Aches and Pains

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
There’s nothing to give for it. She just stays in bed a couple days and rides it out.
Many people do suffer from a form of vertigo that there is no medicine for it. I had what is called floaters, makes you feel like you are bobbing in water up and down all the time, even while sitting down. I had some excess water retention in my legs that was big part of that. I had already tried the "reset" of inner ear crystals which normally are the culprit of vertigo. For some very unknow reason after suffering vertigo, it went away! I am sure now having no issues with it for over two years that it will not return, been free of it now for over a year.

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
Sorry you had to go through all that. I hope no one takes it as political when I say our commercial healthcare system is a badly broken failure that needs major changes...changes which seem like they'll never happen thanks to....well, that would get into politics lol
I'll say it in a way, our insurance now stinks, my Blue Cross had a cap on coverage when i was still in my late 50's and started to have MS, which I no longer have any treastments for it, got rid of having any problems with it by controlling my diet, it thrives in some folks that eat some food products protien that triggers it. For me it was the protein in chicken and also some compounds found in white bleached flour, you know that good ol' Wonder Bread! I do not eat any white flour products nor chicken and have no problems ever since. In fact I do not even think of having MS because I no longer suffer from it at all.

Health Care in general has gone to hell. Finding a great MD that is willing to think out side of the box is hard to do now days, but I found one and he is like family with me now.

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
Unrelated to guitar playing, i tore my right rotator cuff back around 2000. Took chondroitin glucosamine (sp?) for about a year (expensive stuff!) and it went away.

but now, at 70, the pain is kinda back and playing any deep bodied acoustic (like my Epi EJ-160e John Lennon model) causes my right shoulder to hurt... have all but stopped playing my acoustics and am about to start on the chondroitin stuff again.

in addition, also unrelated to guitar playing, some arthritis in my left thumb joint acts up now and then but it doesn't interfere with playing... stretching it out on the keyboard sure does... but gripping a guitar neck is no problem.

part of getting older... sorry to hear some of youse guys have some tougher issues to deal with.

me, right now, gots the taxman blues. yeah, be thankful he don't take it all... as it is, might have to sell three or four of my more expensive guitars. sucks.
Geez ol Pete I can sure relate to all that. I wanted a thick hollow body Guild guitar until I played one. To thick for me, hurt my shoulder to play it for 10 minutes and had to seek another avenue for a new easy to play guitar. My Strat is fine in the comfort zone but to get the action low enough for my weakened hands I now have one fret creating a dead zone not really a buzz. I hesitate to do anything to the fret involved as the frets show zero wear, the guitar has perhaps less that 40 hours playing time on it and is in close to new condition. If I want to sell it off, I want the new owner to not have to worry about the condition to be made less by my working on that fret. If the neck relief is put back, the shim removed from the neck pocket, it goes back to factory settings for everything and no issue with the one fret in the area creating a problem with my setup being such an extremely low action.

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
Strange, I have also been suffering with vertigo only in the last few weeks. It comes and goes and has improved a bit, but when it started it was like my brain went into tilt mode for a few seconds, quite a scary thing.
I've been taking anti histamine tablets which seem to help.

@OOMTOM, what Meds are you taking for this ?

I've come across a few people who have this lately, I'm wondering if it is a long term effect of covid ( I had delta July last year ) or it's a side effect of the vac ( which I haven't had )

If I play guitar loud with headphones it definitely aggravates it, seems to be the low tones that do this.

Getting old sucks , along with joint stiffness in colder months , previous back operation doesn't help either.

But enough about me.......
Any travel that altitude would come into the vertigo problem? Airplane? Some can have that due to being on an Airplane. I have had a form of vertigo but not exactly the same as you. I have a cousin that has exactly like you in his vertigo issues but he had been told by the Doctor he had for treatment and was told his inner ear crystals got off due to being at a high altitude, so he was on an RX for it and also had his head tilted one way and then tilted back to reset it all. Now no vertigo but no plane rides either.

grizzlewulf

Squier-holic
Dec 11, 2020
Lucerne, California
I can share some with you and perhaps it will give you some information you can use.

No scecret I am old. 80 this year. I just am getting back into playing. I have guitar straps but have to sit and play. I forgo a bad habit of looking at my hands on the positions while reaching to hit a note or chord as it is not good for back or neck and like typing, memorizing helps what you type, the same is true playing.

If you have nerve issues, a Doctor can give you an RX for pills that help get rid of some of the nerve pain. I take an RX of Gabapenten. a variety of things like AHCC, MSM, Viatamin D, C, A, B Complex just for joints, nerve pain, and bones. It does help very much. Staying active if you do not get out and walk, do it. It helps.

The gateway to health also dental issues. Dentist should make it clear on NOT using the wrong toothbrush. Over time your gums get small microscopic cuts from a too firm toothbrush which allows gum disease to take place and destroy your gums. Then tooth loss comes along. A super soft brush stops that can reverse damage done and cleans the tooth better leaving teeth feeling smooth and more clean with less effort. Floss or using a small brush they make to go in between your teeth is very good.

