Anybody else using one of these tools?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Michael7, May 17, 2017.

1. Michael7

Michael7 Squier-holic

Old Sears hand operated speed drill and screwdriver. Great for the guitar repair situations where it is too much bother to bring the battery drill in from the garage, but faster than a manual drill or screwdriver. Note the interchangeable blades have a notched flat at the drive end so they don't spin. I need to get a few more sizes of screwdriver bits, but have not looked for them online yet. They store inside the handle.

Note the pine board. It is about 12" wide and I got about 40 feet from taking apart a shelving unit in my rental house. Just got to learn how to do finger joints and a couple of new speaker cabs will be in the pipeline. Maybe a 10" for my Champ clone.

IMG_20170517_134427900_HDR.jpg

2. Ahnlaashock

Ahnlaashock Squier-holic

Sep 21, 2014
    St. Louis Area
    Yes. I use it with the single flute drill bit that is just deep enough for good pickguard screw holes. When it reaches the end of the flute, it almost stops cutting at just the right depth.
    I think I see the flute is longer on the bits you have.

Kenneth Mountain and Rollmeaway like this.
  3. radiotech

radiotech Squier-holic

Apr 23, 2014
    Chicago
    I have a few from my Dad, it was originally patented as a Yankee screwdriver. They are nice units, but have to be cleaned and oiled... as when gobbed up with sawdust, they will jam, and skid out of the screw hole, and right across your project.
    Ironically, the namebrand is now manufactured in Germany.

4. so1om

so1om Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Chicago
    My dad has a few, he'll prolly let me have them.

Thanks for sharing the tech-tip!!

5. Dan Martian

Dan Martian Squier-Nut

Oct 18, 2014
    San Marcos, Texas
    I've got one that I use every once in a while. If I had more of those bits, I know I'd use it a whole lot more. I also want to get my hands on a crankable version, you know like the old-fashioned egg beaters.

6. Smith357

Smith357 Squier Talker

Apr 30, 2017
    ohio
    I have not used my push drill in ages, I think it's buried uot in one of my tool boxes. I find them it to be a dandy little drill, but a rather poor screwdriver. Mine is very old dating from around WWI, before Phillips heads screws became the norm in wood work, and a flat bit is darn near impossible to keep it in the slot.

7. Davis Sharp

Davis Sharp Squier-holic

Jan 7, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I don't really need one. So I'll probably order one on-line tonight.

8. Rollmeaway

Rollmeaway Squier-Meister

Feb 7, 2016
    Fayetteville, NC
    Yea, my old man had one of those. I used it once or twice, more out of curiosity than any thing else. I don't know what happened to it, especially since I inherited all of his tools when he passed away. I don't think I'd use one working on my guitars tho...

Kenneth Mountain likes this.
  9. 5ofeight

5ofeight Squier-Meister

Nov 14, 2016
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ratchet screwdrivers they were called in these parts, Im sure there are still some of my old dads ratchet screwdrivers in the tool boxes.

10. Hotrodleroy

Hotrodleroy Squier-holic

Dec 7, 2011
    U.S.A.
    Have two with the handles full of the original drill bits. Great for cabinet work.

11. calihick

calihick Squier-Meister

Mar 12, 2015
    west coast
    I have been keeping my eye out for one at barn sales around my place to go with my brace and bits.;)

12. Brever

Brever Squier-holic

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    Yes, I've had one for decades. Very useful indeed!

13. Kenneth Mountain

Kenneth Mountain Squier-holic

Jan 27, 2016
    North Tonawanda, NY
    me neither - order 2 and sell me one !

Brever, Davis Sharp and radiotech like this.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Squier-Nut

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I used these in wood shop in junior high school back in 1983.

15. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Squier-holic

Dec 18, 2009
    Fort Morgan, CO
    My grandpa had something like that. I used to mess around with it when I was a kid. I think my cousin ended up with it when grandpa passed and she and her husband moved into the house.