Any VoxAC10 owners?

Discussion in 'Squier Stratocasters' started by Ricky3Fingerd, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    Title says it all
    I am picking mine up today at 2pm and am just hella excited. I an curious to see if any of my ST fellas are using this amp.

2. Mfranzdorf

Mfranzdorf Squier-Meister

Feb 2, 2016
    NW Ohio
    I think you’ll enjoy it. I got a good deal on mine through a private sale. I’ve never had a VOX amp before, so I don’t know how it compares to others. Mine seems to take some fiddling with the knobs to dial in a sound I like when switching guitars, but when you find it, she really sounds sweet.

Ricky3Fingerd and drewcp like this.
  3. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Dr. Squier

Nov 24, 2018
    RC addiction....
    Never had one but always wanted one. I hope it turns out to be a incredible amp for you....

Ricky3Fingerd and drewcp like this.
  4. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Squier-Nut

I think I've had mine since they were introduced. The sound and tonal variabilty were what I expected, I've had a few Vox's, but the price was a happy surprise. I traded my Fender BJ for this simply because this amp offers so many more usable tones. Don't be afraid to play with the tone knobs and particularly with the gain settings.

Mfranzdorf, Ricky3Fingerd and drewcp like this.
  5. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    Tnx. Ya that's what I have heard is not to be afraid of some extreme settings like boost Mids by basically zeroing bass and treble. They are quite effective knobs from all accounts. I wish I got a smoking deal. I will admit I bought it new from the only shop in town for 650 CAD. Like 480 USD I bet

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    drewcp likes this.
  6. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    Hey did yours have some tube buzz on low e mine does with the stock tubes. Its probably all it is cheap.glass. my little bugera v did as well till I put in the mesa boogie el84. Those small units just have the tubes so close. I'm hoping that's all it is. I took the expensive glass out of the bugera before I sold it so I do have the good tubes to swap out. Just bummed about having to pull the back off the brand new 730 dollar amp

7. DougMen

DougMen Squier-holic

Jun 8, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    The lowest priced entry into true tube powered Vox AC tone, although the MV50AC gets there too, but with the Nutube and SS power, and in a package so small it'll fit in your pocket. I didn't buy one, 'cause, like the Blues Jr., it doesn't sound any better than my Katana Minis, Mustang LT25, or THR10Cs at the low volume levels that I play at. And, Vox really annoys me for making the tubes un-accessable without taking the amp apart. How dumb is that? Of course, the AC15 and 30 are the same way, DUH! Like Randy, owner and lead designer at MB says, you wouldn't call an electrician just to change a light bulb would you? But, his latest amps are getting harder to get to the tubes also.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    kenneth and Ricky3Fingerd like this.
  8. Big tuna

Big tuna Dr. Squier

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    One of the best amps i have and let my son have it. You will love it.

Ricky3Fingerd likes this.
  9. Fergyuk

Fergyuk Squier Talker

Dec 3, 2019
    England
    Congratulations! Love my ac10, bought it after watching this video.

10. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    Ya its amazing. The little bugera V was awesome too but this is nuts. Ya stupid layout inside though. And tunes are a pain to get to but damn. Its sonically wicked

11. Squierplayer1

Squierplayer1 Squier-Meister

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    I was considering one a few weeks back. Spent about 30 min with one at GC. I love the vox sound and i liked it but it just didn't quite make me wanna pull out my wallet. The AC15 just sounded a bit better to me and had enough volume for live work as a bonus. I think it's a good amp but just not for me. I may one day grab the 15 but i think the biggest issue for me was that neither of them had that one great sound that was so good i;d give up the uncountable advantages of my modeler so i passed. I was hoping that one sound would just sound and feel so much better that i'd find it worth having just for one killer tone. But i just didn't quite feel it. Nice amps the both of them, just didn't get that gotta have it feeling. If i DID get one tho i'd get the limited edition thats out right now with the 2 tone tolex. Sweet looking amp.

12. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    Really? I actually found the 15 to be kinda empty sounding compared to this little guy. What modelling amp have you.got? Katana? I think the difference between the and modelling is night and day. More fun to build a board than just download/turn knobs too. The karana did not speak to me at all. Although I know it gets allot of love. I tried it and mustang 3 etc. No comparison to even the little 5 watt bugera valve amp imho. Ya that one is even cooler the two tone but I wasn't waiting for a month plus for it to ship.

13. Squierplayer1

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    The thing about modelers is they are only as good as u r at tweaking. It takes forever to get to know them thoroughly because there are so many settings that each one makes them exponentially deeper in ability to tweak. If you tried this or that and didn't own t for a long time, you only scratched the surface regardless of how close to it;s potential you think you got. I hae a mustang GT and had a katana artist too. The GT wipes the floor with the katana unlike what u r saying, but i delved deep into each, a year with the kat and 3 with the GT. A lot of people think the GT is crap but having gigged more tube amps than i can count since the 70s i'm here to tell you the GT is far far more capable than most people who own or tried one know. Now if you are a clean player then no. But i use amp distortion and get my cleans by rolling the guitar volume back and it does that quite well with the right model and settings. The speaker is part of the issue tho, and i changed that. It's really harsh at anything over home volume. But with a proper speaker and well made patches the sound and feel and touch response rivals some damn good tube amps i've had.

In any case, i get a lot more variety out of the modeler and some types of sound it does better then the vox. If i were a clean only player or a clean amp and pedals guy i'd do a 180 on my opinion. But for good master volume amp drive that cleans up well the GT does a great job. I've had tube amps that do that better but at what cost? 3 times as much and 1/1000 of the GTs features and sounds and 3 times the weight? I hate talking about the GT because it's rep is so bad online, (with good reason but there are caveats) but note that the final update improved the amp greatly both feature wise and new models with far better tone. And theres a new update coming that will make it the same amp as the new GTX, which by the way i have on preorder.

Anyways, i debated answering you because it's impossible to tell someone the opposite of what they already believe and without them experiencing why you have. I had a guy sit in one time last summer who raved about my amp all nite, literally. Really good player too. Trust me, it aint my ears, it CAN be damn good if you spent the time to learn everything about every setting and how they interact. Way too much for most people t ave patience for but i do. It;s the curse with modelers. I truly believe you cannot get anything close to thier potential without a lot of time spent. Lastly, not, u aren't going to get what the vox has out of it. But IMO you can get other different tones that are equally good in thier own way and i just could not get out of the voxs what i felt was so good i had to have it either in place of or along with the GT. And again, if i were a clean player i'd probably have sold the GT long ago and gladly have the vox instead. The GT does those cleans you get with a overdiven amp and rolling the guitar volume down quite well. But amp clean tone itself....naaaa. The GT or katana fail miserably IMO. The katana especially.

14. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    I believe you. I bet there are some great tones to find in there. But like you said incomparable to the organic sound of clean tube tone.

15. Squierplayer1

Feb 10, 2019
    so cal
    Well, yes, but i was only talking clean. As overdrive goes i liked the voxs but i can get some driven tones i prefer from the GT, not to mention many different ones. In fact i spent one day a 2 GCs playing a number of tube amps thinking that after playing modelers for about 6-7 years now i might be missing tubes. Left not feeling that at all except as clan amp tones go. But as i said, i don't use amps set clean, and i prefer the clean i get from a overdriven amp with my guitar rolled back. And in that regard it sounds great. If i wanted a totally clean amp tone, THATS when i would much prefer tubes. But not as much for the sound as the feel. Modelers can have great feel on overdriven settings but o my ear the clean amp tones don't feel great aside from the way i get them as i described earlier.

16. Ricky3Fingerd

Ricky3Fingerd Squier-Nut

Nov 26, 2019
    Canda
    This amp is unreal. Blows the mustang's away. Sorry. This amp sounds spectacular. There is no substitute for tubes.