Another SDOTD Martin

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by ToneChaser77, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Btw, folks, I hope you are all members of the MF Back Stage Pass program. Because you will be getting another 8 percent back in credit on future orders, or in this case nearly $29.

mb doug, Treynor, Davis Sharp and 2 others like this.
  2. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    How do we apply? It keeps asking me to sign in. :(

mb doug and Treynor like this.
  3. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    That boominess (and the size) are what I don’t care for. I have 16 acoustics, three are dreads (one is a twelve string). Other than the twelve string they are rarely played.

mb doug and Treynor like this.
  4. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana

Just join it on the web site. There is a link in the menu. Might even be up by the header.

mb doug, Ralph124C41 and Treynor like this.
  5. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    I ordered the OOO version last week. It should be here tomorrow. I will post when it arrives as well.

6. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    Plenty of room on the Martin bus!

Treynor and mb doug like this.
  7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    You MIGHT be able to call and talk to somebody in customer service to see if you can get accepted retroactively ... and have that put on your purchase. Hey, it's a free call. And hey, it's another $29 for your great Explorer vision quest.

Treynor, Caddy and mb doug like this.
  8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Squier-Nut

Mar 9, 2020
    Greybull, WY
    @Eddie, glad you ordered one of these.
    The other SDOTD Martin will be here tomorrow.
    I of course ordered one of these also. Can't beat these prices.
    Granddaughter will have her choice of the two.
    Congrats to all who ordered these.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Treynor, Eddie and johnnywizzo like this.
  9. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Please give us pics and a review when you get it. Plus pics. And more pics, just to be certain.

Treynor and Eddie like this.
  10. wickedtools

wickedtools Dr. Squier Gold Supporting Member

May 16, 2010
    west texas
    Nothing like a Martin congrats y’all!:)
    3E3751FA-68CE-4142-B0E8-D36436619346.jpeg

johnnywizzo, Eddie and Treynor like this.
  11. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    This is true: I was just now getting ready to write that maybe this will be cancelled and we will all get that dreaded email. I ordered it this morning and hadn't heard back and generally MF tries to get it shipped out that day.

But I just checked my email ... and it's on its way, although it hasn't yet reached the UPS facility. The estimate is Friday but if it comes a little late that means I won't get it until Monday.

12. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Mine's scheduled for Thursday. Gonna have to let it acclimate for a day. Then I'll pop it out on Friday. Hollah !!!

13. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    Mine has now also been rescheduled for Thursday. But I've always wonder how UPS, etc, can give estimate when the item is not actually in the hands of UPS. Oh, well. Yes I will acclimate it myself for as much as 30 seconds. It will be a long time but I'm willing to wait that long for my first Martin.

Actually I'm joking of course. I went over to an acoustic forum (they have cookies!) and read some posts. I've found that Martin seems to suggest a 24-hour acclimation process but other members, including one who owns a prominent West Coast guitar store, says it is OK to just open it up because guitars are not that fragile. However most people suggest waiting four hours to overnight to a full 24 hours.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  14. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    If it wasn't for the solid spruce top, I'd say have at it!

drewcp and Eddie like this.
  15. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    It’s mostly HPL, you don’t have to wait that long... :D

Eddie likes this.
  16. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    It does have the solid top, which I think is the area on a guitar that is most prone to cracking. My Alvarez has a solid top and laminated back and sides ... and the top cracked due to low humidity.

Also one overall problem is that a guitar may show finish cracks due to abrupt changes in temperature in its storage areas, although the construction would still be unaffected.

Caddy and Eddie like this.
  17. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    The reason I have my DX is because of its durability.

Since the HPL pieces attached to the top are less likely to shrink/expand do to temp changes, the top is more stable than a conventional Martin. The top isn’t bound, and the edges of the top are extended out a bit more over the sides because of it.

A 24 hour wait isn’t needed unless it was on the porch at sub-zero temps for hours.

I have taken mine out in all kinds of weather. A half-hour at the gig, in the bag (pun intended), with the zipper open a couple inches has been a fine amount of acclimation.

This is designed to be a roughhoused gigging instrument.

drewcp likes this.
  18. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I don't mind letting it sit overnight. I'd rather err towards caution.

I also ordered a humidity gauge. I need to take care of my growing acoustic collection.

johnnywizzo, radiotech and drewcp like this.
  19. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016
    I have one and I use cheap soundhole humidifers in all of my acoustics. (Note to self: time to check them today.) I also house them in a case because gig bags are too porous.

drewcp, Eddie and Caddy like this.
  20. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Hardshell cases for all 16 of my acoustics. Gig bags may be fine (?) for electrics, but so much for acoustics.

drewcp and Eddie like this.