Diet also comes into play in life. Love your greens. Refrain from too much bread items, cakes pies pastry cut back, carrots, apples very good and grapes even better oranges great! I had two strokes and a heart attack while already in the hospital, I blame the stupid Covid restrictions as they would not allow my Wife to visit nor give me my supplements. I was suffering from pneumonia originally. With my having to be in the Hospital for about the entire year 2021, I am lucky to be alive. My recovery has been fairly good, walking now but on a darn portable machine. Currently a goal is to get off the oxygen aides as I have had some good results from what I do daily and my Doctor thinks I can meet that goal in a few more months.

Playing the guitar is also a means of improving my hands and arms strength. I am loving it.

So I hope I have given you even one thing that may help you out. You are so young and should have a long wonderful life. I have no doubt I can live to pass the age mark of 90. My Father lived to be fairly old, same with my Mother. Life is a blast! Dying is a mystery, and I really have no interest to find out what the beyond life may hold, even though I do believe there is some form of life after death.

Thank you...I'm glad you're recovering from what sounds like a dreadfully tough 2021. You've definitely given me some things to think about as I look forward :)

Uncle Joe

Squier-holic
Dec 18, 2015
Jersey
I'll be sixty by the end of the year. I think of guitar playing as therapeutic, mentally, emotionally and even physically. Stress relief. Physically I have some issues, most are injury related. Going backward in time, I have nerve damage from a back issue that caused loss of feeling down my left shin. My Walmart inversion table helps with that. I broke my right foot playing soccer a couple of years ago and that hurts from time to time. My right heel pains me if I wear flat shoes and that took over six months to correct by wearing the right kicks. My knees are pretty messed up. I had two surgeries as a kid, that ended my short professional career and saw me try to rejuvenate myself at university. Never the same. I exacerbated the old injuries by remodeling our bathrooms amid the pandemic. Too much time on the knees really hurt me. That took about a year before I could kneel without pain. I broke my left shin, left wrist, left pinkie, four toes and two teeth playing hockey. Lost a tooth out there too. Also tore abdominal muscles. Not very common. That was an adventure. I went to a few doctors. Never again will I ask, "Are you sure it's not a hernia?"

Anyway, more than one doctor, over the years, told me to get off my feet and play guitar to relax and heal.

Now that I've stopped playing team sport for good, I gained weight, my liver activity skyrocketed from eating and drinking, and my blood pressure went up. I'm happy to report that I addressed the issues, stopped drinking, started playing guitar more, changed my diet and started taking long walks while dribbling a soccer ball on the sidewalks, down the streets, through the woods and in and around the park. Plus, easy bike riding on the rail trails helps.

Quitting drinking was the first step. Playing guitar and relaxing was the next step toward feeling better and getting on a pathway to healthier living, lower weight and lower blood pressure and exercise without pain. Now I just need to stay away from contact sport. They see me with my ball on the pitch again and I just got invited to join another top traveling over fifty club. "No way." "Why not, you're in shape." "Because nothing hurts right now."

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
Thank you...I'm glad you're recovering from what sounds like a dreadfully tough 2021. You've definitely given me some things to think about as I look forward :)
Yep it was a bad news moment in my life span 2021. BUT on the flip side I know what to do and what not to do and will share my experiences. I was in fairly much great condition and worked in many career choices from owning my own building maintenance company, vice president of transamerica finance, executive management in both general finance and household finance, machinest for my father's company microbore division of areojet general, and having my own commerical building company. All of that after two tours is the US Navy and before the US Navy I was working in a music store. I have basically worked from the age of 12 years old and aside from the music store I worked in a Gemco store grocery department part time bagging food! Being super active was a big part of good health.

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
I'll be sixty by the end of the year. I think of guitar playing as therapeutic, mentally, emotionally and even physically. Stress relief. Physically I have some issues, most are injury related. Going backward in time, I have nerve damage from a back issue that caused loss of feeling down my left shin. My Walmart inversion table helps with that. I broke my right foot playing soccer a couple of years ago and that hurts from time to time. My right heel pains me if I wear flat shoes and that took over six months to correct by wearing the right kicks. My knees are pretty messed up. I had two surgeries as a kid, that ended my short professional career and saw me try to rejuvenate myself at university. Never the same. I exacerbated the old injuries by remodeling our bathrooms amid the pandemic. Too much time on the knees really hurt me. That took about a year before I could kneel without pain. I broke my left shin, left wrist, left pinkie, four toes and two teeth playing hockey. Lost a tooth out there too. Also tore abdominal muscles. Not very common. That was an adventure. I went to a few doctors. Never again will I ask, "Are you sure it's not a hernia?"

Anyway, more than one doctor, over the years, told me to get off my feet and play guitar to relax and heal.

Now that I've stopped playing team sport for good, I gained weight, my liver activity skyrocketed from eating and drinking, and my blood pressure went up. I'm happy to report that I addressed the issues, stopped drinking, started playing guitar more, changed my diet and started taking long walks while dribbling a soccer ball on the sidewalks, down the streets, through the woods and in and around the park. Plus, easy bike riding on the rail trails helps.

