Another SDOTD Martin

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by ToneChaser77, Feb 22, 2021.

1. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
  2. Eddie

Eddie Squirt Startocaster Infinity Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    The GAS is flaring up.

Anyone have any thoughts on this guy? Seems like a really good deal. Cheaper than used.

3. rocknrguitars

rocknrguitars Squier-Meister Platinum Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2017
    East Helena Montana
    These are excellent.

4. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

The temptation is high. It'll put my Explorer quest back to the beginning ... though this may be one of the few chances I'll ever have of owning a Martin.

I gotta put some thought into this. Hoping this won't end early like that last one. Argh !!!

5. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Trigger has been pulled. Martin is mine !!!

6. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    Explorer will have to wait a bit longer.

7. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016

If it does end, check to see if it still shows in inventory. As I said, that happened with the similar Martin guitar a few days ago and I called to check and the agent said she would give me the same price because there were a few left. However, maybe her results were not outdated and all I would have gotten would be an email saying "No guitar for you!"

mb doug, drewcp and Eddie like this.
  8. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I just snagged one. Too good of a deal to pass up a second time. :)

I had $1.70 in points that I applied. Discount !!!

9. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    Way to go, Eddie! I just got on the same bus.

mb doug, Treynor and Eddie like this.
  10. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Awesome.

Too good a deal to pass up. Make sure to post when you receive. :)

mb doug and johnnywizzo like this.
  11. radiotech

radiotech Dr. Squier

Apr 23, 2014
    Freedonia
    They are excellent (IMO)

mb doug, johnnywizzo and dbrian66 like this.
  12. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic Platinum Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    I have one of the Martin X-Series I bought several years ago. I LOVE mine! I played it next to some of the USA made Martin's and it held its own very well. That is a crazy good deal!

13. Treynor

Treynor Squier-holic Platinum Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
  14. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    Welcome to the Martin club! I don't know why I bought this one, most likely an impulse buy or perhaps a bad bout of GAS or fear of missing out. I already own several other Martins, my first one was a 1972 D-28 which I purchased new after going without regular meals for awhile. They are my favorite guitars and I wanted to try one with electronics, as none of my others have that. Like you said, "too good a deal to pass up"!

mb doug, Treynor, Eddie and 1 other person like this.
  15. Caddy

Caddy Dr. Squier

Nov 29, 2010
    Indiana
    Would have rather had the smaller bodied one. Not a fan of dreads at all. Should jumped on yesterday’s.

mb doug, Treynor and Davis Sharp like this.
  16. duceditor

duceditor Squier-Axpert Gold Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    The Monadnocks, NH USA
    That's a good deal indeed!

Some traditional Martin fans automatically find fault with these guitars because of man-made materials they are used in their design and construction, but owners speak very highly of them, and to me, although I've never played one, that makes sense.

Fact is that the things that most matter on a guitar of this type, apart from the care that was put into its construction, is the face material and how it is braced.

Martin knows this and so when they went about making a less expensive guitar they saved the money where it had little affect on the sound or playing experience, and put what was left into what mattered most: That solid spruce top and the bracing that allows it to sing freely with that special balance of top-end sweetness and bottom-end 'spank' that makes a Martin dreadnaught something special.

I've read that some owners have sanded and refinished that top in a more traditional way -- not for the looks, but to further get "the sound" that they expected and came to know on more traditionally built Martins.

I look forward to hearing the thoughts of any and all who snap these up! So excited for you!!! :)

-don

mb doug and Treynor like this.
  17. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York

Yes, I think this is a no lose proposition. If we don't like it, we can return it.

If we get bored of it down the line, we can sell it for what we paid.

Win-win for us.

:)

18. johnnywizzo

johnnywizzo Squier-Nut

Feb 4, 2016
    I also missed out the other day, which is what fueled the fire today. I'm really a Dreadnought fan. I have an "0" sized guitar and an OM, they both are nice but I really like Dreadnoughts. Good thing that everyone doesn't like the same thing, it would be a boring world.

mb doug, Treynor, Caddy and 1 other person like this.
  19. Eddie

Nov 5, 2016
    New York
    I'm a dreadnought fan also ... mainly because the name sounds so cool. :) Reminds me of the WWI battleships.

But I do like the bigger bodies of the dreads. Nice boom to them.

mb doug, Treynor and johnnywizzo like this.
  20. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Squier-holic

Feb 10, 2016

that's my thoughts too so like another member here, I hope that bus is large enough for me because I just punched my ticket.

This will be my first Martin ever. EVER ... and you folks know I'm a retiree so the math is not kind to me. Last year, I think, MF had this guitar also as SDOTD and I passed on it and I've kicking myself ever since. And as Eddie said I can send it back and lose some because of that buyer's remorse deal or just sell it. For example that guitar was a SDOTD a few days ago for $359.99 was at my local Guitar Center for I think $439.99.

And I have a buddy who is a luthier who will do a quick (and free) look at it to let me know of any problem. And he can do a setup for not much money; in fact he will only do what is needed. (One time I took a guitar to him and he said he didn't feel right charging me for a full setup because it was fine as it was. He only suggested that I let him change the strings on it.)

mb doug, johnnywizzo, Treynor and 2 others like this.