Amp Mod Question

Discussion in 'Amp-a-ridifiers' started by howserx, Jan 3, 2020.

  1. howserx

    howserx Squier-Meister

    Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada
    So I have a tiny Vox 3 G2 mini amp. There are two problems with it...
    1) the volume put is cheap. Between 1 and zero it gets scratchy and very imprecise.
    2) Between 1 and zero it goes from Inaudible to loud. I spend more time with it trying to get it to a reasonable volume than playing with it.

    I've opened it up and I'm pretty sure I could replace the pot with something better. I haven't opened it up all the way yet to see what value it is.

    So. Question is, rather than replace the pot could I put another pot in-between the amp and the speaker? I'm thinking this isn't a good idea but I play at low volumes(read: apartment dweller) so I was wondering if I could get away with it? what would a good value be if I can do this?

    I was about to post and I thought of another question (while I'm asking) If I replace the pot, could I change the value of it to get more usable control over the volume? If it's say 100K, what would a greater or lower value do for me?

    thanks everyone.
  2. Triple Jim

    Triple Jim Squier-holic

    Definitely not. You could buy and connect an attenuator, but the cost would be silly for that amp. You could get an L-pad of suitable power dissipation capability and use that if you want to do some wiring.

    Again, definitely not. Depending on exactly what pot is in there, it's possible you *might* be able to change to a pot of the same resistance, but a more suitable taper.

    A simple replacement of the pot with the same value and type but better quality would at least get away from "scratchy" and probably away from the "inaudible to loud".
  3. rbh32

    rbh32 Squier-Meister

    Feb 12, 2018
    Valley, AL
    I don’t know if this applies to amps, but my tone pots do that if they’re B- Linear, so I’d check to see if it’s that and replace it with an A -Audio pot.
  4. howserx

    howserx Squier-Meister

    Apr 20, 2017
    Toronto, Canada

    When I started typing of the pot in front of the speaker I realized I was thinking of the Volume pedal in the effects loop hack. I figured it didn't hurt to ask anyways.

    I didn't even think of changing the taper type. I like that Idea. I'll have a better idea of what I'm going to do when I get home and have a more detailed look. Old eyes, I need my reading glasses which are at home...

    I guess my next question is can I find a local place that still sells parts... that I can figure out myself. :)

    Thanks for the ideas! I may be back...
  5. Triple Jim

    Triple Jim Squier-holic

    I gave up on that years ago. Places like Mouser, Newark, and Arrow fill that void. is good for finding the best prices, who has stock, etc..

    For parts that are commonly used in our guitars and amps, some of the music-specific sites can also be useful. Also eBay and Amazon.

    As you said, start by finding out exactly what's in there now.