ANOTHER New Song?!?

Discussion in 'V.C.'s Parlor' started by SquierTap, Nov 18, 2020.

1. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Yep... I JUST got a WiFi hotspot and it no longer takes SEVERAL DAYS to upload a 3 minute video to YouTube... So, I'm takin advantage of the situation... I JUST uploaded a new demo of one of songs called "Happy"... Actually, it's (There's Worse Things Than Bein') "Happy"... Rolls right off the tongue, huh, lol?

Anyway, this is my good ol' "Number One" '97 M.I.M. Squier Strat... She's got a set of GFS overwound single coils that sound GREAT, and REALLY "Stratty"... A Wilkinson tremelo and full sized bridge, full size CTS pots, orange drop cap, and a set of Wilkinson vintage sized (and style) "6 On A Strip" split-shaft tuners... Ran it into "The Mighty Mono" (15 watt Stage Right Monoprice tube amp) and my Boss Katana 100 combo... And the bass is my trusty 20th anniversary Squier P-Bass ran into the Katana on the "BR Tweed" (vintage Bassman 4X10) model from "SneakyAmps"...

So, what do y'all think about THIS one?

2. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I hope I'm not wearin y'all out, lol... But the one I posted a couple days ago got a really positive reaction, so I figured it wouldn't hurt, lol...

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Squier

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I think you have a great idea, a great song is building here......but it's a lot more rough around the edges than the other one. The drums just don't 'groove' in a lot of spots, they sound kind of rigid.....I think if you sort out that one thing, it'll be a whole lot better......

That's the only 'bad' thing I can say.....

SquierTap likes this.
  4. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    That's AWESOME... That's EXACTLY the kind of reaction I was hopin for! That's somethin I can work on and improve... Thank YOU! And yeah, the drums were a challenge... I usually program 'em ALL from the ground up, and gettin 'em to swing is tricky... It's not enough to JUST know where the MAIN kicks and snares go, lol...

5. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    But ya know what's be better than programmin the drums to swing?

Havin a REAL drummer with some funk and feel actually PLAY on the track, lol... I think that'd REALLY set it off... And I've ALWAYS heard organ on this in my head... But I can't decide which kind... I think that either a rock organ with a leslie, OR a Hammond B3 would sound AMAZING on this... It's one of my only songs that has potential to be funky...

fadetoz likes this.
  6. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Well there's a little Allman Brothers in that double stop bend thing you do there before the vocals kick in on each verse.....so a B3 with a bit of leslie would be awesome, but I have no clue how to get those sounds.....I am strictly a guitar player lol

ToneChaser77 and SquierTap like this.
  7. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    I MIGHT be able to actually play it... I play piano... But I'd love to have an organist that actually knows what they're doin play on it... As for the sounds, I recently found a plug in for organs that sounded great on the demo, but I usually don't have internet, so I THINK I downloaded it, but NEVER saw it again, lol... Those plug ins, especially the free ones have gotten REALLY good! I need to FINALLY get myself a midi controller, too... It takes HOURS and HOURS to go in and program EVERY, single, little note on the "piano roll" function... But if I had a midi keyboard controller, I could just PLAY it... I could even use it for drums... I used to tear up some Casio keyboard drums, lol... I don't guess little midi controllers cost THAT much anymore... I could probably get a nice one for a hundred bucks... But it'd help me IMMENSELY...

fadetoz likes this.
  8. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    And Allman Brothers was EXACTLY the vibe I was goin for, brother...

9. Hoss

Hoss Squier-holic

Dec 20, 2009
    McGill, Nevada
    It's damn good. You're very talented. I've enjoyed both of your posts/songs!

Treehouse and SquierTap like this.
  10. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Thank you, brother... That's awesome! My DREAM is for somebody, ANYBODY, to absently hum or sing one of my songs as they're vacuuming, or doin an oil change, lol... IF people are willin to give me a second of their time, I REALLY don't wanna waste it, lol... I've got, maybe, a little over 2 albums worth of songs that have a similar vibe... I've gotta get around to FINALLY recording 'em... I've got quite a few of my songs up on that YouTube channel... And believe it or not, I've got quite a few rap songs out under the name "ShoNuff"... I'm an honest-to-God "Soundcloud Rapper", lol...

fadetoz, ToneChaser77 and Hoss like this.
  11. Treehouse

Treehouse Squier-Nut

Dec 4, 2019
    The Arboritum
    Sounds great! Appreciate you sharing and keep them coming!

This one should be a ST sticky...

