Another project begins.

Discussion in 'Squier Telecasters' started by speelyei, Nov 14, 2020.

1. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ
    Got a tele style guitar from Vinbur!
    Definitely a WD Music Products neck. Body and hardware are unmarked. Looks like somebody did a Pete Townshend at some point... :)
    Not sure what the end product is going to be? I’m sure inspiration will strike.
    CB096E1E-8594-4CF8-B268-08B4C0CEAED8.jpeg

2. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ
  3. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ
    I’ve only got a 12.5” planer, so I ran the body through the tablesaw to rip it narrow enough. That also removed the bruise on the top edge of the body.
    Ran it through the planer, because I wasn’t about to do the heat gun/sander marathon.
    Then I cut a little block of poplar to glue and clamp to repair where I ripped it. A20DCF6D-8F50-4795-9D17-105D70C60F44.jpeg

4. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ
    I’m almost thinking about running a 3/8” round-over bit to create a shoulder around most of the body, and just leave the old paint on the sides.

Angry Possum and dbrian66 like this.
  5. dbrian66

dbrian66 Dr. Squier

Jul 14, 2017
    Maryland, USA
    That’s going to look cool! I like the idea of leaving the black on the sides!

Angry Possum and speelyei like this.
  6. Angry Possum

Angry Possum A Psychotic 6 String Collector Gold Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Squier Town NY
    Me too...keep the sides black.

dbrian66 and speelyei like this.
  7. Block Head Ike

Block Head Ike Squier-holic

Country & Western guys and gals like to put a fancy little guard right where yours has that boo-boo. It would cover nicely:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

speelyei likes this.
  8. Block Head Ike

Here is a really fancy version. I guess this was originally a thing that Bigsby guitars had...wish I knew what exactly it was called...

[​IMG]

speelyei likes this.
  9. Block Head Ike

I guess "arm rest" is the correct term. Check out Jack white's tele:

upload_2020-11-14_20-32-46.jpeg

upload_2020-11-14_20-33-9.jpeg

speelyei and Treehouse like this.
  10. corn

corn Squier-holic

Feb 27, 2013
    San Diego
    I have no clue what you’re doing but I like it

speelyei likes this.
  11. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ
    Ha! I got this guitar, and Vinbur warned me it was a little rough. It looks as though it was dropped, or maybe someone swung it hard and broke the neck. On the top side of the body where your arm would rest, the finish was shattered and the wood had broken. As you can see from the pics, someone had removed the pickguard and scratched their name and designs into the black finish.
    Well, I wanted to get rid of all of that, but to strip the finish with a heat gun and putty knife is laborious, and often turns out pretty poor. The wood fibers sometimes tear out and you are left with a lot of sanding.
    I happen to have a 12.5” stationary planer. The guitar body was 13” wide at it’s widest point... which just happened to be where the most damage was. I set the rip fence on the table saw for 12 1/8th, and sawed the body so that it was narrow enough to go through the planer. That also created a nice flat surface for me to glue and clamp a piece of Poplar that I could cut to shape and sand to match, retaining the original curvature of the body.
    It still wasn’t perfect... my planer blades are dull, and even though I only took off .001” per pass, I still got some tear-out and it broke a chunk off the edge of the bridge pickup cavity. I also should have ripped it down to 12” or 11 7/8”, because I have a gap between my repair and the original body on the face of the instrument.
    Debating re-doing that.
    Anyway, trimmed my repair block to match the body contour, then routed a 3/8” round over on both sides. Telecasters are usually pretty hard cornered, maybe a 1/8” or 1/4” round over, but it does smooth out the look with the larger radius, hiding imperfections and creating a sharp line where I left the original finish like a reverse banding.
    Without a spindle sander or stationary belt sander, it would be tough to get the sides clean. I think leaving it looks kind of cool and different, and I’m debating leaving a few of the old injuries and repairs visible. I really like finishes like Watco Danish Oil, or just Boiled Linseed with some mineral spirits and Japan Drier. I’m thinking that’s what I’m going to do with this. I dunno, we’ll see. 599712B1-0B3C-450A-9855-2C421552463A.jpeg C9E2887C-E709-4321-832A-1744D2343D51.jpeg 9ACF3C01-2360-4E10-8822-276A5654D6AA.jpeg

12. daan

daan Squier-holic

Oct 21, 2013
    Twin Cities
    God why didn’t I think to just plane the top and back off the guitars I refinished? That’s a genius move!

speelyei likes this.
  13. Block Head Ike

Wow! Clever thinking to cut of the repair so you could feed the body through your planer! I am no fan of the "heat and scrape" finish removal method, so I can appreciate that, even with the minor dings, you have put yourself well ahead of the game by using the planer, and nice job with the body edge repair!

speelyei likes this.
  14. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ
    Back home, and got a little time for this project. 3ACCA9D1-D71D-4121-B3ED-5D679F34FD7B.jpeg
    When I received this guitar, something about the bridge and strings looked a little off. Re-mounted the neck and got a center line. Notice the issue? No big deal. Plug the holes, reposition the bridge.
    I’m thinking this is a good candidate for a couple P90s...

15. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    This one is taking a very cool path of its own. Very cool approach you took getting it to this point and the wood grain really looks nice. Great ideas you've got for this one so far. Can't wait to see the finished beast!

speelyei likes this.
  16. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ
    CEF50C25-0D73-4E91-888C-F46D493122A8.jpeg 8C60EA87-05A3-4112-A86D-2C29F1430E07.jpeg
    Think I’m going P90 on the neck, but keeping the bridge pickup traditional.

Rat cam 68 and cool gouhl like this.
  17. wonkenstein

wonkenstein Squier-holic

Feb 3, 2017
    NH
    P90 in the neck with a Tele bridge is typically a really good match, too. The P90 will also sound just a tad punchier in the Tele. Lookin' good so far!

speelyei likes this.
  18. speelyei

speelyei Squier-Meister

Sep 22, 2020
    Mesa, AZ