2011
    Iowa
    Absolutely! If the truss rod works the way it's supposed to; I "feel like" (and have proven personally and with other peoples 'so called junk') that I can make anything play and sing.
    Like others have said; give me a week with it (AS LONG AS THE TRUSS ROD WORKS) I will hand you back a guitar you never knew you bought at a garage sale for $15.00. It's probably my favorite thing.

Exhead likes this.
  14. Eddd

Eddd Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    What’s up with the bridge pickup on the Harmony?

15. surf green

surf green Squier-holic

Jul 15, 2014
    RI
    @Eddd , that pickup is a Lollar "stringthru". It's a repo of a 50's Supro lap steel pickup. Made famous by Ry Cooder when he installed one on his strat,and built steel-string-through-main_400x562.jpg the "Coodercaster".

Eddd likes this.
  16. Eddd

Eddd Squier-holic

Nov 20, 2019
    Canada
    I just read the official Lollar description,pretty cool.

surf green likes this.
  17. Luvs2yoko

Luvs2yoko Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Pa
    image.jpeg image.jpeg Just started filling holes and cleaning this up. Not sure what I'll do with it, but for 20.00 I couldn't resist.

chopdoc and Powerstroke like this.
  18. Powerstroke

Powerstroke Squier-Nut

Feb 18, 2021
    Usa
    Me too