Anyone else have a GF/wife with asthma? I need some help!

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Year Zero, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Shaytan

Shaytan Squier-holic

Apr 10, 2018
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Regardless what you might use, it won't be 100% odorless. Your best bet would be having some friend or relative who wouldn't mind letting you do that over at their place.

Year Zero and dbrian66 like this.
  2. Year Zero

Year Zero Squier-Meister

Oct 27, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    After all the research I'm skipping the shellac this time. I found I have some wipe on poly and a small can of Danish oil.
    It sucks when on so called expert on youtube says you have to seal poplar then another says no you don't hence all the research. Which says poplar does not need sealing/filling.

In fact from what I've read I can sand the body to where I want it, primer it then paint it though I will hit it with Danish oil first.
    Thanks for reminding me about the wipe on, tung oil etc.:)

RoyalWe likes this.
  3. Year Zero

Year Zero Squier-Meister

Oct 27, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    I would if not for Covid. A friend of mine has a homemade spray booth but like me he's not having contact with anyone for the near future.

4. RoyalWe

RoyalWe Squier-holic Silver Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Western Oregon
    Glad to help, and that you found something that’ll work for you!

Year Zero and dbrian66 like this.
  5. Year Zero

Year Zero Squier-Meister

Oct 27, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you RoyalWe!

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. archetype

archetype Squier-holic

Even if you use shellac as a sealer, you should determine if you still need a primer or the *equivalent* of a prime coat. It can matter per the finish you're applying. Are you shooting a solid, low-pigment translucent, candy, or metallic finish?

Bob the builder and Year Zero like this.
  7. Ray Stankewitz

Ray Stankewitz Jammin' in my Music Room Platinum Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    Just a comment; you can use the Crystalac Brite Tone clear as a wipe on finish and the sealer can be wiped on, too. They make an ambering tint for the clears and there are a number of tinting colors they make that will add come color to the finish.

Highline Guitars has a number of videos on YooToob using the Crystalac products.

Year Zero likes this.
  8. Year Zero

Year Zero Squier-Meister

Oct 27, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    It's gonna be a solid.

This is what I'll be using...I think...lol
    Zinsser water based shellac ,
    Zinsser solvent/oil based odorless primer,
    MTN Water Based 300 Spray Paint - NEW Dioxazine Purple Dark.
    Rust-Oleum Water-Based Spray, 200081, Gloss Finish

I've read some online who say.....must user a sealer. Well poplar doesn't need a sealer.
    Others say shellac is good cause it creates a bond.
    Primer? yes/no take your choice based on what people say.

I do know I've never used a primer before and my finishes turn to crap. I saw some vids...shellac, the primer and then paint and they looked great. So I'm gonna try this combo this time.

The only one I may have trouble with is the primer. Only water based I have seen is paint and primer mixed in a gal can.

9. Year Zero

Year Zero Squier-Meister

Oct 27, 2020
    Pennsylvania
    More research indicates to go water based for everything I'll have to get a quart of Kilz 2 primer in a can and brush it on then sand it smooth.

Kinnon09 likes this.
  10. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-Nut Gold Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    My Mrs is elergic to everything not joking the list is long. And chest problems. It's the gas in the spray that gets her not the paint. Even deodorant she chokes on from miles away.

Year Zero likes this.
  11. Ray Stankewitz

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    One reason to use a sealer is to prevent the wood from soaking up the primer like a drunkard on a pub crawl. One thin coat of sealer, gently sand back, one more coat of sealer, then carefully scuff for your primer. this prevents having to put jillions of coats of primer to get a solid surface to apply topcoat. Water-based formulas and wood are a difficult marriage. You really do need that sealer to get things to work smoothly. Just speaking from experience.

Kinnon09 likes this.
  12. Kinnon09

Kinnon09 Squier-Nut Gold Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2021
    Scotland
    You know @Ray Stankewitz I have seen some of your projects look good:)you have done the trial and error.

13. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Squier-Nut

Feb 25, 2017
    Rhode Island USA
    & tint it. It'll give your finish coat more "body" than a white primer

14. Ray Stankewitz

Oct 11, 2014
    Central Indiana
    Luthiers Mechantile Inc and Highline Guitars have YooToob demos of the Crystalac products. It was their demos that got me interested in the products which so far, work beyond my expectations. I was having some trouble with spraying the clear coat so I grabbed some of their retarder/viscosity reducer and a Paasche gravity feed touch up gun. As soon as I have one big "honey-do" item cleared, I'm going to try out the gun to see if it helps with the layout.

As an aside, I suspect the water based offerings by StewMac are formulated by Crystalac/Becker Labs.

Kinnon09 likes this.