Any bass players gone fretless here?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by Big tuna, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Big tuna

Big tuna Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I am thinking of trying a fretless bass and plan on getting a Glarry fretted Jazz and pull the frets and fill with lighter wood strips. Would you spray poly on the fretboard or leave it unfinished? Any thoughts or tips welcomed.

2. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    I haven’t done that, but it seems like a lot of work for something you might not play much once you have it.

I played Bass Viol in HS (not well, electric bass was my instrument, and orchestra has no Viol players... so I was recruited). I’ve had a couple Fretless Basses: SX, Aria Pro II (sold both), and currently a Squier VM Jazz.

It’s rarely the first instrument I pick up, but when you’re looking for that sound... nothing else will do.

Did you know you can get a Fretless FROM Glarry for $99 shipped?
    https://www.glarrymusic.com/glarry-...enced-bass-players-burlywood-sunset-p156.html

Big tuna likes this.
  3. Big tuna

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I saw the fretless but i want the strips in for a cheat guide. I played fiddle for a couple years in the 90's and figured out the fingers will learn the spot after a while. I just want to play around with it anyway.

radiotech likes this.
  4. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    heh... some decals would be easier, and cheaper!

On the finish of the fretboard... If you’re using flatwound, or nylon taped, doesn’t matter... if you want roundwounds, I’d poly (or epoxy) coat it.

Big tuna likes this.
  5. Jay Jackson

Jay Jackson Squier-Nut

Sep 1, 2018
    sanluisobispo CA (3401
    I have played stand up double bass you can feel the strings vibrate under your fingers. I have also played fretless fender jazz bass the string vibration isnt as noticeable. Ebony works best for fretless.

Big tuna likes this.
  6. Number 6

Number 6 Squier Talker

Nov 15, 2020
    Great White North
    I played bass for years before getting serious about it, and then, although nowhere near a virtuoso, felt an urge to try fretless.
    It had previously scared me, but I tried one, and liked it--so after some research (i.e. going to music stores) and saving up I finally took the plunge.

Unless you have no other option, or you are good at guitar work--I'd try to find an actual fretless bass, but if you want to rip the frets out--go for it.

I use round wounds & haven't coated my board--and it's good.

But coating it isn't a bad idea--especially if you've defretted it.

Big tuna likes this.
  7. Big tuna

May 6, 2014
    east Tn
    I have been repairing and destroying guitars for many years lol. Wood working has been a life long side hobby, during this past year i have revived my interest in modding guitars instead of just buying them to have something to do. I could have bought the fretless version of this guitar but the fretted was ten dollars less and I just wanted a project to do. I will see how it unfurls. Thanks for the comment.

Number 6 likes this.
  8. drewcp

drewcp Squier-holic

Dec 14, 2018
    Saint Paul, MN
    I would rather add markers to an otherwise fine fretless fingerboard. I would be too worried about chipping and damaging the would during the fret extraction process.

Big tuna and radiotech like this.
  9. 66jbass

66jbass Squier Talker

Apr 18, 2012
    Chicago
    Did this to a First Act bass a while back (rosewood board). I decided to not coat the fretboard (going for more of a sorta upright sound, not a ‘Jaco mwah’). Maple veneer in the fret slots worked nicely, a little cleaning out with a coping saw blade and then in with wood glue. Trimmed down with a sharp exacto blade & then sanded smooth...there was some tear out along the edges of the fret wire which was the most time consuming fix (filled in with dust from the fretboard sanding then a drop of super glue, then more sanding). I’ve used flatwound and pressurewound strings and haven’t put any visible wear on it.

Big tuna and drewcp like this.
  10. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Squier-holic

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    I play fretless bass 90% of the time, I just enjoy it more than fretted.

The conversion is easy, you don’t have to spray the board afterwards (I use lacquer).

I would buy a radius sanding block to make sure the board is even.

Big tuna likes this.
  11. techowiz

techowiz Squier-holic

Aug 21, 2014
    new york
    Just starting out (recently bought my 1st bass). Having enough trouble with the frets! :)

Big tuna likes this.
  12. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

If the project is half the fun, go for it. I would not do anything to the fretboard unless you're going really hard. I had some luck with marine varnish years ago. The Squier VM fretless is another option. I'm not in love with mine but I'm in the minority there.

Big tuna likes this.
  13. AngelDeVille

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    The pink and the headless are conversions.

[​IMG]
    L
    eft is a bubinga board with maple slots.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 6:34 PM
    Number 6, Big tuna and SoundDesign like this.
  14. SoundDesign

SoundDesign Squier-holic

Tell me about your Eagle... I have a '78 (fretted).

Big tuna and AngelDeVille like this.
  15. AngelDeVille

Jan 29, 2017
    ABQ
    the koa is a 1980, the white one is a 1985, and was built for Don Lace...

and some other fretless stuff.. 18D34C97-0139-486F-8AE6-442C516A47BF.jpeg 5532390B-4744-45E4-B3B4-A3ED43B1FFD8.jpeg 9CD84B0F-C8CC-47DE-9F28-235E909B81B8.jpeg 922ED089-7FB7-4B82-BA83-21448A1274FB.jpeg 7A14BAF7-F432-40CF-A3F5-92B355C13532.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020 at 9:00 PM
    Number 6, SoundDesign and Big tuna like this.
  16. Big tuna

May 6, 2014
    east Tn