SquierTap and ToneChaser77 like this.
  12. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    Great work man. I really enjoy your stuff. I really like how you mix up styles. Similar vibes but each song different and borrowing from some other style. I love the Reggae feel on Waitin on the mono but then it gets this Tennessee rap thing going on that reminds me of Haystack. The whole thing makes me feel like kicking back with a fat tater and just enjoying the vibe. Great job.

SquierTap likes this.
  13. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Lol, good ol' "Waitin On The Mono"... I went back the other day and laughed at my own goofy @ss, lol... But hey, I'm being serious when I say that if somethin is REALLY buggin me, the way that I KNOW I can truly get over it, is to pour it into a song, catch that vibe and moment like a firefly in a jar, then when I release the song out into the world, I try to release ALL of those feelings, too... And I'm over it and I can move on...

fadetoz likes this.
  14. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Well, I probably kicked back with a fat tater myself SOMEWHERE along in the process, lol... I'm REALLY surprised that you know who Stak is... He was a BIG inspiration on me when I started... Here's a bigger guy, like me, but A LOT bigger, lol, who's from the SAME place as me, that's seen alotta the same stuff, and even some of the same people, and uses the same slang (again, he lived 20 miles away in Lebanon) but where he was ghetto/country, I'm more country/ghetto, lol... But I actually STOPPED rappin for awhile cause I'd release a "ShoNuff" song, and EVERYBODY that heard it thought it was a new Haystak song, lol... I can do a DAMNED close Stak impression, and he was a big inspiration, and there's a PIECE of that in what I do... But I was really into his stuff and I got to doin that TOO much... And I'll actually SHOW ya what I'm talkin about... A PERFECT example is my song "Tennessee Pride"... It was just TOO damned much like Haystak... I even mentioned him and did the "South SIIIIDE" thing in it;
    https://m.soundcloud.com/chriskey81/tennessee-pride

So, I had to step back and rethink my stuff, and when I do rap now, it HAS to be different than EVERYTHING...

PS... Don't tell anyone I'm a "SoundCloud Rapper", lol...

ToneChaser77 likes this.
  15. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    ToneChaser77 likes this.
  16. Guitarmageddon

Sep 27, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    never heard of it being called a 'FAT TATER' before this thread thanks @ToneChaser77 @SquierTap - I'm high tech, I vape distillate now lol is that called a 'hipster stoner'? lol

SquierTap and ToneChaser77 like this.
  17. Roccobagadonuts

Roccobagadonuts Dr. Squier

Sep 8, 2010
    Remulak
    Damn shame u lost that last fight once the guy obtained the golden glow... Whos the master Leroy... Beyond a midi controller for playin key lines u might wanna look into something like the Akai MPD218... Its pretty much a midi controller set up like an MPC with 16 MPC pads and etc... They sell for like 60 bucks used on Ebay so their cheap. They also come with software like Akai MPC Beats so u can get access to the MPC type thing for rather cheap...

SquierTap likes this.
  18. ToneChaser77

ToneChaser77 Squier-Nut

Sep 29, 2019
    Milledgeville, Ga
    Lol. @Guitarmageddon Thats southern slang. I picked it up from my uncle back in the 90s. Back before we knew what a blunt was. He would hand me a bag and say "Roll it up. And I dont want no little pinner either. Roll me a big ole tater." He also would call the good stuff "Pinetree" and would save the "dirt" for all the young "rudypoots". I guess some of that old slang stuck with me.

SquierTap and Guitarmageddon like this.
  19. fadetoz

fadetoz Squier-holic Gold Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Programming midi from scratch by hand is time consuming. I did it for awhile for drums. Then I got hydrogen and would do most of the drums in it then export the midi. That does things up. But I switched to EZDrummer 2 and that has made things easier. I have a keyboard that is my daughter's if I need to do any piano stuff. I was thinking I should start using it more.

You can find midi compatible keyboards cheap used but they always seem to need the power supply

SquierTap likes this.
  20. SquierTap

SquierTap Squier-holic

Jul 14, 2018
    Nashville, Tn
    Lol, I'm Southern as HELL, but I've never heard it refered to as a "fat tater" before today, myself, lol... I've EATEN a fat tater afterward, lol... I quit the cigarettes almost 2 years ago now, and when I indulge, I try to vape with a dry herb vape... And the bonus to that is AFTER you've vaped it, you can take what's left (people call it "ABV" already been vaped) and make "Firecrackers"... The heat from the dry vape partially decarboxylates it and it'll work as an edible at that point, so I put in on graham crackers with peanut butter on one side and nutella on the other... Ya need to have some kind of oil (like peanut butter or nutella) but it works great... And it's extremely financially viable because you can use it twice... But for me, it's TOO easy to overindulge with edibles and that's NO FUN... It's so much easier to reach over and grab my bong, lol...