Quitting drinking was the first step. Playing guitar and relaxing was the next step toward feeling better and getting on a pathway to healthier living, lower weight and lower blood pressure and exercise without pain. Now I just need to stay away from contact sport. They see me with my ball on the pitch again and I just got invited to join another top traveling over fifty club. "No way." "Why not, you're in shape." "Because nothing hurts right now."
Great you have found your way to much better health. Each of us do life in our own way, getting to live better as we gain age and wisdom is wonderful. I like what you have shared, thanks! God speed!

Naked Strat Brat

Squier-Meister
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 27, 2022
North, Snow, UFO Ville!
My friend's wife was a dental hygienist for years and is currently suffering crippling carpal tunnel syndrome. He explained to me that it's a huge problem in the dental field. Many of them have to give up work because it becomes too painful. I had no idea - not an occupation I thought would cause physical disabilities.
Wow. Yeah you would think anyone in that field of work would only have to worry about someone biting them or slipping on the floor! Carpal tunnel is a real biotch! Sorry it happened to your friend's wife.

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Fact is that any activity that uses one set of muscles and/or keeps one in a single position, weeks, months, years on end, will lead to issues.

Think of a guitar always played in the fifth position. That position's frets will wear out while the rest of the guitar could appear as almost new.

And so it is with us.

There is greater awareness of this than there was at earlier periods of the age of specialization. And, thankfully, greater 'care' that such is the case.

Many office workers that have Apple Watches set theirs to sound a quick alert every x number of minutes. That so they get up and stand or walk about a bit at those intervals. And more and more employers allow for this.

Is such thought about when one plans their life's work? Perhaps not widely.

I can't say that I thought about the physical wear and tear of this 'occupatin' or that. But I did think of avoiding repetitiveness. I may have known little as a younger man, but I did know I wanted to love each day of my life and chose what I did accordingly. For variety. For control. -Not just for the $$s.

So much is (or can be) that way. I think we should be encouraged to think about these things early in life, not just pay the penalty later. Just as we should think about financial responsibility. The 'wear and tear' of home and family life. (Three four or five kids? I've have gone mad! Yet women, especially, just accepted that lot in life as normal. Not just the diapers and all, but the incessant need for child-level conversation.)

Same goes for so much in life and keeping it rewarding.

-don

brians

Squier-holic
Oct 1, 2017
South Africa
Any travel that altitude would come into the vertigo problem? Airplane? Some can have that due to being on an Airplane. I have had a form of vertigo but not exactly the same as you. I have a cousin that has exactly like you in his vertigo issues but he had been told by the Doctor he had for treatment and was told his inner ear crystals got off due to being at a high altitude, so he was on an RX for it and also had his head tilted one way and then tilted back to reset it all. Now no vertigo but no plane rides either.
Thanks for the response, no travel altitude issues, this just came out of the blue. It can even happen if I turn over in bed, not a pleasant sensation at all, seriously feels like my brain is on tilt.

It's got a bit better recently but like it happened yesterday in the dentist chair, the whole world spins out for a short time, I'm really hoping it's an inner ear thing.

I have spent many years, subjecting my ears to very loud music including a lot of time using headphones at high levels.

I'm now being very careful with volumes and thinking maybe I did some damage but it's definitely not tinnitus, which I've been checked for.

Thanks for the comment.

jamesgpobog

Squier-holic
Feb 18, 2020
SoCal
Strange, I have also been suffering with vertigo only in the last few weeks. It comes and goes and has improved a bit, but when it started it was like my brain went into tilt mode for a few seconds, quite a scary thing.
I've been taking anti histamine tablets which seem to help.

@OOMTOM, what Meds are you taking for this ?

I've come across a few people who have this lately, I'm wondering if it is a long term effect of covid ( I had delta July last year ) or it's a side effect of the vac ( which I haven't had )

If I play guitar loud with headphones it definitely aggravates it, seems to be the low tones that do this.

Getting old sucks , along with joint stiffness in colder months , previous back operation doesn't help either.

But enough about me.......
Look up Menier's Disease.

SoundDesign

Squier-holic
Mar 8, 2016
Great. White. North.
I've just been referred to a rheumatologist for inflammation, stiffness and pain in my joints and muscles. It moves around but has not let up for the past three months. It is toughest on the hobby when it's worst in my hands, which has been the case for the past week or so.

duceditor

Squier-Axpert
May 29, 2014
The Monadnocks, NH USA
Several here have mentioned having a recent onset of vertigo. Along with the general known causes there is a relative new one that is showing up, not yet in the general 'press' (media), but in the medical journals.

Since even (or is that especially?) among those in the medical field this is a discouraged subject we might ourselves concider raising it if such fits our own case.

-don

grizzlewulf

Squier-holic
Dec 11, 2020
Lucerne, California
Day 2.5 of antibiotics and I'm feeling a bit less symptoms in terms of severity and frequency, so that's good. But it's by no means completely gone.

I'm becoming more and more convinced it's some kind of inner ear and/or sinus fluid problem...it's all connected in there after all.

In the interest of clearing my sinuses, I had my first Neti pot existence last night...that was kind of a trip lol