Amp advice wanted

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2016
New York
I appreciate that. I'm not up on my tech lingo and such.

I had a similar experience with my first 2x12 combo amp at age 16 also. My friends raved about the Peavey Renown 400. It was the biggest POS I've ever had. It was back in the shop for warranty repairs 3 times within the first year ... and then back again out of warranty. It caused me so much trouble that I never touched another Peavey again. :(

DougMen

Dr. Squier
Jun 8, 2017
Honolulu, HI
I felt bad for her because someone called her ugly! Had to fire her up and give her some love tonight! 😂

I’m actually glad I did. It’s been a while since I have played this amp and we don’t always get along. Tonight was good. It sounded nice.

View attachment 235633
That LP looks just like the Electra ones with a maple board and black block inlays that I used to see in ads in Guitar player back in the day. I really liked all those Japanese off-brands, Electra, Aria Pro II, Westone, Westbury, etc. I think a lot of them were made by Matsumoku.

Last edited:

Lanaka

AKA GhostGuitars
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
I have a 1484. I'm not worried about the transformer. Suitable replacements are available. I'd rather enjoy it for what it is than baby it.
I agree, ONCE I have a replacement upgraded transformer on-hand, then I'll crank 'um. Until then I take it easy because getting replacement parts was hard until I found Mojotone. They have an all-new transformer specifically for the 1484 that's upgraded and can support the full 60W output. It's now a matter of saving the $ for the transformer.

Dr Improbable

Squier-holic
Apr 4, 2015
Wisconsin
LOL, there's always exceptions, but ye have to admit that most Crate amps are more function over form design, in what I typically call the Industrial style.

1978-mid80s Crate CR-1.
View attachment 235593

This one is Crate's very first amp, LOL! This article is an interesting read. When I said function over form, that's before I knew about this one, LOL!

Here's some other Crates...

Crate GX-15.
View attachment 235599

Crate GX-60D.
View attachment 235598

Crate XT-120R.
View attachment 235597

Crate GT-1200H
View attachment 235600
Didn't Leslie West work for Crate at that time?

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
The Fender Super Champ was mentioned. I have two of them, two XD. I also had a X2 for a while. They're 15 watters and plenty loud if need be. But they also shine at low volume. By far the most versatile amp I've ever played.

Several really nice tube amps went through my studio (Fenders, Marshalls, BlackHeart, Vox, etc) and the SC is always the one that stayed. Seriously, you'd ask me to only keep one, that'd be the one. I presently have a XD in the studio, a Monoprice 15W and an Egnater Rebel 30W. The SCXD gets the most play time. The second one I mentioned lives at the summer cottage. It's the only one I use for the summer months and I do not miss my other amps for that period.

The X2 is also great.

Well I was sold on the VC10 until...yes tubes...no spring reverb! LOL! Back to looking again...drats!

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
The Fender Super Champ was mentioned. I have two of them, two XD. I also had a X2 for a while. They're 15 watters and plenty loud if need be. But they also shine at low volume. By far the most versatile amp I've ever played.

Several really nice tube amps went through my studio (Fenders, Marshalls, BlackHeart, Vox, etc) and the SC is always the one that stayed. Seriously, you'd ask me to only keep one, that'd be the one. I presently have a XD in the studio, a Monoprice 15W and an Egnater Rebel 30W. The SCXD gets the most play time. The second one I mentioned lives at the summer cottage. It's the only one I use for the summer months and I do not miss my other amps for that period.

The X2 is also great.

Have to ask, is this amp going to burn up tubes often? I do not play loud and not playiing for more than an hour every other day or so. That and the worry about quality and price. I can tell from past experinces in almost everything, the old saying they don't make them like they used to, is so very true in todays world.

My budget makes me want to spend less then I would have years ago. If I can find a deal on a new amp for less than a grand, more so at the price of less than $800.00 I would be thrilled to purchase something tube and spring reverb.

I don't used all that much gain or looking for a "crunch" sound, just a lot of fat tone and reverb. My late brother used to call it, sound like that old Fender bullfrog late at night. LOL!

The Fender Champ 100 2x12 I have now is a very nice amp, but the reverb is so flat even cranked up, just sounds like a dead chicken on the road! And at low volumes is does not respond well to anything I set it on, it only kicks in when the neighbors would desire calling the cops for too much noise from being too loud. Anything under a 6 volume setting it is like dead lifeless. Turn it up and just too much. I am not that close to neighbors but they are not used to hearing guitars even in the background of their life. I don't blame them, I appreciate how polite and quiet they are as well.

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
I had a similar experience with my first 2x12 combo amp at age 16 also. My friends raved about the Peavey Renown 400. It was the biggest POS I've ever had. It was back in the shop for warranty repairs 3 times within the first year ... and then back again out of warranty. It caused me so much trouble that I never touched another Peavey again. :(
I know you have stated you are also looking for that one amp for the sound you want, but really for less than a grand, even better at around $800.00, would I be better off looking at other amps then a Fender? The price is a factor but I would desire (naturally) quality as well.

My last visit to Guitar Center, here I am checking out a few Fender Amps and someone walks in with a Princeton amp with a lot of anger, something burned up in the back of the amp, you could smell it really bad, the amp they stated they only had it for less then one month! They are ticked off and I don't blame them, so this is why I am shy about a Fender amp now. The one I have is new for the most part, just a few months old, but I baby it compared to what some might be really cranking on it.

DrBeGood

Dr. Squier
Dec 9, 2014
QC, CANADA
Have to ask, is this amp going to burn up tubes often? I do not play loud and not playiing for more than an hour every other day or so. That and the worry about quality and price. I can tell from past experinces in almost everything, the old saying they don't make them like they used to, is so very true in todays world.
I've had both for about 5 years, and just last month blew a small 12AX7. The amp was really cranked for a while. Cheap to replace. Apart from that, no problem whatsoever. It doesn't have a spring reverb, but the 3 digital provided sound real good.

For the amount you're looking to spend, buy a Super Champ AND a Monoprice 15W.

AxelMorisson

Squier-holic
Nov 15, 2021
Fagaras, Romania
Horses for courses guys. I will let the images do the talking. The other day I took a stroll in a park- a large park, a huge park, and it has a lake in the center, enough to have the National Kayak team train there regularly and to have small sightseeing boats and three small islands, you get it, it's a lot of park, ok? And then there's my camera- a very nicely stabilized Canon with a 200 mm lens on it.. and on the other shore of this lake, there was the guy in the pic below, and he played -very nicely I might add- that contraption I strongly suspect was of his own making- observe the HINGE in the middle of the body, wtf. But still- the thing sounded DIVINE, and .. I could hear it from across the park, over the lake, screaming children and barking dogs and quacking ducks and ...I took out my long lens and I found him. Look at the amp, the guitar has a PIEZO system over all that.. so it seems a small VOX can do miracles. I suspect that dirty handbag hides something like a truck battery .Have fun no matter what you choose! After all, solid state or tube, what wattage, which brand.. etc...you can try the amps as well in music shops - did they re-open already ? (here they did). And as it's perfectly fine to try guitars out, why not..AMPS? IMG_1888.JPG

Lanaka

AKA GhostGuitars
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2020
Honolulu, HI
From what I've observed, tubes are considered consumables, they go thru extreme heat cycles as they're turned on/off. That's why there's a delay that must be observed between turn on and can use. The tubes need be stabilized at working temps before hitting them with the noises. 😁

It's my understanding that the tubes can last longer as long as ye observe the above, use properly rated tubes (many cheaper amps come with under rated tubes installed, swap these out and they'll last longer) and not excessively hit them with max gain at max volumes all the times.

It's a fact that when cared for* and installed with a properly matched tubes, and not abused, they'll provide a lifetime of use.

* This includes NOT handling them with bare hands. The oils from skin will leave a residue on glass that will at minimum get baked onto glass becoming a permanent marking to at worse cause a hot spot that may cause the glass to fail and render the formerly vacuum tube useless.

AxelMorisson

Squier-holic
Nov 15, 2021
Fagaras, Romania
true, normal valves/tubes should not get so hot that they get in trouble by differential dilatation caused by fingerprints...true, when you have one of those fancy mirror plated all naked tube amp with the tubes laid out bare to gawk upon, fingerprints DO look bad... In my little 15 Watter that 12AX7 tube is home to three fingerprints, the tech that must have installed it... and maybe someone else down the line...no probs, use it every 2-3 days for a couple of hours, well into its 5th year of faithful service. Granted it's a preamp tube but still...

Eddie

My Squier is on Fire !!!
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2016
New York
I know you have stated you are also looking for that one amp for the sound you want, but really for less than a grand, even better at around $800.00, would I be better off looking at other amps then a Fender? The price is a factor but I would desire (naturally) quality as well.

My last visit to Guitar Center, here I am checking out a few Fender Amps and someone walks in with a Princeton amp with a lot of anger, something burned up in the back of the amp, you could smell it really bad, the amp they stated they only had it for less then one month! They are ticked off and I don't blame them, so this is why I am shy about a Fender amp now. The one I have is new for the most part, just a few months old, but I baby it compared to what some might be really cranking on it.

I've given up on tube amps. Easier to go with SS. Prices are more reasonable also. I just want a nice SS amp with a good clean tone that takes pedals well.

I'm gonna snag a Roland Micro Tube to lub around. All my other amps are the biggies, and they're impossible to move around.

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
From what I've observed, tubes are considered consumables, they go thru extreme heat cycles as they're turned on/off. That's why there's a delay that must be observed between turn on and can use. The tubes need be stabilized at working temps before hitting them with the noises. 😁

It's my understanding that the tubes can last longer as long as ye observe the above, use properly rated tubes (many cheaper amps come with under rated tubes installed, swap these out and they'll last longer) and not excessively hit them with max gain at max volumes all the times.

It's a fact that when cared for* and installed with a properly matched tubes, and not abused, they'll provide a lifetime of use.

* This includes NOT handling them with bare hands. The oils from skin will leave a residue on glass that will at minimum get baked onto glass becoming a permanent marking to at worse cause a hot spot that may cause the glass to fail and render the formerly vacuum tube useless.
Good advice, I looked at a few websites for the prices on what is reviewed to being high end tubes...the prices are in orbit for a set. I imagine some of that would depend on what a particular amp would require. What ever amp I finally purchase, I am sure it would not take nor need super tubes as I would not be buying a higher watt power output.